Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Couple of new builds - one Tele, one custom

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bronkowitz, Dec 9, 2012.

  1. Bronkowitz

    Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    122
    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago
    This year I built guitars #2 and #3. I don't get much time to do this, so a couple a year is about all I can manage.

    The first one isn't quite complete yet. It needs the finishing touches, but this time of year it's almost impossible to find the time. It's a walnut Tele finished in Tru Oil. The neck is maple, and the fretboard is bubinga with panga panga inlays. (It seems like every time I go to the hardwood store for something I come back with a 3/4" x 4" x 4' piece of some exotic wood that was just begging me to take it home to turn it into fretboard blanks!)

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Bronkowitz

    Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    122
    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago
    The second guitar is one of my own design. I wanted to do something unique that I hadn't see before, so I had a lot of fun with it.

    The body is cherry, the neck is a mahogany/maple laminate sandwich. The fretboard is purpleheart with handmade curvy diamond MOP inlays. The headstock is a bookmatched curly maple veneer I resawed from a different project. You can see the contour I added to the front of it to give it something distinctive. The jack is located next to the hook at the bottom, just between the last two knobs.

    I made up my own wiring scheme. The knob closest to the headstock is a blend pot so I can dial in any combination of the pickups. The next knob is a master volume. The third knob is a push-pull pot with two different tone options. And the fourth knob (nearest the base) is a five-way rotary switch with the following configurations:

    1 - series humbuckers (neck and bridge)
    2 - single coil (neck), series humbucker (bridge)
    3 - single coil (neck and bridge)
    4 - series humbucker (neck), single coil (bridge)
    5 - parallel humbuckers (neck and bridge)


    I've already got a laundry list of improvements I want to make for it on the next go around. :)


    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    ETA: You can see the cherry board I used for this guitar in this post in the thread where I detailed my first build last year.
     
  3. Bronkowitz

    Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    122
    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago
    I finally got around to digging out the broken bridge screw on the walnut Tele. So I finished making the nut and set the action and intonation on it tonight. It plays great!

    Sorry, I didn't do a great job of documenting this one, so there aren't really any in-process pics.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

  5. Bentley

    Bentley Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    4,177
    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2012
    Location:
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Ooooh, love both. That design is really unique, those carves must have been annoying to sand in, since you have to go with the grain.
     
  6. Bronkowitz

    Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    122
    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago
    Thanks! I didn't go with the grain to lay in the contour. I used a v-tool to create the channel and then used a random orbit sander to create the gentle slopes. I took a lot of care to clean up the sanding marks after the bulk of the material was removed, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Share This Page