Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CV Esquire

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by bryan83, Jul 2, 2017.

1. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    I've owned my CV 50s since 2009 I think. Loved it from day one, couldn't believe how great a Squier could be. After a few years of ownership I converted it to an an Esquire just for fun. Loved it even more. Never did like the neck pickup on a tele anyways.

Threw it up on craigslist a month ago along with my CVC to help fund an amp. Sold the CVC
    But when it came to sell this thing I couldn't do it. After plugging it in to tune it up I had to call off the deal.

So recently I decided to put some money in this thing. Put in a SD Broadcaster pickup, new wiring harness with CTS, PIO caps, switchcraft jack, and eldred mod. And a white pickgurard to mix things up.

Very happy with her!

[​IMG]

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sounds familiar (though I've never tried to sell mine). I did almost entirely the same mod, but kept the stock pickup. Can't find a reason to experiment with any other. This is my go-to guitar, my favorite one to play. I have much higher confidence on it, am more comfortable and feel I can still get three usable tones from the settings. It just has it all.

FWIW, I recently put a 3 ply wbw pickguard on it and it really made the details jump out somehow. Minor change but much classier now.

Enjoy - I want another to esquire and then another to keep stock. Love the CVs.

Attached Files:

3. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI

I like that bridge cover man. Is that the stock bridge? Just curious if they fit on the stocker. I'd like to pick one up. Just for looks though, I spend some time picking down there over the pickup when playing.

4. rockymtnguitar

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's the stock bridge, yes, and the basic $15 Fender cover. I use it some of the time, mostly just for fun. I agree - it looks awesome and gives additional character. Anyway, it fit perfectly.

bryan83 likes this.

5. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    In my search for an ashtray cover I ended up ordering this Chinese Bigsby B5 copy. Not sure how it happened but read some good reviews on here. I'll post some updates when I get it on :)

[​IMG]

RoscoeElegante and Gibson like this.

6. rockymtnguitar

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Nice - can you link that? And what threads mention it? I haven't seen it and need an inexpensive Bigsby solution.

7. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horseshoe-B...481039&hash=item51f68b2354:g:xVMAAOSw9OFZGYky

Pretty good price too. What I love about these CVs is I'm not afraid to mess them up! If it's junk I'll just order a real one. I'm only out $20.

And here's a thread on it from TDPRI

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/chinese-bigsby-thoughts.655886/

Also, I really did enjoy the stock pickup. It's great and I'm going to hold onto it. But the SD broadcaster pickup is cheap ($65) so I figured I'd give it a try. They are very similar. But, the SD has a bit more clarity and punch than the stocker. I'm happy with it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

8. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I also did something similar with my CV. Kept the stock pup because I had another Tele that I got an RSGuitarworks harness for and Broadcaster type pup (hand made by Fezzter) and played that for a long time.
    Recently decided to put a neck pup in and on a whim I stuck the harness in the CV.
    And wow. That stock pup just rips. The 3rd position sounds more nuanced too and even usable clean. Not so with the Fezz.

Nice looking Esq ya got there. Heres mine.
    20170129_144422-1.jpg
    Not a fan of the blondes you might notice

9. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    Nice Esquire too! Yes, the stock pickup is pretty great. It's very similar to the Broadcaster pickup.

I've been really loving the cocked wah mode. Sounds pretty amazing with some mild OD. Through my new Timmy or just straight into my Vibro Champ. Love this thing.

Still waiting on that fake Chinese Bigsby. I'll post up pics of that when installed. Until then, here's more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Randypttt and metale like this.

10. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    Update:

"Chigsby" finally arrived from China. Looks and feels solid. I plan on installing it this weekend or even Friday. Install seems pretty straightforward. I plan on running some string on both Es too get proper alignment. Drill pilot holes, then drill it in the screws. Not too sure how to get that spring in there but I'll figure that one out. I also plan on modifying stock bridge to allow the strings to pass through.

I'm excited for it. Years ago I had a beautiful R7 custom 3 pickup with a bigsby. I loved it but sold it like an idiot. I think an Esquire and bigsby will be a good combo.

Only mocked up. I will post up pics when finished.

[​IMG]

Shango66 and Gibson like this.

11. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    Finished the install today. Modified the stock bridge. It's not pretty but it works! Install was pretty easy. Hardest part was modifying the stock bridge. I may throw on one of those modified bigsby gotoh bridges for $45 to clean it up.

I love me some bigsby vibrato so I'm happy about it and glad it went well. I suggest anyone looking for a cheap bigsby option to check these out. Only $20 shipped!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RoscoeElegante likes this.

12. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Nice! I have a Squier "Esquire" myself. As good as most other Tele's I've owned.

bryan83 likes this.

13. Matthew2

Matthew2 TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2017
    US
    There's only one guitar I truly regret letting go of and it's an Esquire. I don't usually subscribe to the idea of mojo and whatnot, but it was something special.

bryan83 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.