Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Custom" Vibrolux Reverb vs. 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nosuch, Sep 10, 2017.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Has anybody compared these amps? I have the Zinky designed "Custom" (from the 90s? – not sure because I bought it used) – how does the recent 68 Custom compare to it?

My "Custom" breaks up pretty soon – will the 68 have more headroom?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Although I haven't had the opportunity to compare, I have a feeling the new '68 will have more headroom as they have added a negative feedback loop.

There are a number of mods that will add the NFB loop back into your amp, adding some clean headroom and moving it closer to the '63 Vibroverb Reissue, these amps are based on.

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Thanks.
    Yes I know that – "my" service tech offered to do them years before. I like the amp as it is, but I am curious how they compare and if it would be a good idea to add the 68 to my toolbox as an alternative.

Edit: And – sorry – but I am more interested in tone comparison than the technical differences (which are pretty obvious: negative feedback loop, alnico vs. ceramic speakers, different voicing in the preamps, 40 vs. 35 watt). I think it's hard to conclude sound differnece from specs. For example the friend from which I bought the vibrolux says his 22 watt DRRI has more headroom than the vibrolux – which seems contra-intuitive ...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The 'old' CVR was a '63 Brown Vibroverb PCB in a new cabinet. It's not designed to be high headroom, anything but. I think it used a HRDx output transformer.

If the new 68 VR is anything like the genuine SFVR it'd be clean up to 6 on the dial. Circuit is quite different. Speakers will make a huge difference too. Really, it's two different amps despite being both 2x10. The VV chassis also has the better coupled oscillator rather than the roach.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

5. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Sadly, I have still never had the opportunity to even play the new '68 CVR.

But, from what I understand the Bright channel on your CVR and the Vintage channel should be voiced the same. The Normal (CVR) and Custom ('68 CVR) are voiced differently. The different speakers probably push it apart on both channels, though. Again, sorry, just theory on my part.

The new '68 CVR is actually the next generation amp built on the same '63 Vibroverb Ri PCB. It has the bias vary trem, warmer mids, tapped treble pot, etc... So, no, not so much like a vintage Vibrolux Reverb.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Oh, OK. I've not played the new one, only the 63 VV. It sounded nice but a bit noisy and yes, low headroom. I just figured they'd use the new Deluxe RI board with bigger transformers.

7. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    If you played a '63 VVRi and it was noisy and low headroom it was broken. The CVR of old, tuxedo aesthetics like the OP has, can be a little noisy and definitely has lower headroom than my VVRi. That was the big Internet complaint on them. Even though Fender sold a ton of them!

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Could be. Used unit in a store a while ago. They were asking a lot of dough I remember. It wasn't unpleasant or over loud, just noticeable when not playing. More so than the SF Pro Reverb I had then. Nice tremolo.

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    i see you like to discuss electronics – so go ahead – but I don't understand that much of it. Instead I went window shopping and tried the 68 Custom Vibrolux. Not my cup of tea, just like the 68 deluxe. I liked the 65 deluxe reverb and twin reverb reissues, though. I'd love fender to make a reissue of the blackface vibrolux. It doesn't seem popular in the boutique maker or kit maker scenes either.

10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    BTW while i was at it I also tried the mustang GT 100 – after three presets (twin, deluxe, princeton) I thought "caricature" ... to be honest, the twin sounded decent albeit 2D but the models of the small amps really did nothing for me. It's cruel to put these really plastic looking amps in a room with the real thing.

robrob likes this.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well, the differences between the '65 reissues and the '68 Custom "reissues" are so small that they really come down to different speakers, IMO.

So you can't really talk about the sound without talking speakers. But if you didn't like the '68 DR but did like the '65 DRRI, the likely main culprit was the speaker difference.

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    The 68 Customs were all kind of noisy compared to the blackface reissues – probably not from the speakers. Their tones to me had a hard edge to it while they were also a bit blurred – if that makes sense. The 65 deluxe and twin sounded more "natural" to me. It's hard to describe tone ...

13. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Word.

The extra hiss from the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb is caused mainly by its 50% reduction in negative feedback.

14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    In the long long history of confusing Fender names, this series, for me, takes the cake. Am I wrong?

Axis29 likes this.

15. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    And it's easy to underestimate how important it was to people buying what was a pro expensive amp back then. A lot of people may decry progressive changes made to these lines over the years, from Brown-Black-Silver and beyond control panels.

Often, you would have had to be there and see what they were responding to in competition, feedback from users/endorsers and warranty claims......

If someone was trying your new amp on the showroom floor for the first time especially before distorted rock music really took off, they'd want it to be smooth and quiet

16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Nope, only TDPRI can sort out this mess. How would a kit looking out for any of these figure? Honestly, I think my "Custom" eats the '68 Custom for breakfast. I may look out for a real vintage one sometimes, though.

17. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Actually, from a circuit perspective, there are significant differences between the two series. Not just speakers.

18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    AFAIK there is no such thing as a '65 Vibrolux Reverb Reissue ...

Edit: OK I see, you are referring to the deluxe ...

Yeah, I think speakers make a big difference. That may be the reason why I like the "Custom" better – these alnico Jensens are sweet.

19. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2007
    Michigan
    I did not find the(Zinky) CVR to be a good amp. It was very hissy, noisy which I understand is part of the design. Mine lacked a sparkly clean sound and got gritty very quick. There was also no range on the volume control and was instantly loud on "2". In general, it didnt sound very Fender to me. The reverb was also somewhat weak. The new 68 custom i played in a shop briefly was cleaner and sounded more Fender than the CVR.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    They are the same basic circuit built on the same PCB. The ‘68 Custom has more negative feedback cancellation and therefore is closer to the sonics of the original....the 6G16 VibroverbReissue amp, which was the first Fender Reissue of a vintage design. The difference in the reverbs was a problem in that particular CVR and was not common to all CVR’s, ime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.