Country Swing and Jazz Chord progressions

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Twangbanger, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Western Swing steel guitar is often played on the C6 neck of a double neck; maybe that's what he meant.

2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, and us guitbox players sticking to triads allows those cool 6th's (etc.) on the steel to be heard.

If you don't already have it get one of those Tiffany recordings of the Texas Playboys ... http://www.allmusic.com/album/tiffany-transcriptions-vol-1-mw0000309793

3. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you like Western Swing, tune into John Woolley's "swing on this" radio show each Saturday night, 7 Central, streaming on kwgs.org from Tulsa. Lots of Wills and others less well known.

5. texas_surfer

texas_surfer TDPRI Member

Leon, your PDF's and video lessons have been a tremendous help over the past week! Thanks so much. You really made it a lot easier than I anticipated it to be in getting a grip on this style.

Funny thing, I mentioned all the great stuff I got from you to my fiddle player at rehearsal last night and he starred at me a minute repeating your name over and over and suddenly remembered that he knew you from his days in Austin. His name is Kevin Freeman. He said he only knew you as a fiddle player also and if he had known you were so great playing the old fiddle tunes on guitar that he would have made a point to ask to jam with you regularly. He loves this stuff!

Thanks again!

6. Leon Grizzard

Small world. Glad my stuff was helpful.

7. ducktailcat

ducktailcat TDPRI Member

Hey Leon, I subscribed to your channel yesterday and I must say your explainations of the chords with a moving bassline were indeed very helpful!!
    Thanks a lot

8. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Pardon my ignorance (I guess there's no such thing as dumb question, when it comes to guitars and music in general), but is this guy playing ll V l substitutions to jazz things up? Instead of vamping on the l chord for 4 beats , hitting ll, V, l, ??? I really like this rhythm style. Thanks for posting.
    Swang on,

9. kudzugypsy

kudzugypsy TDPRI Member

i'll put a plug in for a guy who REALLY opened up my understanding of classic western swing moving guitar lines
    - his vol 1 is the one you want (and it its pretty advanced) this video is well worth the money - 10 years worth of study distilled down to 90mins.
    http://www.whitsmith.net/

i'm sure you have heard of the Hot Club of Cowtown

10. Leon Grizzard

Whit Smith is an excellent player and I bet his instructional materials would be well worth the money.

11. Leon Grizzard

I've deleted my first answer because I was thinking of the wrong video. I don't play this tune, Say Old Man can You Play the Fiddle. I need to run through it.

However, I think it is a typical around the horn deal. If you will search this forum with the word Royce you will get a thread called Real Deal Country Comping. In that thread I tab out three choruses of this fellow, Royce Franklin, accompanying Grey Eagle in A. I'm on my iPhone today and don't know how to copy the link to the thread

12. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Leon, I wasn't really looking for a chart to this song. Just getting into chord substitutions, instead of sitting on the 1 chord for 4 beats. I'm hip to inversions, but a little vague on when you use the ll-V-l. Looks like this cat may be doing it in his comping on that fiddle tune (nice playing). From what I understand, the ll is usually a minor and the V a 7th chord. Hot Club Of Cowtown fan. Whit Smith is amazing. Seen 'em a couple of times a few years back. Don't get around much anymore (isn't that the name of a tune I'm working on?) but still grab the guitar and work on swing tunes and jazz standards every day. Ater many years as a box position blues and country player, the neck is finally opening up! I'll experiment and try to play along with this when I get home. Thanks again y'all for the posts.
    Swang on,

13. Leon Grizzard

Say Old Man always sounds weird because it is a minor melody against major chords but the basic move is like Grey Eagle: I I7 IV IV#dim over four beats of I. In post 4 above I link to three threads. The top one is about Ida Red and in the first line of tab in post 6 of that thread I show the classic way of doing it in A: A A9/C# D D#dim. That is the basic sub in Texas Style fiddle accompaniment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.