CSNY

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, May 25, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

¡Bueno!

I've had CSNY 1974 in heavy rotation here in recent weeks. A few of the related gems finding their way in too.

Very interesting a band could be so incredibly mellow for a great deal of a play list and go "finger in the socket" dissonant bonkers later on. Very cool! Love the extended jams!

I guess a lot of the cuts on 1974 started as CSNY or were attempted as but ended up on solo ventures.

Anyways .....great stuff! Amazing how even NY sounds better when they'd get cooking! He never quite jammed that loose with and edge but smoothly...

So cool we're getting all these releases that don't have to be spot on perfect consumer driven.

Can't wait for NY's "Tuscaloosa" from '73 tour!

TEX

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I was in the Air Force stationed at Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth. This was about 1979. I was walking down the hallway of my dorm and someone was playing the Deja Vu album. Somehow, I did not know about CSNY and when I heard that album, I was mesmerized. I became friends with the guy in that dorm room and ended up owning that recording many times in many forms.

I saw CSN during the Southern Cross Tour in St. Louis. That was the first time I was ever glued to my seat all the way through the concert. I just didn’t want to do anything to make me leave while they were performing. Such great talents!

Texicaster, JayFreddy, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  3. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought "Four Way Street" in the early 80's and pull it out every now and again.

The acoustic tracks stand up against anything I can think of.

The electric jamming wears out fast to my ears but I indulge in exotics far less than I once did:rolleyes:

Their ethical stance rings true like a bell.

"49 bye byes" and "Ohio" are as much warnings as recollections I think.

Truly talented individually and approaching transcendent collectively.

:)

4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

There’s a bootleg recording of csny at the Fillmore in 1970 that puts that 1974 recording AND four way street to shame. It’s one of the best live recordings of all time. No idea why it was never officially released.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I was about 13 when 4 Way Street came out. I had just started jamming with some other kids and we wore that record out. I still have it on vinyl, I'll have to pull it out.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

They are indeed a transcendent combination. Instrumentally, I think Still is the guy who really makes their sound. He's a musician's musician; Young plays parts, and has his sound, but Stills is the guy who finds ways to use even Neil's always slightly-off sound in the total mix. It's th differences, combined, that make them amazing, I think (as was true for the Beatles) and far better than the everyone's-the-same groups.

Stellacaster and Hatfield92 like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I wore holes in 4-way street, the acoustic sides in particular.
    Each one brought their unique contribution, I loved Nash’s vocals, Stills guitar, Young’s songwriting, Crosby’s harmony.
    This was the yearly 70’s, time has past and I moved on, but it doesn’t take but a second for me to return to that time.
    Deja Vu started me listening, 4-way Street is burned into my physique for all time.
    Me and a couple Army buddies use to play Cowgirl in the Sand for hours.
    Great times,
    Excuse the randomness of my thinking, I’m a little scattered right now.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amen!

9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

The first couple years of CSNY ... that was lightning in a bottle. They’re in my top three all-time groups, along with the Stones and Allmans. I couldn’t pick a number one.

What most mainstream fans of that era see in the Eagles, i see in CSNY. To me,comparing CSNY to the eagles is like comparing the Beatles to the Monkees (I love both those bands too btw).

Bassman8 and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Yea... I LOVED 4-Way Street in HS but after while I couldn't tolerate it at all!

Bought the expanded version a few years back and never listened to it either! Being bored I bought 1974 and like it just as much! Maybe better for it's more diverse song list. Got me back to 4 Way!

Too bad Graham couldn't cobble together ONE version of Carry On.

Ah.. 1970's .....when drugs were good for you! :D

TEX

11. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Big CSN/CSNY fan - love all of it. I'm not, typically, a live album fan, but Four Way Street and Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive" are two of my "go-to" albums. Stephen Stills is, still, criminally under-rated.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I THINK this is the recording I was talking about.

Stellacaster likes this.
  13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

This is definitely part of the recording. I recognize the between song banter.

Stellacaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.