Custom Shop Twisted Tele set pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by joebloggs13, Dec 6, 2018.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Anyone here have a set of these in a CS Tele? Am looking for opinions on these pickups.
    Thanks.

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Search here on the TTF. We have been talking about these for years and years. You are probably on a good track heading towards them by all accounts.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I had a Wildwood 52 thin skin that had the custom shop twisted tele in bridge and neck. I love them. Unfortunately the neck on the guitar didn't work for me. I'm currently looking for another tele as back up to my masterbuilt nocaster. And if they don't have the twisted tele in it they will soon after I get it.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a set in a Wildwood CS 52. Found them very unremarkable. Replaced them with Stuart Blackguards. I don't understand the attraction. But then I don't care for the seemingly ever-popular Keystones, either.

5. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

All good replies...keep them coming! Video reviews on these, while not the greatest when evaluating gear, are sparse.

6. Buckaroo

Buckaroo TDPRI Member

I had twisted tele pups in my Todd Krause teles. I liked them. The output level between neck and bridge was closer than on vintage style tele pups and the neck pup had a hint of a Strat vibe (just a hint) that I liked. I would choose them again if I got another tele.

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My American Standard Telecaster came with them. I don't have any idea if they are better or worse than any other Telecaster pick ups and I am not going to the trouble and expense to find out. My opinion is they sound fine. I did replace the white pick guard with a black one and the guitar looks better. :twisted:

8. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I had them and liked them a lot.

If you have watched any of the Anderton's videos with Danish Pete, his purple CS tele has a Twisted Tele in the neck position. Watching him will give you a good idea of what that pickup can sound like.

9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

I have a twisted tele in the neck of my partscaster and absolutely love it. It has a great tonal character of it's own and blends real nice with the broadcaster bridge pickup. Had to reverse the polarity of one of the pickups to get them in phase for the middle position, don't remember which one, but the both sound great now.

10. robt57

Have you folks with Twisted Neck PUs had the comparative experience of using a Strat PU in a Tele neck position?

I had got twisted Tele sets twice, and sold them off before fitting. I have had Strat PUs in Teles, and now have a Dirty Harry Vintage Tallboy not installed yet. I got it and decided the Twisted Neck and the Tall Boy would not be different enough to not sell the Twisted set when I got offered 135.00 for the set.
    Let them fly...

11. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Don't like them. Neck pickup is way to strat like and the bridge isn't bright enough. I like vintage telecaster sounds.

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Thats whats in the Baja. Read the Baja threads. IMO the neck is one of the best p-ups I ve ever heard. I don t find it "Strat-like", but it certainly isn t Tele like either. Incredible, huge sound stage w a great tone. The bridge I find to have a good bassier than usual for a Tele p-up tone, but a sound stage lacking in the dimensionality the Neck has in spades. They are fantastic together in the G-Bridge-Neck-Hot series hook up, great faux Humbucker tone and then some.

13. robt57

I find this a great option for a Tele, really has a bold voice in this position. Not cutting in the mix?, switch to this position on your 4 or 5 way and your 2 pickup Tele becomes way forward in the mix.

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I don't believe the Twisted Teles in the Baha are the same, as the guitar is made in Mexico. It's the Mexican version of the Twisted Tele, or Mexican custom shop. Slight difference, but one nonetheless. Now how much different regarding sound? That is up to the player. YMMV

15. robt57

We have beaten this to death here for a while, search and read if you dare. ;)

Some opinions lean all made in US, but are different mainly in the wire lead colors per spec/schem for either Baja or AM model with them. I figure at CS prices for Teles with TT sets it unlikely the are the same as the Baja and AM model that have them. CS 'should'? have hand would at the CS, right?

Yada... Do I actually know?, Sure don't.

But they are different than standard PUs in that the bridge PU is a less deep bobbin, and the neck a taller bobbin. They are hotter generally. Nothing IMO stomping on a TS won't bring to the equation on more vintage PUs. [IMO]

The difference being un-hotting the response is not as simple as turning the TS off. Same as the Texas Special CS PUs I had in a Strat for a while.

Searching the topic here will net as many opinions differing from mine as ones that are in line with mine here. :confused:o_O:p

parademe likes this.
  16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Agree 100% I wish someone would post a video comparison Baha TT vs CS TT so we can form a more succinct opinion. I am in the process of swapping my current Tele pups to CS TTs. Unfortunately I dont have access to a Baha.

17. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Twisted Tele neck, SD Jerry Donahue bridge is what I've settled on. Very happy camper. If you want Strat-like tone in the neck position, then you won't like the Twisted tele. As mentioned above, check out Peter Honore ("Danish Pete") playing his purple tele.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

TT for the neck did it for me. I went with the Broadcaster for the bridge, but YRMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.