Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

"Cooder-caster" Strat project underway

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Core, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    For a long time now, I've been meaning to do this...to fit a Valco/Supro bridge and Pickup unit to a bitza Strat - which I happen to have lying around - in an attempt to build a replica of Ry Cooder's favourite Strat.

[​IMG]

Well.... I ain't ever going to be able to play like him - but I can have a go at "sounding" like him!

I collected alll of the parts required - except for the pickguard blank.

On Ry's guitar, the Supro pickup unit is chrome or nickel plated... the unit I have (from a 1946 lap steel) has been painted, or something, and is corroded in places... as you can see here...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It may look tatty, but it works perfectly and sounded great on the lap steel!

....so the first task was to get the metal base plate and pickup cover cleaned up...

[​IMG]

..wire brush and elbow grease!

Ry uses a Teisco gold foil pickup roughly halfway between the centre and neck pickups on a production Strat...
    [​IMG]

After a bit of routing and shaping - here we have the Strat body, with new pups resting in situ...
    [​IMG]

I have decided not to test my pickguard cutting skills out on a perloid plate, just yet - so have made this temporary single-ply white pickguard up, as a stop-gap

[​IMG]

And here's the current state of play...
    [​IMG]

...everything just slotted into place - prior to holes for pots and switch being made.

I have decided to go for a three way Tele switch in a traditional Strat position, rather than Ry's choice of mini toggle - which i'll probably fit to the final perloid pickguard...

watch this space...

2. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

Oh, I was hoping you meant the sonic blue Bigsby equipped one... Great stuff anyways. :)

3. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    Very cool stuff. Keep us posted. 8)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Tele-Holic

Mar 2, 2003
    Lynden, WA
    [​IMG]

If your experience is anything like mine, you're gonna love it. While mine is not an exact replica, it's a twin in spirit. Cranked through any of my tweed amps is one of my joys these days- I'm certainly not a "skilled" slider, but I'm trying! Keep us posted on how your project turns out.

6. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    TT....Wow! Looks great. Did you do the mods yourself? Love the look fo the cream body, too...

I have wired up the Supro pickup and couldn't resist putting on some .013s

Played it thru my 10watt Cornell .... what a sound! I'll need to get some sound clips up.....

7. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    Wired up... using a three way Tele switch instead of RC's mini toggle. Can't lay my hands on a domed Tele volume cotrol knob right now, this is ok for now....
    [​IMG]

Just need pickguard screws and to be re strung again
    ... then we are ready to slide.

8. vic108

vic108 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2005
    Greenbackville, VA
    Very Very Cool!

9. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2005
    Oh man that is freaking awesome! A long while back(before I knew about Cooder) I fitted a black foil teisco pickup to my Squier Bullet(more or less a very cheap Tom Delonge style) Pickup pit perfectly in the bridge and boy this does it rip, I love single coils. I can't wait to hear some sound clips, it's really coming along good. I wonder how he originally came up with his design.

P.S. Does anyone have any info on the Teisco pickups? Is there a difference between the gold's and black's? What kind of magnet is in them and most importantly does ANY company out there make a pickup that's even close to sounding like them?

10. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    taht gets me thinking really hard!

oh boy is this a cool thing! congratulations!
    i have an ald framus lapsteel lying around that has killer slidetone. and the whole pickup-bridgething is completely in one matalbox, that is bolted to the body. so i just need some kind of body, nail the thing down and here we go.... only problem: my wife wants no more guitars in here and she like the look of the old lapsteel hanging at the wall. hard one, isn´t it?
    happy holydays to everybody in slideland,
    eddie

11. Harrison

Harrison Tele-Meister

Feb 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Are you gonna get that bridge chromed?

12. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    It is complete!!!

Am away for Christmas, so will get some clips up early 2006.

Happy holidays, guys....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    Yes, that's my long term plan, H.... I also plan to change the pickguard to either whiite perloid or leopard skin [honest] and fit a three way mini toggle.

3string ... there is a guy making repros, but I cant find his name. Bear with me until after the holidyas and I will dig it out.

Thanks Eddie..... Yes, the tone is outstanding!! especially in the centre position with both pups on.... incredible

Slide on, bros.....

[​IMG]

14. vic108

vic108 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2005
    Greenbackville, VA
    Hey Core SWEET guitar!

And Happy Christmas & Merry New Years
    to you and yours too! Have a great trip!

15. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2005
    Still can't get over this guitar, that middle pickup has to sound sweet.

16. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006
    wow, awesome axe! Thanks for posting the pics too. This is great stuff. I may just have to try it out as well. This looks way too much fun.

17. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Tarantula Trace Trail, AZ
    Bet that sounds great and nice job on it. I'm pretty sure an anodizing or powder coating shop could use a micro-blaster and get that baseplate in like new condition ready for nickle plating very inexpensively.

18. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    you dont want to sell it?

19. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    I love those Tiesco gold foil pickups.
    One went on an old Teisco Del Ray E-110 (single pickup - neck position).
    Took off the original "toaster" style pickup, and replaced it with the Teisco gold foil. Purist might hate me for the "upgrade" (the 1969 Teisco E-110 was 100% original), but it was a MAJOR improvement in tone. Kept the electronics stock: 100K vol. pot. & 500K tone pot. with .06 cap.
    A second Tiesco gold foil, is in the neck position of a DIY guitar project, with a Gibson P-90 in the bridge position, Used an old Norma body & neck, along with a roller bridge and tremalo unit from a Tiesco Del Ray ET-200. Two mini on-off switches, two volume controls (one 100K, the other 500K) and one tone control (500K, with .033uf cap.). Kluson vintage tuners on headstock. Will try to get pick up soon. Steve

20. Core

Core Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Hampshire, England
    Havent been around much lately - lots going on....

Thanks for all the kind comments guys... appreciated.

two reasons for posting today:

1) Finally got a soundclip of the Coodercaster ...recorded thru the onboard mic of my MacBook - couldnt ifnd that dam' cable!!!

It's my old pal Mark playing it thru a Microcube - using the Teisco pickup only

Take a listen.... http://www.box.net/shared/18q8klziha

and

2) Son of Coodercaster is complete

:)

I think its easy to spot what mods I have made here.... three Teisco Gold Foils and a 5 way switch

Tone heaven!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. kermitkev

kermitkev TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2009
    chichester, england
    These guitars all look great. I've build my own. Teisco neck pickup, with the 'guts' (coils & mags) of a Jason Lollar Supro pickup in the chassis of an old original one - which I also had nickel plated. The plating cost £30 GBP. Huge Warmoth neck, with truss rod adjustment in heel & 16" radius. Alder body. Callaham bridge/trem. (picture below)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.