Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Custom Wiring Query

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by lewiecox, Aug 25, 2017.

1. lewiecox

lewiecox NEW MEMBER!

Aug 25, 2017
    Cornwall
    Hi,

New here so forgive me if I'm come to the wrong area but it seems right?

I'm planning on building a tele-style guitar and wanted it to be a P-90 at the neck and some kind of hot single coil at the bridge (sounds great to me but please tell me now if that's a horrible idea)

What I'd also want to do, and what I'm asking about, is how I would go about wiring that with just 2 volume knobs, no tone and a two-way selector switch?

Would the wiring be any different if it were a 3 way switch?

Would I need a capacitor?

I've also read some stuff about the guitar sounding too trebley without a tone pot, or would a capacity fix this problem?

How easy would it be to have the switch in a Les Paul position, considering the wiring channels etc if i were cutting them myself?

As I'm sure you can tell I don't have much of a clue but I'm determined to build this as it would be perfect for my play style and so any help (a nice, easy to read schematic?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum!
    A P-90 in the neck of a Tele is a great idea. If you want to keep more treble, you can exchange 250k pots for 500k or even 1meg pots. Also, you can insert a "treble bleed" circuit-

[​IMG]
    ----------

2-way switch: upload_2017-8-29_10-15-29.jpeg

----------

3-way toggle (Ignore the tone connection, and treat each pup as a single-coil, as above):
    upload_2017-8-29_10-21-10.jpeg

These should get you started.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.