Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CTS pots Value's

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Guitaryellow, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM.

1. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    Can you run a 280k Volume pot with a 250k Tone pot?

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Yes. What kind of pickups are you running through it?

3. Guitaryellow

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    50's vintage mex in neck and bareknuckle rated at 280 in the bridge. ☺

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    Most pots have a variance of +/- 5 to 10%. So if you have a 250 pot plus 10%, and a 280 pot minus 10%...

5. Guitaryellow

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    Will i get the benefit of the pickup rated at 280k or do i need to upgrade the tone pot as well.
    Regards

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    A lot of lots vary way 30-50k I wouldn't sweat unless you notice something very funky happen with a tone or volume - like no change than a big jump or loss.

7. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    All it means is that a slightly larger amount of highs will come through with a pot measuring 280k vs one at 250k. Probably not even an actually noticeable difference. As stated above, the given value is just the target value and actual value will vary by a certain percentage. Some sellers test and sort their pots to a tighter variance, but if it’s within +/- 10% then it’s going to be more than fine. You also don’t really need to concern yourself with matching volume and tone pots as it isn’t going to hurt anything. The taper matters too (audio vs linear).

8. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    You would hardly notice this difference. At all.

Derek Kiernan likes this.

9. Guitaryellow

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    Ok many thanks to you all, I'll leave it at 250k.
    Regards

10. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    exactly.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Pots push your pickup's tone around. 280k will be brighter than a 220k. Pots are built with industry acceptable 20% range in normal tolerance. I used to swap pickups until I found how much impact the pots and caps have on the tones I seek and now my first mod is there and I often keep the original pickups in place because I can fix them (or worsen them) with control parts swaps for 1/10th the cash.

... and here's a chart the folks at guitarnutz2 forum put together, volume and tone pot at maximum on their dials, changing values of the pots used on signal output:

[​IMG]

Guitaryellow likes this.

12. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    To the OP -- Let's say you have half the difference between the 500k/250k and the 250k/250k setup (but you won't). You're not going to here 1-1.5 dB difference at the resonance anyways. It's not worth it as an area of exploration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.