Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Craigslist Jeep fiasco...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danjabellza, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Can we all agree that Danjabellza may just be the nicest member of TDPRI of all time? This thread has me intrigued. A guy wasted his time by misrepresenting loads of things and he gave him $60. Hopefully it will come back on him and he finds the best Jeep at the best price.

Also don't know how much a mechanic you are Danjabellza but when/if you do get your Jeep and have any problem let me know and I will try my best to help you out. I've picked up tricks and preventive maintance on these things, and I actually do like sharing what I know with people.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    After owning about every model of Jeep until about the late 90's, there are couple of tips I want to share:

1. Finding a rust free body and chassis is far more important than any mechanical issues.
    2. Desert vehicles rust VERY fast when removed from that dry climate
    3. 90% of the time, if an old Jeep isn't running right, you can bet the owner screwed up the timing. It seems to be the first thing idiots do when things aren't right, they screw with the timing and get them crazy off.
    4. Any vehicle with a problematic title becomes worthless
    5. The caveat to #4 is that all titles can be fixed, it just depends on who you have to pay and how much.

That was a pretty cheap price and all Jeeps of that era around here have dissolved into fertilizer, so a non-rusted one gets me excited, but I hate dealing with the DMV on a goofy title so I would have walked away as well. As for giving him something for his time? I would certainly have not done that, but you clearly are a nicer person than me.

3. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    The desert attracts strange characters. In the southwest, there is an area called “The Painted Desert.” My brother called it “The Padded Desert” because it was full of nuts and misfits (he fit right in).

If you live in the desert, you can’t avoid dealing with these people.

4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    My thoughts entirely. I’d have given him $60 worth of free advice!

:eek: Peter

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    You feel guilty for wasting his time when he was potentially trying to sell you a possibly-hot Jeep that has a warped head or blown gasket and likely worse on top of it?
    Seems to me you should have gotten the $60, at least...

Danjabellza likes this.

6. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Southern California
    I have a car I don't own & wont sell you for $40.....

PS: Your good karma will reward you on the next car, nice people will get repaid.

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    In the UK, if you buy a vehicle and there's money owing on it or it doesn't belong to the vendor, it's repossessed and returned to the rightful owner or sold to recoup the debt.

Therefore, in similar circumstances, I'd have walked away as soon as it became clear that there wasn't an unequivocal right of ownership. All the stuff about mechanical issues would only have increased the speed at which I'd have walked / run away from the deal.

I think you've done the right thing and had a lucky escape. Incidentally, bearing in mind that the vehicle wasn't as described and was in poor mechanical order, I wouldn't have paid him anything as he's the one that made the "less-than-accurate" claims about the vehicle.

Danjabellza and Toto'sDad like this.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I bought a diesel Mercedes once. Had a busted driveshaft, but I was able to locate another one that would fit, just needed a little length chopped out of a section of it. I had new tires put on it before I towed it home. It had a cut down one side that looked like it had been done by a renegade forklift, but it was only through two doors and the rear fender panel. I wasn't sure why the mechanic looked that way when he told me about the compression not being high enough, but that 3-spoked hood ornament up over that classic grille blinded me to all that.

Thing never did run, not while I had it. I put the tires on my Honda wagon--made it sit a bit high and the speedo read a bit low--and sold it at a loss (I threw in the driveshaft) to the next starry-eyed Mercedes aficionado, who answered the ad before I knew the paper was out, and came to see it before daybreak. He pressed cash into my hand, and came back that afternoon and towed it away, sitting a bit low on those little Honda tires.

I'm sure I'll hear about this when I get to Hell.

9. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2018
    Carlos, Tx
    Oh the good ole days when the old lady at the dmv would say your missing this paperwork and hands you a pen and says you ""might"" run into the guy outside, go look. And the lady at the small town drivers license place where they don't have scanners yet and you don't have your sons SS card with you and she cuts a green piece of paper about that size for you. And lets not forget getting our old truck inspected at the same place forever where the codger says I'm getting to old to get under there and look and lets you fill out your own safety sticker. Thankfully we don't have to scold you and say your fool. all the signs were there telling you to run. There is merit in being nice to people and treating them better than they treated you. You may not get a reward for it right away but you will.

BTW. I have a buddy who had a Jeep suv type thing and the small v8. It hand a zillion miles on it. He had a water leak and he ran it till the engine locked up. When it cooled it went back to running. Everything leaked. He drove it forever. I was sure he was going to be walking many times. I see it nearly every day. He sold it for hardly nothing. It's still going. I had a Jeep pickup I got for $100. Everything was leaking. Took a years work to get the fluids to stay on the inside. Drove it for 4 years. It's probably still going. On that one, the mechanics you probably could have overcome eventually, but the legal side was sure looking sketchy. You don't want to go thru all that and find out someone has been looking for it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Lake Placid Blue and Danjabellza like this.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Had a similar situation last year. Drove 2 hrs to buy a truck after extensive communication. Inquired about the title several times - the seller PROMISED that he had the title in hand. I got there and the guy not only didnt have the title in hand but actually lied about having a good title.

I had explaind to him that the law was different between his state and mine and while you can put an older used car on the road in GA and then petition for a title - you cant do that in SC.

To top it all off there was undisclosed rust and some minor body damage AND it drove like crap AND was advertised as having a flowmaster exhaust but instead had NO muffler or tail pipe!

