Cornell Traveller 5: One for the UK guys

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Richie-string, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    https://www.cornellamps.com/traveler-5

This looks an awesome little amp.

Cornell amps are well known in the UK - high quality components and all handwired. The main guy - Denis Cornell - used to work for Vox back in the day and i think another well known British manufacturer before starting off his own company. His company is well known for the high quality of their work and i think the price is sensational for a handwired amp. I'm going to start saving for one of these.

The specs are 1x EL84, 1x 12AX7, 5 watts with attenuator going down to 1.5, 0.25, 0.05 watts. Controls: gain, tone, volume. Clean/mean switch that controls how aggressive the amp is.

I really like the look of this. Must have one. I already have two small 5 watters but the attenuator and the HW really swings this one for me.

triviani and jimytheassassin like this.
  2. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I've been looking to the webpage regularly, toying the idea of ordering one someday. It looks great, and much more home-friendly than their other bigger amps.

Richie-string likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Cornell. Good enough for Wilko, good enough for us mortals :)

Given the exorbitant cost of the Fender Champ, this looks like a bit of a bargain for what it is. As to having 5 Watters already, so Watt!. Quality tiddler amps are a joy unto themselves.

Succumb to GAS and keep us posted.

4. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Yes so much better value than the fender champ (don't get me wrong i love small fender tube amps - i've got the Bassbreaker 007) but this little Cornell is so much more versatile. And as you say the price just makes it so much of a great proposition.

I've just started new job - so it'll be a couple of months before i can afford one but as soon as the funds are there this little puppy is top of my shopping list. I've also got the Vox AC4c1 which is an absolutely smashing little amp but ever since i bought it i have always worried in case i get a problem with one of the components on the board. With the Cornell i can know i'll be playing the thing till the end of my days.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My Romany Pro with 2-10"s weighs a ton, but sounds great, especially with OD and delay pedals.

6. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

An attenuated 5w is a pretty versatile amp if I may say so, I use mine a lot. Mines got a Celestion Alnico gold 10" speaker in it and keeps up with a moderate drummer in a jam situation no problem (albeit running pretty much full throttle). Then I can click in the attenuator and get full grind without causing the family to leave the house. I say go for it!

Cheers, Scott.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.