Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Converting CD music to mp3's. How hard is it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dana, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Ashland, Ma
    My band has assigned me the task of figuring out a way to convert our band demos to mp3.s and posting them on our website. Anyone familiar with this?
    I've been doing some research on the web. My guess is that you need software that will convert the CD tracks to wav files, then you need to convert them to mp3's. Is there one software program that will do this? What's the cheapest, easiest way to go?

Thanks,
    Dana
    [/i]

2. telemike

telemike Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    All kinds

Hey, there are BUNCHES of free utilities that will do this. Does your computer have a cd burner? If so, the software that came with it will likely do it. But, go to www.zdnet.com or www.download.com and do a search. There are programs out there that will "rip" the tracks from the cd and then convert them to mp3, or at least a program that will rip them, and then a program that will convert them.

I am using a free program here at work called Music File Converter 1.1 that will rip tracks to wav files or mp3's. I can email it to you if you'd like. It is 1.63 MB. Just send me a PM.

3. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Leesburg, GA
    Musicmatch Jukebox is one of, if not the, most popular utilities for "ripping" cd's. Free versions are availible here.

http://www.musicmatch.com/

4. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    Toast

I got Toast bundled with my CD burner (for Mac).
    Rips CDs into AIFF files.
    Downloaded the free version of Pro Tools for
    converting to mp3 (amongst other things).

5. TACurtis

TACurtis TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2003
    I use Soundjam MP. It plays CDs as well as MP3s and converts from CD to MP3 in one step.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.