Crazy Expensive Dust Collector

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by PingGuo, May 15, 2019.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So, I've probably lost my mind... But I'm seriously considering this.

They say it'll pull 700cfm through a 4" hose. And that it pulls 18" of static pressure through 6" pipe.

Also it's supposed to be rated at 72db. And it exceeds EU standards for dust emission.

That said, it's stupid expensive. And there's very little user generated info on it.

The major magazines have had their look at it. They seem to like it. And the company has a decent handful of "brand ambassadors."

idk... I haven't pulled the trigger yet. But I sure am tempted.

Any thoughts?

If I got this I'd probably use just flex hose and connect it directly to each tool, one at a time.

I really like the idea of being able to sand, bandsaw, and do other low noise tasks without having earmuffs on. And I REALLY like the idea of having NEAR ZERO fine dust pumped back into the shop. But the price sure seems crazy...

Company site: https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/g700

Rockler overview:

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I was thinking this was gonna be about a '59 Les Paul.

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Practically everything in my house is an overpriced dust collector.

hooktool, eallen, SAguitar and 3 others like this.
  4. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I thought it was going to be about books

PingGuo likes this.
  5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Or a marshall stack in an efficiency apartment...

PingGuo likes this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd put my money into a known and proven entity after 3 of my higher cost expenditures went belly up after I made the purchases.

PingGuo likes this.
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

You must have a really fancy (and big) shop if you are even considering that thing...

PingGuo and dunehunter like this.
  8. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

First, yes, it is crazy expensive. But then, so are SawStop table saws. If this does a better job than a cyclone (mine still leaves lots of particulates in the air AND makes a lot of noise), then it's worth a look. However, before I plunked down that much money, I'd want to see (and hear) one in action.
    In the end, what value do you place on your fingers? If high, then a SawStop is for you. Similarly, how much are your lungs worth? Perhaps the price isn't too high after all.
    In my case, I lack the space for either.:(

PingGuo likes this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

How much do you use the shop? If it's 40 hours a week, then it's worth it. If it's 4 hours a week, you may want to put that money somewhere else. A Fein HEPA will do most things you described, for much less cash.

Alamo likes this.
  10. PingGuo

This is what I'm struggling with.

SawStop is a game changer. Regardless of how you feel about the company, it's the only choice if you can afford it. Nobody chooses (in good health) to cut their fingers off.

I feel like having a DC that emits near zero dust into the shop is similar. And the low noise is an incredible bonus.

IDK... I was all set to buy a two or three HP machine from grizzly. But then I started reading Bill Pentz's stuff. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/medical_risks.cfm

And I wondered... "Am I really just planning a very expensive chip collector system?"

If this thing really can pull 700cfm through a 4" hose, then I can deal with dragging it around to each machine.

AND. Since it has a variable speed, I can hook it up to my 2" ports on the palm sander and stuff like that.

I guess the big question is... Is this the new standard in DC health. Or is it just the Festool of dust collectors.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. PingGuo

I looked at the Festool version but it seems like the consensus is that a dust extractor is the wrong tool for the Bandsaw, jointer, and planer.

12. PingGuo

Yeah! That's a concern too!

Harvey has been around in Europe for awhile. They seem to be reasonably legit. But it's hard to tell.

If I got one I could order it through Woodcraft and that would probably add a layer of protection.

I'd VASTLY prefer to get one that's already here in the U.S.

13. PingGuo

It's not that fancy. And this would be a bit of a stretch for me.

But if it's like the SawStop of dust collectors... Maybe it's worth it? *shrugs*

I was planning on a pretty fancy dust collection system to begin with. But this machine on its own is about 1.5x what I'd planned on spending on the machine, ducting, and all that.

14. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Two things:
    Bandsawing and machine sanding are noisy activities, and you should be wearing hearing protection anyway.

72dB what? That could be sound power level, or it could be sound pressure level at a nominal distance. If it's 72dB at 10m, it's 92dB at 1m.

Tl/Dr: wear hearing protection.

Treadplatedual and PingGuo like this.
  15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My point is, that a smaller unit is OK for a part-time hobby builder. If you are generating large volumes of planer and jointer shavings, the industrial sized, (and priced), dust collector is a good investment. Bear in mind, if you get the big dog, you will eventually want a fixed duct system, with remote-control start/stop, and gates at each tool station, so plan for that, too.

PingGuo likes this.
  16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I also was thinking Les Paul....

I guess the old school way is to just wear a good respirator mask and hearing protection, and then to periodically vacuum the shop with a good HEPA vacuum cleaner.

It seems there are a couple of issues-- setting up convenient hosing that makes it easy to actually collect the dust from whatever tool you are using,
    and 2) making sure the placement is effective. I could imagine a fair bit of dust still managing to escape the suction depending on how things are rigged.

I also imagine that the super fine particulates-- the ones that will really lodge deep in your lungs and hurt you-- are fairly easy to catch right at the source, but harder
    to catch once they're floating in the air. In this scenario having a really good HEPA air filter system for the whole shop makes a lot of sense. We have one in our house
    to remove allergens, smoke particulates, etc.

I could also see that if the shop is in a garage then having the garage door wide open to allow lots of fresh air to get into the shop
    might make a lot of sense as well.

Bottom line is that I suspect being religious about wearing the proper type of mask might be the best long term lung protection of all. In theory after enough time has
    passed for all fine particulates to have been filtered out by the room's HEPA air scrubbing system then you could take off the mask. I suppose this device you might buy could
    also work to filter the air for the entire room if you just left it on for awhile, but that might be a case of using an elephant gun to shoot a mouse.

PingGuo likes this.
  18. PingGuo

Yeah, the mini gorilla is on my short list. My understanding is that people really love that machine.

I don't like that they claim it only pulls 580 CFM at 2" of SP. And that the filter clean-out is totally manual. And that it's 80ish db at 10'.

I do like that it's lightweight. Onieda has a track record of making great cyclones. And people love them.

It's tough though.

If I believe Pentz then I'm supposed to know that at 500ish CFM that machine is letting most of the fine dust escape into the air.

I quite smoking years ago because I didn't want to die from it... If I could spend an extra $2k to make the same decision in my home shop...

Pentz says "OSHA testing clearly shows most small shop workers get more fine dust exposure in a few hours woodworking than large facility workers get in months of full time work and we frequently work more toxic woods, so have higher more dangerous toxic chemical exposures."

(it's worth noting that I do wear a mask when cutting. but not at all times in the shop.)

19. PingGuo

This is where some of the price stuff gets squishy.

If I set up a nice traditional cyclone DC system it's going to cost about $2k.

Then, a HEPA scrubber is another $400 to 700: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Large-Floor-Air-Filter/G0573

And after that I still need a dust extractor to catch dust from my 2" ports...

In theory, Harvey G700 does it all. Just with a huge upfront sticker price.

20. PingGuo

The thing is, if Bill Pentz's work is to be believed, just one rip of MDF puts enough fine dust in the air to push a boatload of home shops over the safe level. or as he puts it "OSHA testing shows on average every twenty pounds of woodworking sawdust also makes enough fine dust to cause 15,119 typical two-car garage sized shops to fail an EPA air quality test."

Man oh man :/

One of my first jobs was in an art glass shop. We made leaded glass windows for rich people's homes.

Our hands would be black from pulling the lead cane use to hold the glass. And then we'd all walk outside and take a smoke break...

Cleanliness is a true luxury in our society. But the question is, if you can afford it, even if it's a bit of a stretch, should you push for it?

*still shrugs*

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.