CRL 3-Way Switch Issues

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dluxrvrb, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dluxrvrb

dluxrvrb TDPRI Member

I (along with some others from the looks of things) have been having some trouble with the CRL 3-Way switches. I read somewhere on here that 3 way switches had changed a few years ago and there must be a surplus of the old ones out there. Anyhow, long story short, They don't match the switches in the Seymour Duncan diagram that many seem to use, I also use that diagram when I have a switch that works with it. The CRL's do not line up with this one and the middle position doesn't work (causing much confusion). I have replaced a few switches because I thought the CRL's were bad. I really just didn't know how to wire them. I sat down and made a drawing and figured it out. It is the same as the new switches, just looks a little different. I hope this helps someone around here, it worked for me.
    I wish I could have found it a few weeks ago before buying a couple of new switches that I didn't need.
    Chris Parris
    DLUXRVRB
    I hope this uploads right, I created the diagram in word on a mac and had to convert it, if it doesn't work just e-mail me for the diagram

Attached Files:

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Maybe the Seymour Duncan diagram is wrong? I dunno! But I don't use the SD diagram when wiring a Tele.

The CRLs I have installed have all worked, irrespective of which way round they've been mounted on the control plate (although, I prefer putting them in with the spring on the top - it's more like how they were loaded in the '50's).

I suggest using another diagram. Or maybe you just got a bad batch of CRLs? You could always try the Oak Grigsby 3-way switch instead.

Thanks,

3. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I agree with Twang Tone, I've never had any problem wiring a CRL switch. I use an Oak Grigsby 4-way now.

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I went to the SD site and chose standard telecaster wiring and it looks the same as yours. I have no idea what you are seeing. This is how I wire 'em on the switch. 4 and 4, right?

5. dluxrvrb

dluxrvrb TDPRI Member

Maybe I'm sort of new to all of this, it is the same as the Seymour Duncan wiring I have used in my other guitars, it was just confusing that the switch terminals and the contact don't line up and you have to move some things to get a middle position on the CRL. I also noticed that when I put in my new pickups and the middle didn't work, that they were a bit more harsh sounding. When I got it wired right it really smoothed everything out.
    I played the guitar this morning and it sounds unreal. I had a 1 1/2 in thick pine bodied relic built and asked the builder to just put in junk pickups to set it up cause I had ordered the OC Duff Redd Volkaert set. The builder had wired it like a 50's circuit with the blend (which I didn't like as much as the modern wiring.) I also use a lot of Glendale parts on all my guitars, I think they are great. This one has a Glendale bridge and saddles with the paper in oil tone cap job. I really think this is the best sounding guitar I have ever played. If anyone hasn't tried Duff's pickups you owe it to yourself to do so ASAP you wont believe your mind (as my 4 year old says)
    Chris

6. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

I've been doing thinking over this too, what really bites my neck is the progressive wiring, cause when you find a schematic with only six lugs connected, then you can't work out which are straight and which are crossed to previous lug and if the pickup is wired to one common lug and the ground running out of the second lug is going at which position and to what effect?

If you are new to this, don't use new crl's before you get some experience with the regular switches.

7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

The difference [between the Oak Grigsby which Fender now commonly installs in Teles, and the current production CRL 3-way] that seems to confuse some folks is the apparent stagger between terminals on one side of the switch, and the terminals on the other side of the switch.

Disregard that apparent stagger, then you can use any diagram like this one from Fender showing an Oak Grigsby, to wire up a new CRL.

This diagram is equivalent to dluxrvrb's. The connection to the volume pot is to a different terminal, but four of those terminals are all electrically common so it means nothing to connect it to a different one of those 4.

[​IMG]

8. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

That's exactly how I wire mine whether it's an OG or CRL. The SD and the one posted above me here look exactly the same as the pdf you posted so I'm still confused as to why you're confused.

9. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

You've got the bridge and neck pup locations reversed. Neck pup should be top far left and bridge bottom far right.(as per this and your diagram) Stagger doesn't matter, the top left will always be top left and bottom right always bottom right.
    [​IMG]

If you lay the guitar down as you play it and flip the control plate it will be in the proper orientation, that is the pots will be on the right and the switch on the left. Just like the diagram. (disregard the wiring here its the Nocaster blend wiring)
    [​IMG]

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You got 2 factions. Guys mounting the switch with the wafer and contacts facing one way and those facing it the opposite way.

