Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Created my own Parallel Universe...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Paul45, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'm sure most of you have seen the new Parallel Universe models, you know...all those weird mashed-up Strat/Jags, Tele/Strats etc...

Well the only one that kinda appealed to me was this one....

Fender-Limited-Edition-Whiteguard-Strat.jpg But there were a few things that bothered me. I wasn't sure the rounded Strat contours matched the Tele aesthetic, and it really needed a Strat headstock.

Soooo, already having a spare Strat neck and most of the guts from another Tele project, I decided to create my own parallel universe. All I needed to get was the body ( Guitarbuild), a 4-way switch, a double cut bridge ( Gotoh ) and some pickguard material. And here's the result...

StratTele.jpg StratTele3.jpg

In all honesty, all it is is a Tele with an upper horn and a Strat headstock, but with more of that classic Tele vibe that I felt the Fender offering was lacking. I'm really liking it!

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Two different esthetics .. I like the parallel universe one, but I also really like yours .. great build! :)

Fender had a double cut tele a couple of years back, but non symmetrical horn and strat headstock make yours a much sexier version imo

[​IMG]

2blue2 and DougM like this.

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    Wow! That is super nice. Well done. It has vintage vibe and looks like what Fender should have made. Congratulations on a fabulous build.

DougM likes this.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice! I dig it!

DougM likes this.

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Very nice!
    Great job!

DougM likes this.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like that... I have often thought about this same slab side strat without the too smooth roundovers and no arm and belly cuts.

[​IMG]

2blue2, El Tele Lobo and DougM like this.

7. OldMike

OldMike TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Cleveland Zoo
    Very nice!
    My parallel universe is a 2016 American Standard Telecaster body with a Musicraft neck that has a Strat headstock. I'll post some pictures when the neck is done.

DougM likes this.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Great minds....
    ... nah. I bought mine last year, from the guy who put it together. Also a Guitarbuild body, with an unidentified neck.

[​IMG]

2blue2, NWinther, DougM and 1 other person like this.

9. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Awesome Black Guard Strato-Tele! The Fender one, since it's white blonde not BSB, should have a rosewood board, like Robben Ford's Tele, IMO.
    The Fender double cut one that Lobomov shows looks weird, 'cause that body shape looks like a TV Yellow Gibson LP Special Doublecut with P90's.

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

That looks nice! I also like that it has no contours and rounded edges!

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I dig the concept and can go with the whole Tele set up thing with the pg and all. But something about the straight control panel on a Strat body just doesn't do it for me. If I ever did a Tele-Strat (or Strat-ele as I like to call it), I'd do it like the one in my avatar. I just prefer the angled controls like on a regular Strat. But that's just me - nice guitar you've got there.

This is hollow body with acoustic neck pick up.

IMG_0226.JPG

2blue2 likes this.

12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fantastic!

13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    I like the Strat cuts, so am happy that the guy who made mine put those in. The edges have more like a Tele radius.

14. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Thanks for all the comments guys, they are all greatly appreciated.
    I took a photo of it with a nocaster clone I put together a couple of years ago for comparison.

StratTele4.jpg

They both have 4-way switching. The Tele has the Broadcaster/Twisted Tele setup and the Stratty one has Tonerider Hot Classics. I know I'm biased, but I think they go well together!

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    What a pair! Like your version better than any other strat-bodied tele I’ve seen...now I understand why: no body contours. They feel amazing, but I hate the way they look.

16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

17. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Nice pair, certainly. Both bodies from Guitarbuild?

They have a couple of telestrat bodies in stock even now, and many telemasters.

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Created my own Parallel Universe...”

A little parallel Swichcraft casts the spell

19. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2007
    UK

Yes, both bodies were from Guitarbuild. I'm seriously considering getting another one and routing it for a neck mini-humbucker. Decisions decisions!

Again, thanks for all the kind words guys.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.