The guy and his brother had to take the day off to make the deal so it cost them something too when I walked away. :)

Its amazing how a reasonable and polite sounding guy can be so fundamentally dishonest.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A trailer full of Jeep parts is always worth $ 500. So long as you buy from the actual owner of them.

Someone whose selling price falls that far, that fast, believes he hasn't really got the right to sell the thing to you. That's the real crux. Sometimes a clear Title is the most important aspect of the deal, and that IMO is what is too far gone most likely.

12. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    I'd have called the police while still at Applebees.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If you live in the desert chances are pretty good you ARE one of these people! :lol::lol::lol:

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now that right there is a story from a dedicated man who buys odd things.

15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    This story has a much deeper undertone than meets the eye, but if you suffer from the malaise or have ever suffered from it you will recognize the symptoms you have experienced yourself. Your mind sees some obscure object, and fixates on it. You start planning to get one, a fever takes over your body, no matter what you are doing, the back of your mind is always searching for said obscure item. It's like an alcoholic needing a drink, it's a physical craving. Then you spot one advertised in Bumpphucky Egypt! Okay, you say to yourself, that's a little out of the way, but hey, it's there, it's what I want, and I've always wondered what Bumpphucky looked like.

All the signs are there that it really ISN'T what you want, but you are blind to them. You scheme, you try and convince your wife if you have one that this is what you want and you HAVE to have it. I have done this so many times in my life! I once spent months looking for a sandalwood chess set, finally found one I could buy in India, the pictures were beautiful! I had to have it, in those days it was an ordeal getting things through customs, undaunted, like Chief Dan George, I persevered! Finally three months after ordering it, I had my chess set! It was total CRAP! The trash bin would have been a good home for it, but since it was GURANTEED to satisfy, I spent days, weeks, months even, going back through customs. The place I got the chess set from had to send me my money through third party checks that took me FOREVER to finally get my money back out of, and an understanding bank.

Well, I'd like to report to you that I learned my lesson with that. That of course would be total Bull Pucky since I've done the exact same thing with at least a hundred sought after items of musical, auto, golf, firearms, tools, hunting dogs, and I'll just throw in ETC. to cover the other objects that my mind recoils from thinking of.

I thought I had pretty much gotten over that, but recently I drove to Bear Valley Springs probably fifty miles to make a golf equipment trade and buy. I did end up with what I wanted, but that was only fate setting the hook in my mouth for another day. My addiction to searching peaked at driving a total of well over a thousand miles looking at Buick Riviera automobiles that I never did buy one of!

Lake Placid Blue and Danjabellza like this.

16. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, you probably did the right thing walking away.
    Scam #1:I needed a little pickup once and found one that would fit the bill. A little Mazda 2000. So I buy it and the guy gives me a signed title. He says he is selling it for his buddy who is in Alaska fishing. I take the truck home and go to have the title changed over to my name. No problem.
    Fast forward 3-4 years. I no longer need the truck but need a big truck. I find an F250 on a used lot, strike a deal to trade the Mazda in etc. Everything is fine so far, I have never opened the title which came in the mail, it just sat in a file. I give the salesman the unopened title envelope for the Mazda. He opens it and it's a "salvage title", (the truck had been wrecked above the extent of it's value at some point). Dealers wont take or sell salvage autos. Arghhh! So what happened was the private seller sold the truck with the original title to me before the state got the paperwork all done with the salvage notice.
    I just buy the F250 cash and sell the Mazda later at a big loss. I got scammed.
    Scam #2: Years later again, I'm buying an auto off craig's list. It's clean and very low miles little Ford Ranger pickup, 22k miles. I have a CarFax done on it. Yep Carfax shows one owner and the car bought new reported. Within a few months after buying it I find it has no power and hard to start. Mechanic says it has low compression/engine worn out and the catalytic converter is plugged. This usually occurs only after 150k miles or so. Every indication by him and a dealer mechanic is the car has tons of miles on it.
    Moral to this story is: if you have a car with tons of miles on it. Go buy a dash module from the wrecking yard for a car that was wrecked early in it's life. Install that and sell your car as a low mile wonder!

Danjabellza likes this.

17. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    These kind of title issues used to be common-place on Marine bases. A guy would deploy and leave his car with his buddy to look after. Then his buddy would get deployed and leave that car with another buddy to watch over. By the time the original owner returns, his car may have been passed off to 4-5 people that he doesn't even know. At one point they speculated that a 1/3 of all vehicles driven on base likely belonged to somebody else. I lost a boat that way, I was able to track it down to the 5th person before the trail went cold....never did find it again.

18. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    At least in the navy we all left together.

LeftFinger and kuvash like this.

19. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Jeeze. I'd say you dodged a bullet. You can try and salvage mechanical problems, but paperwork issues are another story. Even if everything was on the up & up, just trying to work with them on the corrections would be a hassle based on that one interactions.

Also, those people who sell cars and leave the gas tank empty really grind my gears.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a Saab cheap one time, all it needed was a new fuel pump. I specifically told the guys at the fancy dealer, please leave the fuel tank empty. The paperwork went fine, and I trailered the new acquisition to where I could drop the tank and change the pump. See General Motors did a last minute switch on Saab and the access port in the body doesn't come close to aligning with the location of the pump on the different tank that GM foisted on the Saab guys.

What do I find? Someone there filled the gas tank "because it is our way". Total PITA to get all the fuel out of there. No way I was gonna try to drop a fully laden gas tank.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.