Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cool tremolo/flanger effect - poor man's Leslie

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jsnwhite619, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I was playing with my 5F11 I built and had the tremolo jacked way up - speed & depth. While it was up there at hummingbird heartbeat levels, I kicked on my Flanger and started tweaking it. In the end, I actually came up with a pretty cool Leslie effect. Not spot on, but pretty close considering what I was working with. I only tried it with the Tele, but I imagine the Les Paul would come closer with some overdrive just because the Tele still had more distinction in the twang & notes.

Anyway, it sounded pretty cool and thought I'd pass it along.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A similar thread about this came up a few weeks ago, but using a Trem pedal and if your amp has it, its own onboard Trem. Or of course, two Trem pedals.

I tried it with pedal and onboard, and damn, it actually works.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

3. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But this thread doesn't belong here, and I guess the mods are gonna move it.

4. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    My mistake. I did it here because the 5f11 tremolo is what really made it. I've had the flanger for years and tried it with other tremolo amps, but I never got this sound before.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That was my guess, but the concept is still a Stomp Box thing.

My problem is that my X2's head is tap tempo, which I hate. So eventually, I gotta go into FUSE and make a preset or two for Trem which matches up to the pedal (which I can easily adjust on the fly) which matches up to the maybe one, two or three songs I would ever play for a Leslie effect.

I really dislike tap tempo, but granted, I've never given myself the chance to really work with it.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh. I forgot a biggie:

I'm getting an incredible Leslie sound because I'm going to a 112, but going from the head's line out to a second amp.

That second amp, and I guess a second cab as well, makes a big difference. But especially the second amp because you can color the sound differently.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    Combining tremelo and chorus also gets a 'passable' leslie impression.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I need a list of Leslie for guitar songs that I should consider learning.

I don't have a good ear to guess which modulation effect I'm hearing on any particular song.

9. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Here is Warren Haynes using a Rotosphere, which is a Leslie simulator....Hammond sounds on your guitar. Start around the 1:25 mark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.