Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CV Thanks

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Lars F, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    After playing the CV for a couple of weeks I'm still very happy.
    The only thing I'm not 100% in love with is the bridge pickup. It's just too wide open in the top end. The guitar sounds amazing with the neck pickup and the middle position is very nice also, but for me, the bridge alone has too much treble..
    So I'm thinking about trying a different bridge pickup. I have a Kent Armstrong TCHB-1 that I might install or I could try changing to alnico II's - the toneriders are suppose to sound pretty good..

Any advise on pickup selection when the bridge is too bright?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lars

2. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Turn down the tone knob ;)

65 Champ Amp likes this.

3. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Yeah, thanks - not really a great solution, though ;)

Regards,

Lars

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    If you play in a band, you'll come to love the bridge pickup. It can get to the back of a room without needing ear bleed volume levels. Before replacing it, check the pickup height is roughly within Fender specs. Play with the height. You may find that overcomes it. Why not try substituting the pickup from your Tex Mex?. Not a long or difficult job to do next time you change the strings.
    Try finessing your amp controls too. A roll off of treble and a little mid push here and there can work wonders. Does it get too trebley when using a pedal, or is it too much when clean.

Mechanic and Lars F like this.

5. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    I only play for my personal amusement at the moment, so it's not really about cutting through the mix.
    While it did take away some top end, lowering the pickup lost some transients as well, thats why I think it will maybe be best to live with the sound as is or swab pickups.
    Yes, as mentioned I might try changing to the Kent Armstrong pickup that is in my retired Tex Mex tele, but before I dig out the soldering iron, I thought I would gather some advise from the kind folks on the forum. Maybe I should just do it and I can offer my opinion.
    Adding a pedal like a tube screamer takes away some highs(and lows) and though this is a sound I really like, its the native sound of the bridge pickup I'm not totally in love with.

Regards,

Lars

Mechanic likes this.

6. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Ok, so I changed the bridge pickup to a Kent Armstrong TCHR-1 alnico 5 DCR=8k5 and it sounds much more to my liking. More midrange "honk" and less treble. Luckily it didn't ruin the tonal balance in the middle position. Very happy with that.

I did change the pots for some CTS 250K and replaced the tone cap with an orange drop.
    Also, I replaced the output jack with a Switchcraft.
    This really was not necessary imo, but I thought I might as well since I was poking around anyway.

I'm still amazed at how much guitar you get with the Classic Vibe's and I'm already thinking about an esquire adventure for a future project.. Still keeping an eye out for a strat as well..

Regards,

Lars

7. o'Romany

o'Romany TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Pinchetel
    I kept the original steel saddles on the E and A strings and changed the others to brass on my CVC. Calmed things down a lot whilst keeping it tight on the lower end.

Have also made other mods but that's another story, suffice to say this guitar is on a par with any other that I've either owned or played.

Enjoy!

ebb soul likes this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    That was my first thought as well. When I first got the CV BSB I loved the neck pup but really disliked the bridge pup at first. But using the tone knob made all the difference in the world. I actually start with the tone all the way down and start slowly dialing it back up. Most of the time I end up right around the 40-45% mark. It just sings there when coupled with the neck in the middle position... the perfect blend of warmth and harmonic ring... and plenty of tonal range on either side. Not directed at the OP at all, but I feel too many players search for a tone from their pups that sound perfect with the tone pot all the way up. That's great and all because it is quick and easy to find your sweet spot, but it only leaves you one directional to go tonally with your tone pot. I much prefer something that sings to me tonally around the 50% mark so I've got plenty of creative tonal swing either direction.

I figured before I even bought it that I would swap out the pups, but after I learned how to dial them in I wouldn't even now consider changing them!

tintag27, YOSTINATOR and Lars F like this.

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Hello my fellow Dane !
    I actually really like the bridge pu on the CV a3 equipped Teles. So much so that I have swapped one in on my CVC bridge. My other CVC have a Seymour D Broadcaster in the bridge , and I like the CV a3 better.
    Also have a set of CV pu's installed in a partscaster
    I have a Cavalier Fat Lion in a different partscaster , that is my current favorite. The others arent bad though....

