Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cornell Dupree - Yamaha Pacifica 1512

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I decided to try figuring out some of the lead work on Brook Benton's "Rainy Night In Georgia," and it made me want to check out some more of Cornell Dupree's work. I also found out about his Yamaha Sig model, a Tele-like object that is giving me some serious GAS:
    [​IMG]
    Anybody play one, or know much about them? It seems like a real versatile combo of pickups and it looks great too. I also haven't seen one for sale on Reverb or eBait in the month I've been trolling, seems to be a hard model to come by. I do have a great compound Strat neck waiting for a home and Warmoth can put together a body with the right pickup routes, but I'm not sure exactly how the electronics are laid out and what models of pickups might be a good fit, so any info on the control layout and pickup specs would be appreciated.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great looking guitar!
    I’m a longtime CD fan.
    I didn’t know he had a signature model.
    Cool!

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Isn't that beautiful? I'm trying to see what the feasibility would be of recreating it on my own since the model is so hard to come by.
    As for the man himself, he had a way of playing lead with chord tones that I've really been enjoying digging in to, and he had excellent rhythm sense. Good stuff.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Love Mr. Dupree's work. Never seen the guitar. (It won't really make you play like him, of course, but you know that. :D)

That actually looks like a session player's guitar. Seems like it could cover nearly any sound asked for.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    "By 1971, videos show that Dupree had started playing a Fender Telecaster to help him cut through dense live and recorded mixes. The pickguard had been removed, and the screw holes had been filled with large metal bolts that gave it a studded appearance. It also had a Gretsch-style DeArmond pickup between the neck and bridge pickups. An additional control plate under the original appears to have held an extra knob and switch, no doubt to control the middle pickup.

Dupree eventually collaborated with Yamaha and began playing a Tele-style instrument that was marketed as the Cornell Dupree model. And with a humbucker in the neck position, a single-coil-sized blade humbucker in the middle, and a Tele-style bridge pickup it was a versatile machine. Toward the end of his career, Dupree was seen primarily with Yamaha Pacifica Tele-style instruments."

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yes, I know... It just struck me a great-looking and versatile guit and triggered the GAS. You know how it is.
    Where did you find that please? I'll do some digging of my own when I get time. To my eyes though, it looks like the bridge pickup that's a blade humbucker, and a standard Strat-style in the middle.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I do. It's hopeless to resist.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

8. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    1971 Montreux...I see everything but the extra pickup.

This album Live at Montreux is one of my favorite Cornell Dupree moments. There's some standout Aretha Franklin cuts (trying to remember) that he played on since everyone's heard the Brooks Benton song.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    TigerG and Teleguy61 like this.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Good stuff, thanks!
    He also appears to be playing a Hiwatt amp. As if my GAS for one of those wasn't great enough already because of the Gilmour connection...

:rolleyes:

GAS is a hole in the fabric of spacetime into which you throw your disposable income, and until my student loans are paid off I won't have much...

elihu likes this.

11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

That band be rockin!

elihu likes this.

12. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Check him out on the Gadd Gang's 'Way Back Home.'

Teleguy61 likes this.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I agree, great cut.
    A friend of mine used to go see him in New York, and got friendly with him.
    Asked him one night, "What's the deal with the middle pickup?"
    Cornell said, "It's so I can control the bite."
    Yep, that's a Tele player.

14. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    Love Cornell...his take on Okie Dokie Stomp is one of the best versions...

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'll double check when I get home but I think that info is from his instructional book/CD

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Cool thanks.

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    His work on Donny Hathaway's " Live " album was superb. :cool:

R.I.P. :cry:

18. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    I met and played with Cornell at a jam session in LA back in the hazy 80's (at The Alley rehearsal studio in North Hollywood; Little Feat's old place...).
    It was a party; we were high.
    But even though I was a clueless kid in many ways - though I didn't really see it that way at the time, everything right about his playing was everything wrong about mine - he was cool, gracious, and complimentary.
    Great artist, great guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.