Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Crack between neck and pickup cavity

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Comfortableman, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Comfortableman

Comfortableman TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Sweden
    This telecaster plays great, sounds great and the neck is stable. But today I found this crack between the neck and the pickup cavity. Don’t know how or when it happened. It’s not cracked all the way so I can’t just take the small piece of wood out. But... should I be worried about this, or just put the pick guard back on and try to forget about it?

Thanks,

BA52DB9A-C7EF-4C3E-911F-ABB68C0D6CE4.jpeg 4769F9F7-8E0B-410F-8E9D-CC7BE678411E.jpeg

2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    It's a problem, but whether it becomes a big one or not is hard to tell. The crack seems almost certain to have been caused by the end of the neck pressing against (only) the cracked piece, exerting pressure because the strings are pulling it back and up -- a big lever! -- and there's more flex in the neck joint than there should be. The flex could be cause by something as simple as insufficiently snugged bolts, or as unwanted as a flexy bottom on the neck pocket. I would glue and clamp it, maybe sand it down to lessen the contact, and then not worry at all about it unless it recurs. As you can see in the pic, the grain orientation/glue joint? in that area is very weak ad subject to exactly this kind of crack.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I'd first confirm if it goes deeper than the pickup cavity route. If so, it needs to be addressed. If not, you could glue and clamp or just leave as is.

4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It appears to me there is a crack at the bottom too. The way the wood grain is that will likely pop right out. I dont think it will effect anything though. Cosmetic. They've left an awful thin piece of wood there.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

remove the neck, glue and clamp the broken piece. Reinstall the neck and make sure the heel is seated against the body. Sometimes a half to full turn of the screw 'lifts' the neck from the body, might have happened here then string tension or a tip-over of the guitar or dropped case caused the fracture.

6. Comfortableman

Comfortableman TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, the crack extends to the bottom too. But the crack is only on the neck side (towards the neck cavity that is) and not on the pickup side. It doesn’t go any deeper than what shows in the pictures, so I guess glue and clamp is the way to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.