Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Crate BV-120H Yes I said Crate ! Blue Voodoo content

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by blues bondsman, Aug 6, 2017.

1. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I picked up a Craigs list deal today that simply couldn't be passed up !

The aspiring musician had given up long ago and wanted this monster tube head and 4X12 cab out of his living space so.......

The only tweak is a 5751 in V-1
    Still has the original Groove Tube 6L6GB power tubes and the other 12Ax7's

Just a cheap chinese made G12 something crate cab, I even got better s tones after more tweaking but here is the original play through after the 5751 was installed.

I see potential and I'll say it would cost more for a quartet of 6L6's than I paid for the whole deal
    Extra cords and the original footswitch included

2. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    The guitar is a cheap Squier that I installed a single Gold Epiphone Humbucker from a Flying V.
    A single Gibson branded pot and an output jack , simple as can be,

3. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    When those heads were showing up in magazine ads and in stores, I was in the midst of my tube-snobbishness, and kind of prejudiced against Crate products in general--I was jonesing for a Matchless or something like that at the time and Crate's tiny knobs, little plastic rocker switches and especiallly the BV head's amber tube-glow-enhancing pilot lights seemed cheesy to me. The Crate ads actually mentioned the big bold gold-colored Crate logo as a selling point. What?

Then I plugged into a used BV head at a store and was pretty floored. I thought it rocked. I remember thinking, "This thing sounds good enough to have any old pilot lights it wants in there." Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but sometimes you think weird stuff when you're playing and digging the sound.

I recall being surprised how good it sounded at lower gain settings--unlike my buddy's 50W channel-switching JCM800, which I always wanted to like but could never quite manage it.

I play old solid-state Peavey stuff now and have no traces of tube snobbishness anymore. So I'm kind of jealous of your find. Anyway, cool find! Have fun!

5. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    The above video was shot just at high gain and so does not begin to show the capabilities of this head, the 4x12 is a mid sized cab that the head hardly fits on.
    What is really shocking is how decent the clean channel was.
    Then there is the fact that the last owner said he believed it was at least 15 years old and its has held up pretty well.
    Made in the USA too, I really expected it to be asian made.

Now the reverb is cheesy and then there is the size matters thing LOL !!! What a stinking BRUTE ! weighs as much as a combo and just freak'n HUGE.

On a budget, this is a killer find for the $$$

6. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    A little Clean from the Blue Voodoo

I did use my Cmatmods Signa drive with the gain turned all the way down for a little clean boost.
    Guitar this time is my Limited edition 2004 50th Stratocaster , ash body, maple neck and 54 Custom Shop Pickups.
    And it was before 6 am so.... Kinda had to keep the volume down or face the wrath of a tired wife LOL !!!

Excuse the knee LOL didn't know it was in the shot

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I've got a BV120H Blue Doo Doo as well.

Don't run 6L6Bs in there. They won't stand up to the plate voltage in the Blue Voodoo. You need to run a 6L6GC.

These amps have a beautiful clean channel, but way too much gain. On top of that, the gain tends to give you a bit of that "bees in a jar" quality. Use a 12AY7 or even a 12AU7 in V2 for a much more usable on board drive.

An NOS 5751 in V1 is a good choice.

Lots of folks have also gone to using a 12AT7 or a 5751 in the phase inverter.

blues bondsman likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.