Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Craigslist Jeep fiasco...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danjabellza, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    So, i already posted about this Jeep a few days ago, concerned about the white smoke. Today I went to check out the Jeep, and it was very clear that it was going to be a project, which given the extent of work/time it would take I managed to talk him down to $500 which he decreased to $480 after a couple other things came up. I got the cash out of the ATM and that’s when things got weird...

Let me set the scene:
    93 Cherokee Laredo, posted on Craigslist for $1900 “great Jeep, needs TLC” “calls only my phone doesn’t text(*this is important later) clean title in hand(also important)” I call about it, he says he’d take $1500, so we arrange a meet(today).

We meet up in an Applebee’s parking lot, I look over the Jeep, the paint isn’t as good as the pics looked, NBD I plan on scratching it up on narrow mountain trails, the interior is a little funky, a lot of the plastic is warped from the desert heat, NBD it’s a 25 year old Jeep in the Mojave. After looking it over I get in to test drive it. Doesn’t start... for a long time, it’s turning over but not kicking in. Then when it does start the exhaust is white Smokey and smells heavily of gas and it’s pretty obvious that not all cylinders are firing(even to not-a-mechanic me) NBD probably an old/bad spark plug. Then i start driving... SUPER UNDERPOWERED!! Could be because not all cylinders are firing, but it was a struggle to get to 35. Gas light was on and tank was on E, so we go by a gas station, and I (being a nice guy) put a couple gallons in the tank. (*This is important: he brings out his wallet to repay me for the $5 of gas, which I politely declined) Driving back to the Applebee’s, I notice a rhythmic clanking sound behind the front driver wheel, unsure of that is, I call my mechanic buddy, and we determine it’s probably not a big problem, maybe a lose brake pad. When looking at a possible rebuild, maybe new electrical, and new brake work, I realize this is not only going to be a project, but and expensive one. So, I embarrassedly offer what u hope isn’t an offensive $500, counters to $800 and seeing my trepidation he jumps on the $500, “yeah, that’s great. I just want to get rid of it.” Then we notice some loose lights, the need to tow etc, he lowers the price to $480, saying that’s the lowest he can go. I kick it around and figure even in poor running condition it’s worth more than that, and if we both think it’s fair for the work it’ll need, might as well.

I get the cash out of the atm, and we start looking at paper work, and this is where things got shady...

First off: the bill of sale he brought from the DMV has a woman’s name ok it. Both in buyers and sellers slots, he claims it’s his mothers name and the car was in her name for insurance purposes(fair enough maybe..). I ask him if I can take a picture of his ID for my records with the Bill of Sale for my own protection, he agrees, then remembers he doesn’t have his wallet(*), but offered to text(*) me a picture of his license when he gets home.then the “title” he has is actually an application for a title, (which he claimed is better than an actual title). The issue with the app for title is, it was signed and stamped by a notary, but the notary agent at started to write a date, but it wasn’t complete. When I pointed out that the notary’s information is incomplete, he offered to finish filling in the missing information of the date in the notary’s block of the form. I inform him that it’s a crime to modify/change a notarized document, his eloquent reply was “we’re not modifying it, we’re correcting it.” At this point I’m done. There was more, regarding sketchy storage recommendations until I was able to return Thursday to tow it over the mountain, but this is already a way too long post.

The end of the story was after a two hour ordeal(largely waiting on returned phone calls on his/my end of things both) I gave him $60 for his time, but told him I regretted having to back out but I wasn’t very comfortable with the overall situation, he (somewhat understandably) drove off in a huff. I hate wasting people’s time, but at the same time I feel like I dodged a major bullet and maybe avoided getting totally ripped off.

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I think you need to work on this "feeling guilty" thing for taking up the time of a shady scammer...

3. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    That sounds like the kind of thing which happens in the desert. More than likely the paperwork would have turned out okay, I’ve been able to title cars with less documents than the seller had. But the Jeep was not worth the price. I’m a competent mechanic, and earned something of a living flipping cars, but I would have stayed away from that Jeep.

4. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    It was more about that sliver of a chance that he was somehow on the up and up, but just an idiot.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

5. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    From $1900 to $480 in just a few days. He must really want to get rid of it.
    A mechanically inclined person could probably keep up with it, but what a headache.

This one sounds just too far gone.

Danjabellza likes this.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, you are a nice guy Danjabeliza. Too nice.

