CS '61 Relic - opinion?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Larry K. Williams, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I haven't tried one of these.

A real '61 would not have patent numbers on the headstock decal. The numbers started appearing on the decal in '63.

3. Larry K. Williams

I am not really concerned at all about historic accuracy. I am just concerned about how good the guitar may be.

I mean, we all know that a new "reissue" guitar is not the actual thing.

I understand that, for a lot of people, that accuracy is what you are paying for. I get that.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not sure what you're looking for. Fender 'Time Machine' CSs are generally very nicely done, IME. I personally don't appreciate that level of relic in the photo. Looks fake to me. But I'm sure the guitar underneath is just fine.

What are you planning to trade?

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Man that is pretty! I like all 60's Teles! 61, 62, 63,64 etc etc etc. LOL

The only thing that Im on the fence with is the texas specials.. I like the strat texas special pickups, not so much the tele pickups.

6. Larry K. Williams

Yeah, I am pretty much over the Tx Spcl pickups. I think a Don Mare set would be good in that.

7. moosie

I didn't see the pickups. They'd be replaced. :)

8. Larry K. Williams

Yep. I am not really a fan of those anymore. I'd much prefer a more vintage tone.

9. Larry K. Williams

Oh......the trade is my 2018 Memphis ES-335 Limited Ed. Figured.

10. moosie

The problem I have is that - to me - the AVs were so close to CS quality (I own some of each), that I have a hard time paying more than about $2k. And a nice 335 is worth more like $3k to me.

EDIT: I initially thought your 335 was a historic. So, the gap is narrowing :). And I realize a nice lightly used recent CS will go for more than $2k. Narrowing further. It's just my feeling that a good Tele is easier to come by than a real good 335.

I'm surprised at those pickups in a 61. The AV64 pickups would kill in a guitar like that, in my opinion of course.

11. dreamingtele

Im happy Im not the only one! I thought I was, at least with a few of my friends having the Texas Specials in their MIJ 62's.. I really dont like the tone of it! LOL

12. dreamingtele

I havent had the chance to play a Custom Shop, but having just pick up a real AV62 in a pawnshop last christmas, Im overjoyed to read that Im as close to the CS line as I can be. LOL

13. moosie

Well, again, my opinion, the post-2012 AV line is better than the older AVRI line. They're still quite nice, but not bumping against CS. Which I think is part of the reason they shifted gears with the AO. AV was cutting into CS sales.

I always wanted a 62 double bound, but I can't take the skinny necks.

Telebeestar likes this.
  14. dreamingtele

I think you and I both. thats why you and I also have the WD U Rosewood neck.. I just love those thick thick necks. Before I traded my am pro, I returned it to stock and have the rosewood neck sitting in one corner waiting to be built up again!

However, when I played the 62 double bound, I was surprised that the neck wasnt that skinny than I imagined it to be.. I thought it would be like the Squier CVC neck which is REALLY skinny and that I dont really like.. My AV62 is kinda more like a C shape you'll find on MIM standards now.. but then again, when Fender came back to me with the serial number, I found that mine was built 2005.

15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Just reading that nauseating ad makes me want to not like it at all. That magic Greasebucket circuit must be freaking amazing. The rest of us are stuck using pots, caps, and resistors. Nonsense aside, the CS build quality is, in my experience, superior to other Fenders. Sadly, the pricing is truly excessive, as Fender works hard to create a gap between the best regular production and the CS stuff (most of which is also regular production, though in smaller numbers, better materials, etc.) It's really aggravating, but I must admit that the CS stuff is genuinely good -- just overpriced for the simple builds that they are.

16. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Agree on the 64 pickups. I had the Pickup Wizard custom wind me a set of 64 tele pickups for my CS Postmodern Telecaster that came with Twisted Tele pups. I have an AVRI 64 Tele and the pickups from the Pickup Wizard are dead-on recreating the 64 tele sound. The only difference between the Fender and custom pickups is that the stagger on the custom pickups has been radius to my 9.5 to 12" neck.

17. moosie

:lol::lol::lol: Yep, but it's not like they just started doing this...

At least this guitar doesn't have a "tone saver", the $50 treble bleed...

18. moosie

Ah, I was going to ask why you bothered, since the AVs are available for sale separately.

19. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I would absolutely get it. There is something special the way a Custom Shop Tele comes together.

I tried the new AO 50s Tele and owned it briefly. While a fine guitar, I missed my CS 51 Tele. So I sold the AO and bought a NAMM ‘17 51 Relic
    Nocaster. With this, I only need one Tele and this is it.

It’s your money and you only live once.

20. Cortez72

Cortez72 TDPRI Member

For $3650 I would expect the neck plate to be on straight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.