Lars F and Tony474 like this.

11. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks for the comments, guys..!

No problem for me, that you are getting the result you wan't with different solutions. It's all good and we all have different tastes and needs, so of course there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

For me, the A3 in the CV 50's was too much treble and I'm very happy that I changed it out. It also tought me, that you can mix A3 and A5's.
    It is important to me, that the native sound of the guitar is good and there is balance between bridge and neck pickups, as I only have a little 5F1 type tweed amp with no tone controls here at home. So no way to tweak without adding pedals.

viking, great to hear from another Dane! I wish you hadn't mentioned that Fat Lion. After googling it I'm dying to try one. They are nicely priced too. Sounds like it could sound great in an Esquire type thing..

I was thinking about the A3's in the CV 50's and thought that they might sound better in the CVC since it has rosewood fretboard and alder body and so should in theory sound "darker" than the pine and maple CV 50's. Maybe you can offer an opinion, viking..

Regards,

Lars

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Since I have both the BSB and the Custom (both have the same Alnico 5 pickups) I can say that the Custom (to my ears) doesn't really sound "darker" at all. It actually sounds quite thin, tinny, and less resonant when compared to the BSB. Same pickups, but lots of different variables at play... weight, type of body wood, type of fretboard wood, saddle material, etc...

I do prefer the tone from my 50s BSB quite a bit more than from my 60s custom. I am glad they are different tonally (otherwise it would be the same guitar that just looks different). But there is something missing from my Custom. I am going to put some brass saddles on there to see if that warms it up a bit more. I don't know if it is the steel saddles that make it sound thin or what, but since I love those pups in my BSB I'm going to say it isn't the pups in my Custom making it sound thin. Hopefully a saddle swap will help.

Route67 likes this.

13. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

He put an OBEY sticker on it.

14. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    Real man plays stock squiers classic vibes.

tintag27 likes this.

15. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Are you clairvoyant?

I changed the strings and yesterday when plugging in, suddenly the guitar has less output and is lacking treble. Sounds like the controls are rolled off half way.

Oh the irony after just upgrading the electronics.

Did a search and it seems others have had the same problem before, but I found no-one with a solution.

All there is left of the original electronics is the neck pickup and the switch.
    The pickup measures 7K15 so should be well within spec. I read that others have had problems with the pickup, so tried disconnecting it, but no difference..

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Regards,

Lars

16. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    Coated strings?

17. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Ernie Ball 09's. I did go from pure nickel to Super Slinky's, but the volume drop suggests there is more in play..
    I suspect there might be a cold solder joint in my amp, as I have tried everything I can think of with the guitar including routing pickups straight to the output jack.
    I have no other amp handy, so will take the 5f1 clone apart and see if I can spot something.

Regards,

Lars

18. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    So, after taking the amp apart and reflowing a couple of solderjoints it worked!
    But when I put the amp back in it's place in the living room it stopped working again..
    After I was done cursing, realized that the only thing I had changed was the cable.
    Switched that to the one I used for testing an voila - everything working again..
    So, no problem with either guitar or amp, just a faulty cable.

Live and learn I guess..

Regards,

Lars

19. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    This has turned into a monolog..

Reading the OP is kinda fun, it really was my intention to leave it stock, but since I already heated the soldering iron I installed a 4-way switch. Kinda neat to have a beefy humbucker sound available .

There was also some static when scratching the pickguard, so I put copper tape on the back of the guard and grounded it. No more static.

I really am so happy with the guitar, much more than my old MIM tele.

Regards,

Lars

20. Jaysny2000

Jaysny2000 NEW MEMBER!

Jun 30, 2017
    South Africa
    Lars F - Just bought myself a second hand CV tele (2010) and have the same issue - was a Les Paul guy (still have that) but honestly my CV feels better to play than my Gibson Les Paul Studio (2003 model). The only thing I would say against my new CV is the bridge pup. I probably just need to dial in the right tone on my amp I guess, but the neck pup is everything I was hoping for!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.