Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cub10 went mute

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Il Belva, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Hi guys,
    Last saturday I had a big deal with my Laney Cub10.
    I was at a small gig, playing my Cub10 through a 2x12 Palmer cab. After one hour of playing we had a short break. During the break I turned unplugged the input jack and turned it off. After about 20 mins I turned it on again and... No sound at all! The power light is ok, the tubes are glowing, but no sound.
    I checked pedals and cables, but they are ok.

Any suggestion?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    If it's still under warranty, don't mess, send it back.
    Does it work just as a combo, or is it fully dead. Have you reseated the valves?, tried switching out the 12AX7's?. Sometimes, valves just die.

Glowing heaters don't mean the valves are OK, nor does it show the HT supply is working. It just shows the heaters are working. If you're confident, delve in there with a multimeter.
    The ( hopefully ) attached schematic shows the test points. It's easier to completely remove the chassis, disconnect the internal speaker and plug an external speaker in than to balance it and hope the speaker wires don't pop off.
    Check the high voltages. Check the fusible resistors and check those odd looking yellow rectangular things aren't open circuit.
    If the schematic means nothing, or if you have -any- doubts about working on a live amplifier, don't. The voltages are more than enough to cause serious hurt.

Attached Files:

3. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Thanks for the suggestions, in the next days I'll give'em a try.
    Sadly it doesn't work even in "combo mode".

4. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Just ordered a bunch of tubes to play around with the amp:
    • JJ Electronic 6V6-S
    • Tung-sol 12AX7 (x2)
    • JJ Electronic ECC81
    • JJ Electronic ECC82
    They should arrive by next week, let's see how the cub10 will sound :D
    If the results will be good I'll also get one of thos speakers: http://www.tubes.it/it/jensen/4909-jensen-ch1070.html

5. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Do you have voltages on the board then?. Is it working again?. There is a glass fuse inside the amp to check too. Why they didn't bring that out to an externally accessible fuse holder is beyond me.
    I have JJ 6V6S valves in mine and I rebiased it to as close to 70% as I could get it. Big difference over the stock, rather flaccid and cold biased as stock Ruby brand that came in it. The Rubies weren't too bad when biased correctly, but the JJ swap really made a difference.
    It currently has a JJ 5751 in V1 and a Ruby 12AX7 HG5 in V2. I've tried various valves in V1. I think my favourite was an Electro-Harmonix 12AY7, but that ended up being used in something else, hence the 5751.
    The stock HH speaker isn't too bad really. Until you replace it with the MOD/CH 10-70. You'll like what that does to the sound. I'm not sure if it's any louder, but it feels more authoritative in the way it delivers the sound. Amazing for a 10" tiny combo. It gives the amp real force and drive. Fair fills the room with glorious sound.

6. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Sorry for the late answer, but my valves arrived last week!
    I swapped all of them and now the amp is working, one of the 6v6 where gone (I put the 12AX7 couple in the pre).

@VintageSG : I've got a question for you about the cub10: with my tele (MiM with Seymour Duncan Hot for Tele set) I can't get it to sound as good as it does with humbucking guitars (an LP studio and a G&L Fallout), do you have the same issue?

7. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I tend to play single coil guitars in to the High input and humbuckers in to the Low, but no, it sounds just fine no matter what I plug in to it.
    Try the different inputs and set a sound. Good sounds can be had with a little experimentation. Glad to hear it's working again for you.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Regardless of the amp you'd be comparing sounds on two levels:

1) The fatter, more-mid-focused sound of humbucking pickup vs the treble bite of single coils, and

2) One set (the humbuckings) simply hitting the input of the amp harder than the single coils.

The first is more "tonally" oriented - a difference in frequency response. Many players like the sound of both - some prefer one or the other.

The second, however, makes a difference in the "drive" of the amp. The amount can vary depending on how you use the amp. If the amp has master volume and the preamp is cranked there will be a very significant difference in overall sound; likewise if the amp is simply cranked up, especially if it's near the limit of headroom. In that case more powerful pickups can push it right to the edge of headroom - which is usually where an amp sounds its best - or even over the edge into light saturation. Sometimes the "edge" is heard as "clean" but there's actually a very slight amount of harmonic distortion, richening the overall sound.

Again, the last scenario is dependent on preamp and/or overall amp volume (and how easily the amp is "pushed") so it may not be as significant in your case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.