craigslist ad ... and AWESOME RESPONSE

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by klasaine, Jan 2, 2012.

1. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Craigslist Ad:
    We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown Vancouver and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician's Reply:
    Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restauranteur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is a great reply!

4. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I heard somene say once, "Don't ever take a gig for 'exposure.' People die from exposure."

5. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

....and get arrested for it.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

:lol:

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

That's hilarious, although I think it would be even funnier (and more "accurate") if you said you wanted someone to provide a free buffet for fans at your gigs.

Someone in the mood for a prank (not me) could probably even string the restauranteur along for awhile, arguing that it would give him a lot of exposure to people who like to eat food, etc.

8. Old Cane

K, it's not just where you are. There are 2 right now on Nashville CL. Here's one. Laws on public exposure are kind of lax here in the south. I do better just exposing myself to peers.

Originals and or covers are welcome. I am looking for entertainers ESPECIALLY! song writers to book in January for PAYING! gig's. Get paid + tips + sell cd's + entertain, with your songs, to the general public, which means public exposure not just your peers. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Tonight is 6 to 9 at xxxx. Take exit 64 off of 24 and turn left off of the exit, no matter which way you are travening from on 24, and it is just up the street on the right. Call me if you have any ?'s concerning the Acoustic Open Mic format or the paying gig's to follow from it.

9. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

I don't know; that one has the word "PAYING" in capital letters, it seems intended to distinguish itself from the first example.

10. Old Cane

I guess I left the part out that this has been running since October for PAYING gigs in November. Same carrot. The stick just keeps getting longer. And the pay will be a $25 bar tab if the dates ever catch one another.

11. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

Clearly I'm just a hobbyist musician because I thought the musician's reply was kind of dick-ish. I get that music is the musician's "work product"; just as food is a chef's work product. People give away samples and pro bono work in the name of self-promotion and in service of larger-later rewards all the time. Merchants who already have a steady customer base don't need to do that but it doesn't mean that others don't want/need to. If you're not willing to give away a night of playing in exchange for the uncertain promise of more work later and direct cd sales, don't . Instead, ignore the add and keep scanning the classified ads for paying work. If the restaurant owner is way off base then he won't have any takers and he'll learn he needs to up the ante if he wants to get his needs yet.

Just one guy's opinion, worth exactly what it cost.

12. Old Cane

As a hobbyist I can see you thinking that. As a professional you know that nothing will ever come of this except maybe "well, it wasn't a good night. If you guys want to come back next week for free we'll see if you do better".

It's a scam plain and simple. It's the band's "casting couch".

13. klasaine

I don't even think it's a conscious scam per se. It's total ignorance.
    Most folks don't get that we work really hard at our craft. That we're all 'hobbyists' and it's just us havin' fun is kind of a universally held belief.
    It's partially our fault because it's 'cool' to make it seem like it's easy and that we just sorta do it ... under the influence of drugs and alcohol even. This is part of the public perception. It's not true but we are guilty of helping to propagate the myth.

But whatever. The OP - it's supposed to be 'a funny'. Lets not make it any more than that.

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Great reply....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Old Cane

If it's not a consious scam, and maybe where you are it's not, but here they call it throwing it against the wall and seeing what sticks. As long as it's free, nothing sticks. It's not about being good or bad anymore. It's about how many friends you can get to come see you play. I just tell them "I can't fix your business". The problem here is they want you to have a following. I burn a lot of bridges when I say all of my followers (all 3) have been here before and would never, ever come back for the bad food and overpriced drinks even if you booked the Stones. I'm just stating facts.

16. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

The hell you say.

17. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

This does sometimes work out. I just played (50s rock and roll covers) for free at a high profile event and off the back of it got signed to an agency that we had been trying to impress. They have already given us one booking. It was definitely worth the exposure.

The deal in the ad is different though...but not so bad. I wouldn't expect to get paid as a non-pro singer songwriter without a following. I wouldn't mind the chance to play in a nice venue to nice people once in a while and if I'm good I'll sell a few CDs. I've done it many times and usually enjoyed it.

Once again, I think people are looking at this different depending on their status regarding pro v non-pro and covers v originals.

18. klasaine

The ad's from Vancouver (B.C.).
    Here in L.A., they're not so polite.
    "We don't pay bands here. If you wanna play, cool. If not, somebody else will ... next."

19. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

That sounds pretty reasonable for L.A. I have no idea what it's like now, but it was pay to play back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Playing for free is a good deal!

20. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

When a coffee shop offers and open mic, there's no reason for a professional musician to take offense. They are essentially saying "we will let you busk inside our restaurant, if you want to." So it's a place where non-pros can go and get in front of an audience.

Nobody owes you a paying gig. If you draw enough of a crowd that bars make money off booking you, then you won't have problem finding gigs, ever. If you're not more entertaining than the non-pros that are willing to play for free in a little restaurant, how much are you really worth to anyplace?

How difficult it is to be a good musician has nothing to do with it. Computer programming is a lot easier than mining coal, but computer programmers get paid more than coal miners, because they produce more wealth for their employers. That's how the job market works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.