Crazy Expensive Dust Collector

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by PingGuo, May 15, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My Dad was a smoker so I grew up breathing his second hand smoke. I used to do all kinds of crazy jobs that would harm me-- sprayed pesticides with inadequate protection. Worked with all kinds of gnarly solvents and chemicals.

And now my lungs have become sensitive. I try to avoid things like smoke, strong perfumes, etc. I think working in a wood shop would probably give me lung issues unless I was super careful....

I think standards have gotten more stringent as there is more science showing just how harmful fine particulates are to humans-- both in the short and long runs. I don't want to ultimately develop COPD, so I'm trying to pay more
    attention, such as wearing a proper mask when I sand stuff or use spraypaints etc. (COPD= chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-- i.e., you can't efff'in breathe).

3. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The electrostatic thing seems to be catching on in the consumer space. But they're relatively low cfm (for a big garage) and super expensive. The one's I've seen all look like Apple products.

Yeah, general "Chronic lower respiratory disease" which includes COPD, is the #3 killer in the U.S. according to the CDC. (if you exclude accidents, else it's #4)

It's tough because part of me is like "just get a standard cyclone, use 4" ducting, and it'll be good enough." But as you said, standards are getting better. Just because the old ways worked doesn't mean we have to live with the increased risk.

Then I start to wonder things like... If $2k could give me even another year of healthy life wouldn't I pay it?

I hope to spend a lot of time in the shop in the coming years.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A dozen $20 box fans with HEPA filters.
    Thein separator on your dedicated shop vacs at each tool.

I think YouTuber izzy swan did the box fan and filter comparison.

PingGuo likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

I think you can spend half that amount and get the same micron filtration. I would go with a freestanding Oneida and install it in a corner and run 4 or 6 inch metal trunklines down the two adjacent walls. You can set up blast gates for each machine. Realistically, you're not going to be running more that two machines simultaneously and 1000cfm is a LOT of air in a 4 inch pipe.

In my experience, the bigger issue is how good is the collection at point-of-generation. Does your bandsaw have good porting? A tablesaw is always going to throw dust off the top even with a super sucking DC on it. Probably the biggest generator of the superfine dust that lodges in your lungs in my shop is the router. I tackle that by doing most routing on a table with a fence and a 4" line pulling it down and off the bottom.

A drum sander is going to need the full force of a good collector. For handheld random orbital sanders, a dust collection vacuum is really what you want- quiet, tool triggered, ported and the leave virtually no dust behind. Bosch makes a good one. You can't really put more than 90cfm on a ROS anyway

PingGuo likes this.
  6. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I agree and I own a SawStop PCS after having a "close call" with a conventional table saw. It is indeed the only choice.

I have not invested the same in a DC system. I have a cheap Harbor Freight 1hp dust collector, only made usable with a trash can cyclone (I also replaced the bag with one that collects finer particles). It does an adequate job with my planer which absolutely requires something, as well as my SawStop. My old jointer doesn't have any way to collect dust, but I also feel the jointer doesn't create as fine as dust.

The biggest challenge I have is the router and that's a frequently used tool for guitar building. I tried a make-shift dust solution on my router table, but it just isn't effective. And then using a router handheld is basically a dust creation fest.

So basically I just try to wear a dust mask quite a bit. And when I do a lot of routing, I generally leave the room for 30 minutes to hopefully let the dust settle...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.