Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Customer Service - Reverse Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boil, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Saw a post about Lava Cables and some issues with customer service and that led to reading some more posts about poor customer service which got me thinking...

One of the best customer service experiences I have ever had was with PMI Audio Group, I had a question about connecting a Mic that was connected to a phantom power supply to a device also putting out phantom power, I called their number and talked to someone there who said 'it should be ok' but took all the details of the Mic and device and while I was on the line verified that there indeed there would be no problem.

Maybe its not super complicated and I wasn't having a 'problem' but they were just really helpful and did seem to go the extra mile to make sure I was ok with their product.

Sometimes its not all bad, in fact sometimes its really really good but you don't hear about those times all that often.

troy2003 and Mr Green Genes like this.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    There are a couple of standouts as far as I'm concerned. SKB is one, I've gotten handles for two cases from them just for the asking. Another is Ovation, they've sent me knobs and other small odd and ends on three occasions.

An Honorable Mention has to go to Fender. I couldn't say how many times I've emailed them serial numbers and gotten back spec sheets on guitars, usually the next day. I've also recommended that many others do this, and they all have had the same experience.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't know how they are now, but Ultimate Support, which is local, replaced parts on speaker stands that I bought used. They also sold me parts at cost on some other things. I don't think they manufacture anything here in Colorado anymore, however.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Voodoo Labs. They have been impressive. Replaced a switch on a pedal I bought used. Repaired a pedal I bought new, shipping there and back was paid for, and the repair cost me nothing. All I was out was a cardboard box and bubble wrap. They also sent free cables for my Pedal Power Plus 2, when *I* mistakenly ordered the wrong ones. When I said I'd be sure to send the ones I didn't need back, they said, "Don't worry about it". Turns out they were useful after all.

5. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Bought a Daisy Rock bass with active pickups. The battery door was broken, emailed them and she sent me a replacement. (The bass sounds great, well-balanced, plays well, stays in tune. (The pink metalflake would not sit well if I payed it at an NRA dance, but....)

6. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    Dewalt - I bought a used radial arm saw and sent them an e-mail asking if I could buy an owner's manual from them. Heard back within an hour that the manual was in the mail and there would be no charge.

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Jolida.
    I own a Jolida JD-100 CD player that I had issues with the logic function and display.
    They fixed it for me not once, but twice (apparently a tricky problem), called me on the phone and said it was all set (basically they replaced the entire logic circuit twice-the second time doing power supply for logic also), and shipped it back to me at no charge.
    And I was the third owner.
    The rep just said, "We want it to work right for you."
    It works just fine and sounds great.

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    As much as everyone hates on Gibson, they sent me the replacement titanium but for my 2015 junior and a replacement battery free of charge and no burden of proof. A simple email, they asked for my address and it showed up promptly.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I wrote to Carr about a used Carr Hammerhead amp I'd bought, they sent me a schematic and thanked me for taking the time to try to get the best out of the amp. Followed up a couple of other emails with answers and info, very helpful and friendly.

The Tube Guy likes this.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    A couple of different ebay sellers have immediately refunded my payment and then told me to keep the defective item.
    That's pretty good customer service IMO.

11. cwinn

cwinn TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Nashville
    After working at Gibson for almost 7 years, that makes me quite happy.

I'm currently a repair tech, and I've been doing this work for 15+ years. I can't tell you how many times manufacturers have been helpful with my repairs, frequently at no cost.

I always inform them that I am a repair tech, as any cost would be on the customer. But these companies provided me with components at no cost, and even covered shipping.

- I had a customer completely strip out the tension screw on a Schecter Hellraiser bridge. After trying a couple aftermarket parts, I called Schecter directly and they sent me a replacement saddle assembly, no charge.

- A customer had an Ovation acoustic with a replaced tuner - he really just wanted something similar to the other branded tuners. A quick call later, and they had one in the mail for me.

- Another customer replaced the 6th string tuner with a "drop-d" style tuner. He lost the original, but wanted to get as original as possible. I called G&L, and they had a new tuner in the mail before the day was over.

Not to mention St. Louis Music offering advice on an Alvarez produced before they owned the company, and Hoshino sending me parts for an Ibanez.

A polite phonecall goes a long way.

P Thought and troy2003 like this.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Glendale—sent me a set of grub and machine screws to last at least 5 partscasters. I didn’t even buy directly from his site.
    Rutters—terse, succinct, hard to get a hold of, whatever, the guy machined me some custom parts for same cost as stock.
    Sinasoid cables — 99 year warranty, ok sure. But they take care of the coil cable I bought from them at silly prices.
    Fender — answers questions quickly, took care of my Hot Rod back in 97 and nothing changed when they took care of my DRRI a few years ago.
    MojoTone — after getting the wrong transistors for a pedal build kit, they soldered the whole thing for me no extra cost.

13. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Mercedes Benz of all places. I needed an owners manual for my E320 years back, one of the local dealers ordered it for me for free. Needed a fog light lamp, the other local dealer GAVE me three of them. Didn't expect that. As for Fender, you can also call their customer service number and they'll email you the specs for your guitar as well as tell you what day it was "born".

14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I had the exact same experience, some years ago. Broke a collar on one of my stands, called to get a price, and the girl said it would be free, and no questions asked. I was astonished.

A nod also to BBE: I bought a 362 out of a sidewalk sale bin at the local music store, for twenty dollars. There was a nut missing off one of the 1/4" rear jacks. It was an odd size, or thread, I don't recall. After looking for one all over town, I reached out to the company and they happily sent me a whole pack of the nuts, and thanked me for trusting their gear enough to buy a used unit.

15. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Carvin, around 2005. I received a new Belair 2x12 combo amp from them, and one of the speakers was dead. They sent another quickly w/o needing the dead speaker back first (at all, actually).

Sweetwater has been really good when I've purchased items that I found didn't work for me.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Brings two instances to mind:

Digitech was awesome when I first hooked up my Jamman Stereo looper to my laptop to use their "management" software. The support person walked me Roth through it. Very nice.

The other one was Sweetwater while using EZDrummer2. They transferred me to the computer guy that walked me through my issue. Again very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.