Pick one way or the other for all your Strats and Teles, and use only those diagrams with the same choice you have made.

I chose the "Fender" way (like Yegbert shows) where the wafer and contacts, once plopped over into the guitar, are on the pickup or "close" side.

I see at least one diagram at TDPRI and one with Deaf Eddie where the switch faces the other way. I have to convert those over or not use them.

11. yegbert

Are you suggesting that which way the switch is flipped, and therefore which way the wafer and contacts face; changes the pattern you need to follow for wiring the switch?

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just get mixed up unless things are exactly the same.

13. dluxrvrb

dluxrvrb TDPRI Member

Yeah mines just like surfoverbs, but I guess I drew it upside down. It's just the stagger on the connections and I don't know, cause I'm sort of new at all this, I've only built three or four telecasters in the last few years, it was confusing to me and I saw a few other posts while I was trying to figure out the solution in which some other guys were confused I was just trying to help. What I actually did to figure it out was to open up another Tele I built that has the newer fender switch in it and drew out how it connected and then drew a pictur of how that translates to the other style of switch. I then used a switch that I thought was defective and hooked it up with alligator clips and jumper wires and I got a connection in the middle that matched my other tele with the newer style switch. I wired up my new guitar and wow it worked. I was quite impressed with myself and decided to post my results in order to assist anyone else out there who may be having the same trouble. I hope somebody finds it useful and I'm sorry it is drawn upside down. I like the surfoverbs diagram, wish I would have had that a few weeks ago when I bought out the small town in which I resides supply of Fender three way switches. (LOL!) Thanks for everybody trying to set me straight, I'm just glad the thing works now, and it is truly the absolute best sounding guitar I have ever played anywhere. I think the Duffs are the ticket.
    Chris

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

here's the other type of switch. (bottom diagram) As you can see the wirings exactly the same, the stagger doesn't affect anything.
    [​IMG]

15. stevm0

stevm0 NEW MEMBER!

wow, thanks yegbert for the clarification about how the staggering of the switch pins on the wiring diagrams doesn't matter - this should help fix my own wiring troubles.

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The upper diagram is how my Rosewood is wired . Will this arrangement work with all types of switches ? If not , which type of switch will not work this way ? I even tried that sequence on my first and could not get it to work . I will try again in the future after my ultimate simplicity direct to jack Esquire build . I have the leftie pot thing figured out , I think . Since the shafts rotate the other direction , they must be hooked up the opposite of the standards . I can assure all of you that I will have some issues to resolve with the hardtail Strat build . Fortunately , I have a Strat to use as a reference except that it has standard type pots as far as the direction that the shafts turn . I know that this is not Tele , but does anyone here know of a source for push/pull leftie pots ? I very much like the setup on my Strat and it is , I think , a 7-way with a push/pull vol. and tone . I am thinking that I will want to try this arrangement on my build . The position with all three pups is just special . At least through a Blackface Bassman it is . Thanks one and all !

17. yegbert

Here's a diagram I made to illustrate the apparent stagger difference between a CRL and an Oak Grigsby, and to show what I mean in saying that the stagger doesn't matter.

[​IMG]

18. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah, the lug stagger... That's not as confusing to novices as the Stewmac commons-at-the-other-end-of-the-poles deal.

FWIW, I do my tele drawings oriented just as I see the axe on the workbench in front of me - YES, the neck is to the RIGHT, which puts the controls closer to me, so I'm not reaching across the guitar to work on it. If you then flip up the control plate, the pup selector switch is on the right, the pots on the left, and you get a perfect match to most of my Tele drawings...

19. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

NEWBIE here! i thought i found my "problem" solved by the above CRL diagram.

ermmm... this appears to be a CRL...
    http://www.tdpri.com/wiring3way.htm

...and the wiring is different! anyway, i hope the CRL diagram in yegbert's post will do me.

i would like to now which is "better" or why they are different?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.