Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cuda, only $99

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DaveKS, Mar 12, 2018.

1. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Fiesta Red and sanfi4u like this.
  2. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Just not sold on a pedal using a tube running on 9v to really create tube overdrive ???

emisilly and noah330 like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's not a starved plate circuit running the tube at 9 volts, but one with circuitry to bump up the 9 volt input to a high voltage for a 12AX7.

sanfi4u likes this.
  4. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    The tube looks like it would be hard to remove

emisilly likes this.
  5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Yep, 200v on the tube. You can read about it here if you want.

https://tonereport.com/reviews/sib-cuda-and-cuda-lt

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good catch.

But the whole circuit board probably pops out fairly easily.

7. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Interesting :cool:

8. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    'Cuda...Good catch...I see what you did there!

Ira7 and artdecade like this.
  9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have not heard of SIB pedals before seeing them on the J Rockett site a few weeks ago... says they are made in the US. (maybe assembled)
    Did I just miss them?
    Are they affiliated with J Rockett in any way?
    Are they good quality pedals?

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    SiB had an expensive AC powered tube OD pedal many years back, GP mag liked it but I never tried one. Wanted to but never saw one in a shop.

This one has flying leads to the pots?
    Oh no those are connections between the main board and the tube socket board.
    Pretty cheap for a seemingly well made pedal, but this is a sale price from the regular $259.

WRT changing the tube, I tried to open up my older Radial British tube OD and it's a freaky arrangement that seemed more trouble to get apart than it was worth.

11. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    Apparently, there was an LT version, with less gain and mids. That sounds more up my alley. Are they still making that one? I wonder if the regular one could be modified to LT specs?

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The LT is available but not at the $99 sale price. And it is also the one that would more suit my playing style.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I'm hoping that what your asking for is just a good 12ay7 away. Want less mids crank the bass and treble up.

[​IMG]

But still remains to be seen what kind of usable gain there is on this pedal stock with gain set around 9:00. If there's one thing I've learned over years is that nothing does edge of clean/light crunch bettervthan a real tube.

But me, I like all kinds of tones and gain ranges, I may end up sticking one of these old Raytheon engineering samples I got in it and turn it into a lime green box of hemi powered destruction. Average/nominal gm on a 12ax7 is 1250 so you can imagine what kind of drive 1400-1800 GM could provide.

[​IMG]

It'll all come out in the wash, I'll make this pedal work for me one way or the other.

sanfi4u likes this.
  14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I swear to God:

It took me 3 days to finally understand this!

It's a bitc* getting old.

15. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Yes, you do. SIB Electronics is an old brand. The company was founded by Rick Hamel in early 90s. His original Blue Echodrive - Tube based MN3005 Analog Delay is a legend now. The company went to hiatus around 2010. But J.Rockett brought it back in May 2014, keeping Rick Hamel as a chief designer and board member.
    SIB Cuda definitely belongs to the top league of overdrives. With the $99 price tag it's just a steal. I'm surprised it's still on sale. Don't miss the chance. Cuda worth every penny of its standard $259 price. Mike Hermans demonstrated it pretty well:

BTW, SIB Mr. Echo/Echo Plus PT2399 based Tape Delay for $99 is unbelievably cheap too.
    https://rockettpedals.com/product/mr-echo/
    https://rockettpedals.com/product/mr-echo-plus/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  16. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    You are right, looking at the picture in more detail, it's clear that the tube board slides right out, you can see the two sets of connectors. That's decent design

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    After messing with it this weekend I will say this pedal is easily in same league as my old HK micro racks in terms of quality of sounds. Superb hard rock crunch that cleans up well with vol knob, as a tube should. This ain't no starved voltage Yugo of a pedal, like the name implies, this is a hemi.

Haven't even bothered opening it up to possibly swap tubes I've been having so much fun with it. EQ seems very effective. Boosting its input just a bit with my VFE Rocket parametric just took it into insane levels of metal gain.

Well worth the $114 it cost me shipped.

sanfi4u likes this.
  18. Churchjack

Churchjack TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    I’ve been looking for some good fuzz/od for some time - something maybe in vintage ZZ Top vein. I’m gonna give this a try.

Moments of temptation like this keep me from getting re-married.

sanfi4u and DaveKS like this.
  19. Churchjack

Churchjack TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    IMG_0615.JPG NPD— First impression is: WOW. My AC15 is a Marshall. I have fussed and bothered over OD for years, my search may be over. I’ll be working with it more tomorrow, I’ll try to dial in something...less extreme for a Red Dirt sound, but I think it’s gonna stay put on this board awhile. Thanks for the tip, DaveKS!

sanfi4u likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Behringer makes some great tubed OD pedals, the VT999, which I have, and another one, also. And they're available a lot cheaper than that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.