CV Tele-- no treble bleed capacitor?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by wpkg, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wpkg

wpkg TDPRI Member

Hi,

I just opened up the control plate on my CV tele to tighten up the jack cup, (its now crooked and still loosening up again) and saw that there was no treble bleed capacitor on the volume pot. I thought this was a standard tele thing. are they not on any teles any more or just this model? I will put one on as it did wonders for my LP, but was curious as to whether or not this was no longer a standard tele thing.

and since im going to operate... will cts pots fit through this control plate and into the stock knobs? and what value should my treble bleed cap be for single coils? it was .001 for humbuckers...

thanks!

2. cotecj

cotecj Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2008
    Maine
    I don't think any Telecasters come stock with a treble bleed cap. I would highly recommend doing the "50's mod". Do a search on this site and you will find tons of info. You move the tone control from the input of the volume pot to the output. It eliminates the treble cut when turning the volume down, and I feel it makes the tone control more sensitive. Plus, you only have to move one wire, no added components.

3. wpkg

wpkg TDPRI Member

so it does the same thing as a treble bleed cap? that sounds cool. i will check it out... thanks

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    I think the HWY1's come stock with a treble bleed Fender calls it the greasebucket but its really just a treble bleed mod.

5. cotecj

cotecj Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2008
    Maine
    No, the greasebucket is a different tone circuit. It has a second capacitor and a different arrangement of the tone pot to give a steeper curve to the treble cutoff. No treble bleed cap there.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/100934-greasebucket-tone-control.html

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
  7. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Hey cotecj, As you suggested, I did a search for '50's mod' on this site and either got no matches or way too much info regarding the '50's Classic Tele!

Is there a wiring diagram that exists of the mod you descibe? I'd like to give it a go on my oldest '52RI. I've always left the little ic503Z cap in there, but would like the idea of 'treble bleed' on the volume if the '50's mod' works.

Also, does the .022uF mylar cap that comes with the AV52 do the same job? (i.e. retain treble frequencies when you roll the volume down).

Thanks,

8. tonyguitargoat

tonyguitargoat Tele-Meister

Sep 3, 2003
    I've now done the "50's" mod on nearly all my guitars - Fenders, Gibsons and others, and love it. I can't believe I've spent over 30 years fiddling about with treble-bleed caps and resistors trying to compensate for treble loss, only to find that different values were needed for different pickups, different amps, and different cables (!). This mod is SO easy, and makes perfect sense - putting the tone cap AFTER you've dropped the level, not before. Why didn't I discover this years ago?

9. wpkg

wpkg TDPRI Member

10. cotecj

cotecj Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2008
    Maine
    What this diagram does not show is that, on a stock tele, the wire represented by the red line goes from the top (in the picture) lug of the tone pot to the top lug of the volume pot. You are going to move it to the middle lug on the volume pot, as indicated.

11. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    That's great cotecj, thanks!

Scotland, thanks for the diagram!

Thanks,

12. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just did this mod to my Squier Standard Tele. It works GREAT!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

13. TeleHH

TeleHH TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Waldo, WI.
    Works On a HH Too!

Hey, I just did this mod on my Tele HH...! Works great! I had used a
    .001 treble bleed setup and it was ok but seemed to suck a slight amount of tone I wanted, so I removed it. This works sweet and as someone else commented, 'makes so much sense'

14. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

Jan 3, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    IMHO, this mod's better than a bleed cap. I run it on one of my tele's. The others have neither bleed caps nor the fezz parka, since I tend to run the vol. wide open all the time.

15. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    Do yourself a favor and change that stock jack out to an Electrosocket. You'll eliminate the headches you are now experiencing!

16. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The only thing with that mod is that the tone and volume pot end up having a weird interaction where the tone pot will actually roll off volume as you turn it down.

Some people don't mind it or even like it but to me it was annoying. I switched over to Gibson 50's wiring instead:

[​IMG]

Just something to be aware of.

17. wpkg

wpkg TDPRI Member

this is the same thing but with the tone cap in line between the two pots right? wouldnt this also cause Tone to roll of Volume?

18. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It doesn't seem to, though I suppose I could be hearing things.

I'm not great with schematics so someone please pipe in if any of these are wrong, but the difference between the two seems to be the location of the tone cap in the circuit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, I'm not great with electrical schematics or electrical logic in general, but with both mods the circuit is altered such that the signal travels through the volume pot and then exits into the tone circuit. With the Fezz Parka mod the signal seems to travel through the tone pot first and the output of the tone pot then goes through the cap to ground. Whereas with the 50's mod you change the wiring of the tone pot such that the signal travels through the cap first, then enters and exits the tone pot to ground.

Now electrically speaking I have no real idea what the difference is, if any, but there certainly seems to be a difference to me.

Edit: I suppose it should say "from switch" but I'm too lazy to change it now.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

This'll do it to.

[​IMG]

I just do the other one 'cuz it involves moving just one wire, and I kind of like what it does with the volume rollof thing. It accentuates the "wah" thing when you roll it up. YMMV.:D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.