BTW, I have this sweet 1962 Ford truck bed trailer for sale. A classic. I like to call it "Road Worn" teal. Yeah okay, I'll take $5 off for no tailgate. Oh, and I'll throw in the spare that is missing some air for an extra $25. Oh don't you worry about the leaf springs, they give a nice soft ride when the trailer is empty. Oh, that tail light? Umm, yeah probably just a $0.50 lens will fix that. The title ... well, up here in Montana ....

7. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Haha the only thing disclosed before we met today was the smoke, which wasn’t a deal breaker, but all the stacked up little things coupled with the shadiness that transpired during our meeting... If I’d have know about all the other stuff I wouldn’t even have made the appointment.

Obsessed likes this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    It was nice of you to give him $60...plus put gas in it.
    I've seen some wierd stuff and met some shady ppl dealing with cars on CL. I have teenagers in need of cheap rides and in that sub 2k range you get all types.
    You made the right call backing out.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, I like to be up front about it. Umm, okay I'll drop the price of the trailer another $25, and I'll even pump up both tires for your trip. Oh, not to worry about the rattling rear end either.;)

Danjabellza likes this.

10. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I bought my Mohave '95 Jeep off Craigslist 8 years ago. Still going strong. Don't stop believin'.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I wouldn't have given him a penny. He was trying to rip you off, which he did for about seventy dollars. Eff him.

Pualee likes this.

12. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I used to drive a 94 jeep cherokee 2wd (stupid) auto 4.0. Parked it at 272,000 still running but was beat pretty bad.

I now drive an 89 jeep cherokee 4x4 auto 4.0. It currently has 97,000 miles. It had 78,000 when I got it for free. All i did was stop amd ask an older gentlemen if he'd be willing to sale it. Long story short he ended up giving to me because it didn't run. I had to put a fuel pump in. Started right up.

Over the last two years. I've put a new cat, new sparkplugs, new upper exhaust pipe, new tail pipe, fixed a bent rod (myfault), went ahead and replace head gasket, upraded fuel injectors, changed breaks/rotors, new radiator, new radiator hoses, new-stat, etc.

It's still an 89 year old jeep but these things are pretty cool looking and have killer 4wd. And you can normally keep them going, of course exceptions apply where sometimes it's time to let em go.

Also my brother-in-law just bought a 92 cherokee 4x4, this past Saturday, with 218,000 miles on it for $1000. Its super clean inside with minimal wear on the outside and it runs perfectly. Really just needs a paint job. He took me with him because he knows I've cone to know a thing or two about jeeps.

Keep looking for cherokees. You can normally find really nice stock, or a little rougher lifted cherokees for $1000-$2000. Or you can find immaculate stock, or really nice lifted cherokees for $2000-$2500.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Danjabellza likes this.

13. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Ok. I just seen where you gave him $60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I would have run for the hills. That sounds like a major nightmare in the making.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.

15. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I sold a Jeep on Craigslist that had similar issues(it could start but is severely underpowered with smoke belching!). I was completely transparent about the condition of the car. I specifically stated the issues that needed to be addressed and said “I would NOT sell the car if your not a mechanic or know what your doing”. Sold the jeep for $400 to a happy guy!

16. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I told ya the white smoke thing might be kinda intractable.

Man, I’ve bought some rather rough vehicles, like clapped out super high mileage things I paid about 60 of today’s dollars for, but not with a sketchy title. Ya did the right thing.

Danjabellza likes this.

17. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Haha by the sound of that Jeep he would have gotten to said hills faster running than driving the Jeep.

Lake Placid Blue and Danjabellza like this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It wouldn't have made any difference if you gave him $300 and drove off, you would still be money ahead of where you would have been if you got it for free. Sixty bucks was nice of you, I probably would have just bailed when I got there and things started not being what they were represented to be. I'd like to think you won't do that anymore, but I figure it'll take a few more of those kind of deals to cure you. I used to drive great distances for bargains. I've gone to L.A. to buy an amp I could have bought right here in B Town for the same price. You'll learn, but just not right away. If it's ANYWHERE out of town now, I don't go look at it now no matter what it is.

Lake Placid Blue and Danjabellza like this.

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    I'd a made the lyin' sack give me the 60 bucks

20. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    I would have run , not walked away from that deal. Way to sketchy a character by your description and paperwork issues are the kiss of death in my state. He would not have gotten a penny from me. It sounds like you are nice guy but very optimistic, if anything he wasted your time but probably saved you from buying a money pit.

Danjabellza likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.