Cranky people at the music store (rant alert)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blue Bill, May 17, 2019 at 6:48 PM.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I just cannot understand store owners that treat customers like they are an annoyance. This music store is about an hour from my house. I drive up there with a Strat I want some light setup work done on.

I explained what I thought it needed; the owner took some notes and started trying to tell me the neck may be warped. Hah? It has a very minor double bow, which I believe can be corrected with the truss rod or some minor fret leveling. It already plays darn nicely, it just has some very minor fret buzz around the 10th fret.

I didn’t argue, though, I figured their tech would know what it needed, so whatever. Then I asked if there was an amount for the work, that would not be exceeded, without calling me first. I suggested $100. Things got very chilly all of a sudden, he was glaring at me, like I had said something just awful.

I asked him what amount he thought would be appropriate. Instead of replying to the question, he said, in a kind of pissed off way, “Well I’ll let him deal with it, he’ll call you.”

I almost said never mind and took my offensive business elsewhere. Maybe I’m sensitive, but I really felt like I was getting the finger. And for what? I don’t know. Six hours later I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Jeepers, ya want to support the local stores, but wow. I’ve spent plenty of money at this store over the years, maybe not so much in the future.

Ah, that feels a little better, thanks for letting me rant.

2. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

So you told them you just wanted a set up and they didn't even give you the standard Price they Charge?

studio1087 and JayFreddy like this.
  3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I would have walked back out with my guitar and my money. I don't need my apple polished when I do business at a shop, but I will be damned if i will do business with people who cop an attitude with me.

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like he doesnt want your business to me.

5. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Working in a music store is one of the easier jobs I've ever had. I am much more understanding of a frustrated worker at a McDonalds. Even corporate music stores....way better than shoveling shirt in Louisiana, lol. IME every job I've had in food service was harder work than every job I've had in a music store.

Might be time to find a new music store...

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I bet they would say that darn Amazon is why they're struggling to stay in business.

7. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Go back and get your guitar. Now.

8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t give them the privilege of working on my guitar.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in your corner. Trust your instincts, Blue Bill.

If customer service doesn't seem to be important, then take your business elsewhere.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure that this applies in your case, but for nearly twenty years I was a neon glassblower, and worked in a number of small, independent shops. My take on MANY of the owners that went into business for themselves was that they did it because they SIMPLY COULDN'T WORK FOR OR WITH OTHER PEOPLE. They looked at being in business FOR themselves as meaning they could make ALL the rules, set their own work schedules, and not have to be amenable to ANYBODY else. Needless to say, they rarely lasted very long....sometimes only long enough to adversely affect the area's neon pricing. (they usually started their business and "low-balled" prices to try to get a foothold with the sign vendors. Even when they went belly-up, vendors would have used them to drive what they paid to other shops down) At the time, the sign vendors would hook-up with ANYBODY to save a few pennies. Having the means and resources to start a business does NOT mean someone has the temperament to do so!........

dswo, studio1087, Marc Morfei and 4 others like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm getting over being angry, now I'm just confused. Maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. It's really tough though, when you're trying to be pals with someone and they return the favor with rancor. It's incomprehensible.

No jazz: This store has been here forever, they seem to be doing well; there's usually more employees there than customers. So they're doing something right. But today was kinda bizarre.

I told him that $100 was more than I paid for the guitar, which is true, I scored it at a pawn shop, then fixed it up with new hardware. He said, "And that's my fault?", like I had insulted him somehow. Just weird.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:11 PM
  12. Blue Bill

It doesn't even need a setup, I do my own basic setups. It just needs a tweak. I could have bought a crowning file and done it myself, but I thought a visit to the store would be fun.

Hey Bones. I almost did, but I was sort of stunned. I was thinking, if I huffed out, I would never set foot in there again.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry Bill.

When people show you who they are, you should believe them. The first time.

Maybe the guy was having a bad day, but that's no excuse to talk to you or any valued customer that way.

My grandmother once told me, "People who you need to pay money to be friends with aren't worth being friends with."

In addition to the obvious applications, that one adage has saved me plenty of money, time, and grief.

I think the trick will be getting your guitar back without them holding it for ransom.

I hope you have another place you can go for guitar work. For whatever reason, it sounds like you have worn out your welcome at this one.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Some music stores are just a place for the owner to go to get out of the wives hair, they aren't interested in making money. Not all, but some...

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. No. I’d go pick up my guitar and go elsewhere. Anywhere. Attitude like that is inexcusable.

studio1087, Blue Bill, Bones and 3 others like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve worked for 7 music stores.
    I have a total of about 20 non consecutive years experience.
    I did sales, repairs, and management.
    All the shops (except GC) were Mom & Pop, all offered repairs (except GC-they do now), all were simple, honest, and would never disrespect or manipulate their customers.
    If I ever had the OP’s experience, I’d leave quietly, but I’d FLAME them on Yelp, and tell every player I know about the experience.
    Inexcusable!

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:34 AM
  17. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Definitely no excuse for his attitude, sorry you made the hour drive to be treated that way. "Some minor fret buzzing around the 10th fret" is not likely something that a truss rod adjustment will cure and "a very minor double bow" will probably require some fret leveling and possibly removing and shimming the neck if you want decent action. My guess is you're probably looking at leveling and recrowning the bottom half of the fret board minimum. In which case, $100 will be on the light side of what you can expect to put into it.

18. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

What is wrong with it?

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

If they shaft you when you pick it up accidentally trip over a few guitars on the way out.:twisted:

Getting work or a setup done is often problematic with pricing or getting ripped off. They figure you are gullible for not knowing how to set up your own guitar so often the unscrupulous guys take advantage of you. Or, they have in mind they are some kind of genius because they can do a basic setup or work on a guitar so figure they can charge what they like.
    No one can set up a guitar better than the player of that guitar themselves. It just takes some time and common sense learning how to do things yourself imo.

I see it as something like having an itch you want scratched. You can tell someone how to do it for you but chances are they wont get the exact right spot and why would you when you can just scratch it yourself for free.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:44 AM
    TeleFunk Man and stevemc like this.
  20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

But we’re supposed to go to great lengths to support local businesses.
    Owner like the OP encountered should be put out of business by Amazon, and quickly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.