Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cornell Romany 10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by aureo, Nov 2, 2017.

1. aureo

aureo TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Gaia - Portugal
    Hi,
    Any experience with the Cornell Romany 10? I need a really good amp to record at home at low volume (I live in an apartment).
    This one caught my eye.
    I’m selling my Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb half stack because I can’t play it at home and a little Laney Cub 12.
    The amp that I’ll be buying will be my only amp so it has to be something special and the price can’t be to much... 1000 euros max.
    So, this little Cornell really seems to be in the ballpark.
    I play a ‘62 Custom Fender Tele made in Japan, with CS Nocaster pickups and a Derek Trucks SG.
    I really like that 70s vintage vibe sounds.
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    uriah1 likes this.

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    I'm not familiar with those, but consider a vintage Vibro Champ or Gibsonette/GA5. Also, some people like the Bassbreaker 007, which has some higher gain options if you're coming from a Marshall...

aureo likes this.

3. aureo

aureo TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Gaia - Portugal
    I don’t really mind if the amp has less gain. Nowadays I play mostly low to medium gain stuff. I am interested in getting an amp that, at the edge of breakup, will work well together with a tubescreamer. I was looking at the Fender 68 Custom Princeton but I came across this Cornell and, for little less than the Princeton, I get a handwired amp and, from what I read, a really good one. Problem is I can’t try before buy...

4. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2011
    London
    Terrific little amp! It has various power settings so you can crank it at home. It also has an EQ cut which bypasses the EQ section and takes it from a Blackface tone to a raw tweed like tone.

Another amp that my be worth a look is the Orange Rocker 15. It has a full pr half power mode and either mode can be run on bedroom or headroom setting which takes the volume right down. I wouldn't think it's in the same league as the Romany though.

There's also a Romany + with a 12" speaker and reverb.

aureo likes this.

5. aureo

aureo TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Gaia - Portugal
    If anyone has audio or video using a Cornell Romany 10 please share. There are plenty of videos using the 12’’ version but very few using the 10’’. And since It will not be possible for me to try before buy it would be great to listen to some recordings...

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I can't comment on the Romany 10 itself, but I've known Dennis Cornell for a lot of years and his workmanship is always absolutely top-class.

aureo likes this.

7. aureo

aureo TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Gaia - Portugal
    After much thought, lots of youtube videos and some conversations (including with Mr Denis Cornell), ended up not buying the Romany 10 but ordered a Cornell Plexi 7 (1x12). Right now I'm anxiously waiting for the amp.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Tony474 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.