Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Custom Shop Texas Specials on a mim Strat ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by The Crash Cowboy, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

1. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Non Tele Question, but though ...

A few years ago I bought a Classic ‘60 mim Strat, which plays very smooth. Next to my ‘71 Tele I wanted the versatility of a Strat.

The sound of it is ok, but the output volume is low compared to all my other guitars. I really dig the high power and sound of Stevie RV, and I know that’s not all about the pups ...

Would Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials (€ 195,- ...) give my mim more power and a better sound ? It’s a lot of money to give it a try, but all feedback and suggestions are much appreciated !

View attachment 490527

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes I have a set, and 4 way switch (for series, defiantly do that). They are very good "Tele" pups tone wise, and do have good output.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

What kohm measurements do you have in your current Strat? Magnet type? Then compare the kohms and magnet of the Texas Specials. I assume you have already elevated your existing pickups close to the strings?

You could do like the Telecasters and put a steel plate under your current Strat pickup(s). In the US we have 'octagon' house electrical boxes and I use the cover from them (they are about 1/8th inch thick and under $1) cut down to the shape of the pickup bobbin or slightly larger. You may have other scrap steel around to experiment with. The magnets will hold it for testing. If you like it you can glue them on.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ops, just realized the op is talkin' Strat.

The Crash Cowboy likes this.

5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    I have them in my Strat parts caster and my tele parts caster. They do give you “that” sound.

6. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Thanks so far !

About the kohm and magnet type: I really got no idea. They came standard with the guitar, and this is about all I can find about them:

IMG_1358.JPG

Next question: a cheaper (€ 100,-) option would be to put Fender Tex Mex pickups in it. Reviews say the output is bigger, and slightly better when using distortion than the ones that are originally in the guitar, but still keeping that real Stratocaster sound. How are they in your opinion, compared to the Texas Specials ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM

7. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    ... and can I change the (white) caps of the pickups to the original (aged white) caps ?

IMG_1359.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.