Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Hello all, I am starting a new thread about an old project that has been sitting for a while. About 5 years I did my first build and it was a close to exact replica of a 58'-59' Flying V. I originally planned on making a few of them but I got sidetracked by a opportunity to make a copy from a real 56' stratocaster. Then it snowballed and this just got put aside. You can check out the original build and beginning of this build here. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1958-59-flying-v-first-build.342814/page-49
    I decided since it was an old thread and this won't really fit in with that build to just start a new one.

2. joekumpan3

When I purchased wood for my original build I made sure there was enough to make two guitars. I had bought a bunch of parts too but ended up making my on to be more authentic, since there is no need to be as authentic here I can have some fun and save some money too by using some of what I have. The last few pages of the linked thread have the woodworking photos up to this point, as it stands now I have a body that is shaped and mostly sanded with control cavity and neck routes done. I have a neck that needs a fretboard and for the back to be shaped and now I am going to add holly headstock veneer. Here is where it sits now. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

imploration, devrock and twr1 like this.
  3. joekumpan3

What I want to do is something like the Gibson Flying V custom in tobacco burst. Like this. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    But with colors a little more like this, mini the curly maple. I really like the unbound ebony dot neck. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Manny012, Omiewise65, TMMC and 3 others like this.
  4. joekumpan3

I plan I doing a 3 ply binding around the body because I'm not really in love with the 7 ply so I ordered .90 white like a single binding would be for the outside with a .60 black inside that and a .40 white inside of that. It will give a little white stripe inside the "regular" binding. Kind of like this. image.jpeg
    I als am thinking about detailing the ebony dot fretboard with two inlaid stripes like this. image.jpeg
    This fretboard is actually black binding on the outside too, but I would rather have wood all the way to the edge so I will inlay it. That is the plan anyway. The dots will be centered too.

TMMC likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wows!

In.

Omiewise65 and joekumpan3 like this.
  6. joekumpan3

I want the headstock to have the feel and vibe of the Gibson custom with the split diamond in the center of the headstock but I want something different than that, something more rock & roll, something dangerous like a skull and crossbones. It is on the way, some scary letters for my initials too. image.png image.png image.png
    The skull will go in the center and the initials above them.

7. joekumpan3

I have supplies to wind pickups and have a burstbucker 3 and 57' classic to play with. I also ordered parts to wind a soapbar p90. I am still deciding which route to go. Both the Gibson humbuckers have gold covers but one of my options that I am considering is to replace the covers with black nickel but leave the gold screws. Something like these bare knuckle mules. image.jpeg
    Another option would be winding my own high output pickup with alnico8 or a ceramic group of magnets in them with open coils and black slugs and gold or black screws, I think gold screws would be cool with black slugs. Kind of like this. image.png
    And if I wind a custom humbucker then I will probably wind a p90 for the neck position. I have supplies for both options.

Southpole likes this.
  8. joekumpan3

The fretboard is on order from stew Mac. I didn't feel like making my own. The pickup covers and inlays should all be here in a few days too. Part of the reason for doing a burst and binding is I have a few ugly spots. I have a spot here. image.jpeg
    And I cut the body too short here and had to add a bit to the end.

Attached Files:

Omiewise65 likes this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great ideas everywhere.

I've always thought a Coat Of Arms would make a great headstock logo.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Fantastic build, looking forward to seeing the final result! I recently acquired a 81 Explorer and I am having loads of fun with it. Not as pretty as what you are planning for your build though! Enjoy!

IMG_0815.JPG

tomas83, Vespa_One, RoyBGood and 7 others like this.
  11. joekumpan3

Absolutely! A coat of arms would be very cool. Thank you about the ideas, this has changed versions several times over the last month. I was going to make it black with block inlays and 54' Les Paul p90's, but it seemed a shame to cover the korina with a solid color.

12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Count me in. I'm coming along for the ride. I like the V and think this one is going to turn out just great.

chemobrain likes this.
  13. joekumpan3

Oh my! That is very nice! Is the headstock face black or white? I've only seen a few with white. Very jealous of you.

14. joekumpan3

Thank you sir!

awasson likes this.
  15. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Black but I agree that white headstock would be very cool.
    IMG_0812.JPG

16. joekumpan3

Gosh that's nice. Flying V's are my favorite but the explorer is right up there. I think white is the best color for them too.

17. joekumpan3

Now another aspect that I haven't made a firm descision on is the burst pattern. Fender or Gibson or both. I'll explain. Gibson does a burst like normal on the front and back but doesn't do the sides all the way, they do a spot in the crotch, the tips and the neck body joint and neck headstock joint. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    It looks cool and from the front you can't really tell the sides aren't dark. Fender does all the sides all the way around. I am thinking I am going to do a slightly lighter of my pine thinline burst with a little less black and maybe only really dark brown. Not sure which style I'm going to do yet. image.jpeg image.jpeg

TMMC and Southpole like this.
  18. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New Year, New Build, Nice!
    Fret Board stripe inlays, Also Nice! dying to see you do it!
    I'll be lurking along the way like always.
    Good Luck Joe and Happy New Year!

joekumpan3 likes this.
  19. joekumpan3

You too and happy new year to you as well!

20. joekumpan3

I have two pieces of holly that I ordered originally for the first v until I found out that the original Gibson's did not have holly veneer. I also got it without measuring and it is too small for a V but I will use it anyway. I can't do much with it until I get the inlays in the mail but I will cut it out and glue a cut off of one of the corners to the area missing. image.jpeg
    Just a little short on the side. Once it is glued and sanded and lacquered you won't be able to see the seam. image.jpeg
    The piece is about 1/16" too short too but since there will be binding on the headstock it's no big deal. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    The motto of this build will be "no wasting leftovers!"

noah330 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.