Country Guitar Tips!?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ecsong187, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Has anyone mentioned fiddle tunes?

2. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

The reason I mention it is, the fiddle is to me kind of the bedrock of country music. I would venture that nearly 100% of the great country guitarists have a repertoire of fiddle tunes.

3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, and no. Yes to playing NOTES from the C scale over the C chord, etc. NO to playing scales. Lots of rock stuff is scales, but country and jazz aren't scale-oriented like that.

For example, the C chord is C E G. that means that the primary notes you'll be playing are C E and G. But if you're playing a passing tone from C to E, it's D. In another scale, it might be D flat. The better example might be going from E to G. In C that's F. In G, it's F sharp. Then again, E isn't in the G chord, so you'd be using that F sharp as something other than a passing tone (probably using it to slide up to G).

And yes, if you're going from the C chord to the G chord, putting that G near the change often sounds good. That's your circle of fifths coming into play.

4. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Try Country Guitar Soloing by Paul Kramerhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000AJ0F1/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-8488893-4661540

This is, IMHO, the best country instructional for people from a non country background.

Like you, I fell for country after years of rock and blues - and it is a whole different musical mindset.

It was this DVD that gave me the eureka moment after months of not understanding why I sounded like a blues player playing country.

Its not about hit licks (although there's plenty I still use to this day) but it is brilliant at explaining the why and how of country playing that let's you explore and understand all the other stuff out there.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Although I think it's hard to find.

That, and as a previous poster said, listen, listen, listen. If you aren't in the country part of the States there are loads of great classic country stations on Internet radio.

When I was learning, i,d fall asleep listening to it every night (wife wasn't happy - she likes Fountains of Wayne ;-)

5. TeamTivamo

TeamTivamo NEW MEMBER!

Hey Guys,

Sharing this as we thought you might find this helpful.

Pro guitarist‬ Ed Eason (Carrie Underwood, The Band Perry) will host a Q&A Video Chat session this Thurs to hang out with his fans! You can sign up free here: http://tivamo.com/tivamoservice/mo/175-Show-Up-with-Ed-Eason

Donations made during the session will benefit The Mentoring Project.
    Please share and help us spread the word!

Thanks,
    TeamTivamo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.