Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Country Tones from a Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

Put out the torches, leave the pitchforks alone, I'm fully aware that I'll never fool anyone into thinking that my Strat is a Tele. But I'm wondeing if anyone has any tips for getting a country tone out of my Strat. Again, obvously it's not gonna be the same, but something a little closer to that world. She's an American Deluxe, so I'm wondering if any of that S-1 voodoo can help...

2. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

Hmm, well after listening to Albert Lee for how long, there are two things he does.

1. Plays very fast (like we didn't know that)

2. Play his notes staccato

These two things distract you and you don't realize, "Hey, he's playing a Strat!"

(Ernie Ball Model, but you know what I mean)

3. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

Lots of country music was and is played on a Strat. It's probably every bit as much a part of country as the Tele. Strats were designed by and for country pickers. It's not hard to pull good country tones out of a Strat at all...just plug it into a Twin or Deluxe and pick away. It doesn't sound like a Tele, but it still sounds great on a country tune.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. getbent

getbent Telefied

eldon shamblin sure sounds good on a tele.

6. jazzbender

jazzbender Tele-Meister

Country on a strat? Why not? So you won't sound like everybody else, that could be a good thing. Experiment with your settings until you find the tone you like then keep on pickin'.

7. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

I agree. Just remember, most people don't know the difference and as long as the sound is clean, they really won't sense anything. Heck, most of us guitarists don't care too awful much what guitar you're playing as long as you play it well.

Here's some Albert Lee just to keep this going

8. getbent

getbent Telefied

strat country... my all time fave... Mr. Reggie Young.

9. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

If you listen close to Pete Anderson with Dwight there's quite a bit of strat work on those early albums.

10. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

huh? :confused:

11. getbent

getbent Telefied

uh, I meant strat.. sorry... advanced age and low IQ are my excuse.

12. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

I was watching SNL last night with host Tim McGraw. In his monologue he did a bit of one of his songs. The guitarist from the SNL Band was playing a Strat. Sound pretty twangy to me. But I couldn't help but comment to my wife that he should've been playing a Tele...would have sounded a bit more "authentic".

13. jbfantx

jbfantx TDPRI Member

I've gotten some twangy tones by picking close to the bridge. It seems to get a little more snap to it.

14. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

I thought you must've meant Strat, but I thought maybe I missed something and Eldon had some hidden, little known Tele thing going on somewhere in his past that you knew about.

15. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I agree & was going to post similar comments

16. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

plank spanker

I did a mod (neck on) with a push/pull tone pot to combine my bridge and neck on my Strat (57/62 pups) and I'll tell you it does move the twang meter some. I have two Teles as well so I know the sound.;)

Playing with the amp mid ,treble and bass settings helps dial it in a little too.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

Sure. I was playing my Deluxe Strat at a charity gig last night. The regular guitarist for the house band couldn't make it so I was drafted to sit in on a few songs from their set. We did a few from Santana, Joe Cocker, Jefferson Airplane, The Band and Janis Joplin. For Me and Bobby McGee, I threw it to the bridge pickup and played clean for some country riffs. Sounded great.

18. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

I guess it's just another one of those things where it's more what you paly and how you play it than what you play it on. D'oh! I think I'll try to find me a tab book or two, to get some riffs and licks under my fingers.

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Playing country is more about technique and amp set-up than guitar. I've played in country bands off and on for ages, both as bass and lead player, and have seen more strats and strat clones used than teles over the years, not to mention Les Pauls and various hollow-body Gibsons. One tip is to keep the treble on the amp a little higher, and obviously keep the distortion down if you're playing fast runs and fills. Mostly it just comes down to playing the licks with a country rather than a rock feel, which for me is harder than it looks! <G>

20. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Exactly!

Tim

21. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

I have a Classic Player 50's Strat with 57/62 pickups. This thing twnags more than my Nashville Tele... And I mean by a long shot. It's one of the twangiest guitars I've ever played. Even without combining the bridge and neck pickups (which it does stock) It'll even get twang out of the middle pickup!

My strat gets great country... too bad I ain't any good at playing it! LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.