Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

CTS 500K Pot, Shaft Too Long - bummer!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dragonfly66, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    So I ordered CTS 500K pots not knowing that they were going to be too long. I found out later that for the fender/squier stuff you have to get the "short shaft" CTS pots. :eek: I guess the long ones are used for Gibson/Epiphone guitars, which I have none and don't plan on buying any.

I bought the the pots from Warmoth when I ordered a custom pickguard. I figure I can route out the cavity so I can use these long pots or just get new pots. I'm tipping over on the "get new pots" side, but I'm bummed I didn't know this before. Money is tight and I hate wasting it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    I think this has probably happened to all of us. I bet if you stick it in a drawer you will find a use for it someday.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Sometimes that's just how we learn...if it was too easy...Chimps would have Teles....;)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yep, basically anything with a pickguard uses short shaft pots.

Can't you return the ones you bought, or exchange them for the correct ones?

Oh, and for a Tele you want solid shafts. Don't compound your error by ordering split shaft ones :eek:

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Or you can stick two nuts on it.

That's why long shaft pots usually come with two nuts. One goes behind the plate as a stop, and washer and nut in front as usual.

And split shaft pots will accept grub screw knobs, especially if you arrange for the screw to align with the slot and expand the shaft.

7. dragonfly66

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    The problem with the long shaft is that the cavity is not deep enough for the pots. I made adjustments, using the two nuts so that the shaft would only poke up as far as the originals. This causes the pots to hit the bottom of the cavity and prevent the pickguard/control plate from being screwed down.

There is enough wood that I could make the cavity deeper, but I hadn't planned on routing the cavity. The cavity is copper lined and I'd have to redo that part. I guess I could do it, but I don't want to introduce any thing else that I could possibly mess up on my guitar. I just had a lesson in soldering and don't want one in body work.

8. dragonfly66

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    I will remember that always!!

I could return them, but the supplier doesn't have the short/shaft. I'll put them on craig's list and see what happens.

9. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    You got shallow cavities. What are you trying to fit them in?

I had no trouble fitting long shaft pots in either AmSer or Baja. The Baja takes an S-1 which is well deep. Both of mine have the long shaft TBX tone pot now.

10. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Hillsboro, OR
    There's always a hacksaw. I've done this numerous times.

11. charliebrown

charliebrown Tele-Meister

There ya go...

I have also...masked off the pot itself, cut the shaft to the length I need, grind and polish a little...good clean fun ;)

12. ironweed

ironweed Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2003
    mid-missouri
    A Dremel tool with a cut-off disc is pretty effective, too.

13. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    I don't see the problem. If it is deep enough for the switch then it is deep enough for a long-shaft with the double lock nuts. The protruding bit the knob shoves onto are all the same length, if you shorten that then the knob falls off. The cavity should be deep enough for a push-pull pot, even a thin-bodied Aria cheapo has a deep enough cavity.

14. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    I believe the crux of confusion is the terminology.

SHAFT: The rotating part of the potentiometer of which the knob mounts to.
    THREADED BUSHING: The threaded cylinder of which the mounting nuts thread on.

15. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Yikes!! I had no idea Warmoth sold pots with bushings this long. No wonder you are having fit problems. There is no remedy for that as far as modifying the pot. Unless of course you are willing to take a risk by routing your control cavity to a thin dimension if even possible.

[​IMG]

Warmoth CTS pot

16. dragonfly66

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    The pots are going in a strat. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I used the double lock nuts to shorten the shaft but the pot was hitting the bottom of the cavity.

17. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Now that's odd because I've got push-pull pots in a strat and the hole's deep enough.

They sell pots by 'short-shaft', 'medium-shaft' and 'long-shaft' (as Terry has said the correct name for 'shaft' is 'bushing'). Long-shaft fit LP types (thick wood). Medium-shaft fit semi-acoustics (thin wooden top). Short-shaft fit into thin control plates and pickguards. Push-pull pots are usually medium-shaft and longer overall than long-shaft.

There again the selector switch is pretty deep and that must fit. Are you fouling on a mare's nest of wire?

If it won't fit, get another pot, they're cheap.

18. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Sounds like you got the shaft my friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.