Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

crazy control plate

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    troy2003 likes this.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

3. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Lol. It’s a Telecaster, not the space shuttle console. Sometimes the mouse trap doesn’t need reinventing

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The Enigma control plate! Defeated the ***** in WWII.

Wrong-Note Rod and troy2003 like this.

5. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Edited

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    it might be fun for a studio guitar, if you are really careful with it... and in my case, have a daughter with tiny fingers for flicking only one switch at a time.

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Yeah it's pretty fun to play with but not all that practical. I was inspired by how Brian May wired his Red Special with the phase switches. The one you linked to looks like it does a bunch of series/parallel switching for different combos. Mine is an on/off switch for each pickup and then phase switches. So it's cool because I can run neck and bridge pickups at the same time which is a combination I like a lot on a strat actually.

I'd like to see more pictures of that thing though. It says it's "EZ to install" so I'd hope the wiring is already done and it just needs pickups hooked up. Otherwise I doubt it's EZ at all!

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That's not so bad .. ;)

Check out some of the 'truly nutzoid' designs at guitarnutz2 forum.

... like 490 tones from HSH; 400 from HH.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wonder where the line is with some people. I thought the Jimmy Page Les Paul wiring was a little over the top when people loved that.

I hardly think these switches are fragile, but still not for me. Like most things with too many choices, you find three sounds that you like and you're back to standard wiring.

Steve Holt likes this.

10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Harvard has a Bachelor's degree built around that control plate.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I love the crazy switching I have on my SG: both humbuckers can be split, series/parallel, and in/out of phase. It's all with push pull pots though (all four knobs are a switch), discretion is key with fancy wiring IMO. It's all about that sleeper... this thing you've posted is just obnoxious and impractical.

12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    ^ look what I just posted haha! It can be a bit much, the phase switch in particular should not be a complete phase reversal cause that gets too weird, I use that one the least. But series wiring is awesome cause you can boost your guitar without needing another pedal, and coil splitting can give some great extra flavors here and there.

Kind of like you said, all 21 (or however many) settings are not all useful, but even if you add two or three extra tones you can trim the fat and know what works moving forward.

The Jimmy Page wiring harness is a great technical exercise if nothing else :). (Also, Page never had that wiring scheme, if I remember correctly. Just the phase switch to get the Peter Green sound, as he calls it.)

13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    It won't show the pictures, and I'm assuming those are the diagrams. Those I'd like to see!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.