Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Creating Font with Outline for Logo

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Knowcaster, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does anyone know how to create a font that has a contrasting color outline using MS Word or other popular software for a logo decal? I know how to create a solid color or just an outline using Word, but would like to replicate the style of lettering used on the Fender headstocks that has a gold script font with a black border or outline. I have seen some references to folks doing this but it sounds like they were using more sophisticated (i.e. expensive) software, and I was hoping to do it using what I already have. Thanks.

2. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    Hi Carl. From a legal standpoint, this is a touchy subject. If it's your own design...not clear in your post...then no problem. If you're looking to duplicate a Fender logo, this thread will likely sit quietly until it fades from view.

That being said, I don't think Word has the ability to do this. The feature you're looking for is called "stroke" at least in Photoshop and Illustrator that what they call it.

If you have something original and final that just needs the outline, PM me and I can help you with it.

Peace,
    Mark

3. Ironhide

Ironhide Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2008
    Dublin
    I'm pretty sure you could do that in Word? Maybe back when it was Word Processor. Otherwise Publisher might have that ability. I can't remember exactly, I made my custom "fecker" decal using a combination of MS Paint and XnView with a fender-similar font for the c and k pasted onto the original logo.

With XnView you can choose an effect to thicken the border, then in Paint you could fill it in with gold?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I guess I should have made it clear that I am not looking to do a fake "Fender" logo, but to use a Fenderish type font to create a logo based on my name or something (haven't finalized a design yet). In the past I have used the Microsoft Brush Script font, which comes kind of close to the 70s style Fender logo, but I could only get a solid color using Word. I think a big part of the look of the Fender font is the thin black outline around the gold main color, and that is what I am trying to replicate. I thought that if nothing else comes up I could print the decal with just the black outline (which Word can do) and then fill in the middle by hand with one of those gold markers, and then figure out some kind of sealer to put on top. Anyone do that?

6. ChancesR

ChancesR TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    If all you have is Word look for WordArt take a little tinkering to get what you want, but it can likely be done.

Or you could download the trial version of Photoshop Elements from Adobe.com and likely do it a little easier.

7. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    as a graphic designer by trade, I use adobe illustrator. photoshop and other apps like it are raster based (pixels) and illustrator or corel draw are both vector based (postscript). You want vector for the clean lines in the font, other wise when you go to print to waterslide, it will be jagged.

8. LesterCorncrake

LesterCorncrake TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Had 5 minutes to fill:

[​IMG]

You aiming for something like this? This was done in Illustrator, a far better product than Word for this sort of thing.

PS. What Pontmercy said.

For Milkshape:
    Carl E
    Brush Script Std Medium (an Adobe otf font I think)
    42pt on 15deg line, text skewed on path, individual letter tracking to get all letters to flow together, outlined and merged, with 0.5pt centre-aligned stroke.

“CARLECASTER”
    Gill Sans
    11pt on 15 deg line. No Skew. 200 AV tracking.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  9. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    New England
    I can also vouch for Illustrator and as a rank amateur I was able to create a decal with no jaggies.

Hey Lester Corncrake, I have used Banff and Script fonts but your decal looks extra way better than mine. May I inquire as to your font choices, sizes, and border widths?

10. Curly

Curly Tele-Meister

yeah, Illustrator is best for this. You can easily adjust the width of the outline.

also, if you are having someone else do the printing, they'll prefer a vector based file, such as Illustrator.

11. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya in Illustrator you either apply a stroke, or create paths from the text for more control, and then either create an outline or apply a stroke. A job like this is a 5 minute task in Illustrator.

I don't know much about free software for doing this, but does anyone know if Gimp can? I don't have any experience with Gimp. It's free, and it's a high end graphics program though: http://www.gimp.org/

12. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Free vector drawing software would be Inkscape for example.
    The logo in my signature was done with it.

13. DMichel123

DMichel123 Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    +1 for Inkscape. I made this a while back...
    [​IMG]

14. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Pretty cool, Lester. Thanks for the tip.

Here's something I threw together in a couple minutes:
    [​IMG]

15. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for all of the info. I will check out the software that you guys suggested, your logos look great!

16. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    Inkscape is a good suggestion, but like ChancesR said, Word will do the same thing with WordArt.

17. RobPvd

RobPvd Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Hi Carl, I did the same thing recently, and used Inkscape. It's free, and does the same functions as Illustrator for this purpose. I would post a pic, but I copied the Fender logo, and changed a few letters to spell my last name. Not sure of the legal ramifications of posting this...

18. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui/Indiana
    For the Inkscape experts, how do you adjust the line width of the outline of letters?

19. RobPvd

RobPvd Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2006
    Providence, RI
    No expert here, but it is Object-->Fill and Stroke (or Shift+Ctrl+F) to pull up the dialog, then select the Stroke Style tab. There you will see Width. Make sure you select the text first.

20. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui/Indiana
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.