Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Converting a cheap strat in to a superstart

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KevinN, Dec 27, 2013.

1. KevinN

KevinN NEW MEMBER!

Dec 27, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I bought a used yamaha pacifica 112J a few months back for $100, so i could practice re-fretting on it. This guitar is a solid alder body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard, and is a surprisingly good guitar.

Since the base materials were actually good I am going to modify the entire guitar to a superstrat. The cost of the guitar is actually cheaper then if i purchased the raw materials alone.

***I will try to post in a step-by-step format, so that it might help others who will do the same modifications, using a limited amount of tools***

Attached Files:

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That is very nice !

3. KevinN

KevinN NEW MEMBER!

Dec 27, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    The first thing i did was take apart the guitar and sanded down the body.
    Then I straightened the neck, by adjusting the truss rod

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I'll watch this as I have the same guitar in black waiting for mods. Got lucky as it has a highly flamed neck too. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

6. camps764

camps764 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Omaha, Ne
  7. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Bridgeport,NY
    I did one a while back w/Squire body.

customstrat8.jpg

8. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    These are very underrated guitars. Almost a superstrat already. I got one for $50 w no bridge, jack or nut and set it up for slide, sounds great.

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    What constitutes a "superstrat"?

10. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I will defer to experts, but to my mind a bridge humbucker, jumbo frets, flat radius, Floyd Rose trem... eg EVH Frankenstein.

11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    I was going to say I really like the green, oh well.

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That is why I said it was very nice in my first post on this thread.

13. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Green was nice, but you can't leave that untouched. What's the fun in that.

You should make it a pretty baby/sky-blue.. I could go for one of those..

14. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The Pacifica may be cheap but it is very far from nasty. That body is a very decent piece of wood. It will make an excellent project base.

Does it really need re-fretting?
    You will be hard pushed to improve on a Yamaha neck.

You may be hard pushed to improve on Yamaha pickups too.

The SSH Paciifica /is/ a super-strat already, I have no idea how they do stuff this cheap. New from £150 Pacifica 012 to over £500 Pacifica 611

My "super strat", an Aria custom shop job, has a pair of 15k/17 humbuckers, very clear and bright but also incredibly powerful, and a licensed Floyd Rose with locking nut (which I hate). It had some rubbish electronics in it which I replaced with a "Dallas Rangemaster" circuit built on the back of a pot.

Have fun.

15. plankmonger

plankmonger Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2013
    ct
    Pacificas have always been pretty solid guitars. I don't know why yamaha lets themselves be an
    "Also ran" guitar company, though I know they prioritize on the electronics arena.

I had one way back when. I liked it.

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    from Wikipedia;

Superstrat (sometimes spelled as sooper strat or super-strat) is a name for an electric guitar design that resembles a Fender Stratocaster but with differences that clearly distinguish it from a standard Stratocaster, usually to cater to a different playing style. Differences typically (but not necessarily) include more pointed, aggressive-looking body and neck shapes, different woods, increased number of frets, usage of humbucking pickups and Floyd Rose tremolo systems.[1][2][3]

There is no formal definition of a superstrat;[3] the categorisation is still largely left to popular opinion and depends greatly on the artist(s) associated with a particular model and how it is marketed. Superstrats are generally suited for heavy metal music played with high-gain distortion.

I never considered a strat body with humbuckers a superstrat...Jackson Soloist, Charvel, and Kramer style guitars with tighter radiused edges and non-standard pickguard-less pickup configurations evolved into them from what I remember. Charvel did indeed have some strat -like bodies with one or two pickups, but I don't think they were considered superstrats at the time. Many mini switches were popular in superstrats to obtain in phase out of phase and coil tap combinations. Of course this is all my perception and like the above said, there is no formal definition.

I owned a Pacifica once and it was a higher quality guitar than most bolt on guitars at twice the price. The neck ended at what would be the 23rd fret, so it wasn't something you could swap into another guitar without work.

17. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    There is no better way to get started in building than by modding. A little experience, a few tools and you're ready to do your own bodies.

I will, however, echo the comments above that the Yamaha is a pretty decent guitar to begin with. (The real challenge will be modding something borderline, like an Agile.) Their S-styles aren't well known, but their semi-hollows like the SBG are quite popular and so are their acoustics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.