Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Covering a logo in a headstock?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Doctorx33, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Advice please on covering a logo on a headstock. The headstock is probably poly, the logo is underneath I don't know how many coats of clear. Stripping and repainting would require skills I don't have. I thought of shaping a piece of pickguard material and gluing or screwing it on, somehow I don't think that would look ok.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

One guitar I'm not fond of the 'signature artist' plus I've done a huge number of repairs and mods so I cut some black plastic that replaced the truss rod cover with a longer strip that runs up over the signature. Black sheet like pickguard material on a black guitar. If you have a wide expanse you could make yours fit across the face and under some or all of the tuner nuts. Could even use a steel or aluminum sheet or that punched grill like sheet at the hardware store. Completely removable and you can change it later.

Another guitar I used some aluminum flashing tape (that I use for shielding cavities) and ran a strip below the tuners (strat-like-device) and off the headstock then trimmed to the edge of the headstock with a knife. Aluminum goes with any color guitar. Probably removable.

3. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    I think the simplest way would be be to find a "sticker" or decal that could cover it. Also adding to the idea of jvin248 if you wanted to cover the whole headstock you could use vinyl. Places that do decals/wraps for cars can print anything on it and they can get a large range of colored vinyl. One other idea is you could paint just the headstock. I would suggest using auto Dupli-Color spray cans found in any auto parts store is a wide range of colors. These cans are great and have a very good spray nozzle. I would suggest also getting a can of Dupli-Color clear coat and as recommended putting on a few coats.
    Wade

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.