CS Twisted Teles v Texas Special Teles.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mojmud, May 23, 2019.

1. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Does anyone have experience of both of these Custom shop tele pickups? Trying to decide which to fit to my CS '52 which currently has Nocasters. I need a little more oomph, particularly in the neck, but don't want to loose the Tele twang or quack. I'd appreciate feedback!

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

CS Texas Specials
    Neck: 9.5k, 3.3h, A5
    Bridge: 10.5k, 3.95h, A5
    Tone: modern
    Output: hot

CS Twisted Tele
    Neck: 5.9k, 2.2h, A5
    Bridge: 10k, 4.2h, A5
    Tone: modern
    Output: moderate

IMHO, it's better to have more, but need less, than to have less, but need more.

The CS Texas Specials set is very musical and very versatile.

I have owned at least three Tele's with CS Texas Special pickups and had no regrets.

3. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Thanks Fender Guy, you make a very good point. I have one concern about the Texas Specials. Do they produce a significantly different tone between the neck and the bridge? I ask this because of the high output of the neck and pf course its louder position on the body. I don't mean in the middle position, I mean a difference between the neck and bridge per se.

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Here are two Fender demos, one clean and one dirty, with tone samples for each of the three switch positions.

Clean:

Dirty:

To my ears, Texas Special pickups seem to be very nicely balanced in all 3 switch positions, whether playing clean or dirty.

Additionally, with the added output, the volume knob offers so much more nuance in tone shaping, giving a player the versatility to cover many different musical styles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.