Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Convert Les Paul to Telecaster - How close can I get?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DugT, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

Just go buy an inexpensive Tele. and mod it. You will have better results.

8barlouie and Piggy Stu like this.

2. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Where was your guitar made? If it is an Ibanez that was made in Japan, I would not modify it in any way. They seem to have some value and you might get more for it by selling it to someone looking for the Japanese version of that guitar. There are Ibanez aficionados out there.

You can get a good Telecaster for a very decent price if you just look for one. The Ibanez, if it is Japanese made one, could be sold to buy at least a few good Telecasters.

8barlouie and Crobbins like this.

3. WindowSills

WindowSills TDPRI Member

May 7, 2011
    Chicago
    Lollar Novel-T in bridge, maybe a Fralin Twangmaster in neck. Or you can just roll the volume back to 7-8 on a good PAF and no one will know! ThroBak has some double-slug pickups they describe as Tele-on-steroids.

But really, here's the thing: in the end it's your choice! Nobody else has your ears. So play whatever guitar feels right in YOUR hands and mod it until it sounds like YOU want it to sound.
    What you play (the music) and how you play (your style/technique) have a greater impact than what gear you use. Especially in the context of recorded music - no one is going to know what gear you used.

Obviously we come here because we obsess about these kinds of things. Fret size, radius, fingerboard wood, body wood, scale length, pickups, pickup resistance, gauges of wire, gauges of strings, pot values, type of finish, bridge types, etc... In the end, the group's opinions don't matter a lick. It's all down to personal preference.

4. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Well a quick search tells me the AR720 is a relatively new model though it is very much like older AR series models so it won't be a Japanese made guitar and not have any special collector value.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Another pickup choice that could be done without routing and could be changed back to original state are the Seymour Duncan P Rails. Gives great humbucker tones, convincing P90 tones and the rail pups can give you convincing Strat tones. The Triple Shot Rings give you endless switching choices.

You'll only get close to getting Tele tones, but can be done with the Tele pickups in the GFS mounting rings.

I would leave the guitar as is and trade it for a good Tele if your not happy with it or use the money you would spend modding on buying a good used/cheaper brand Tele. Ibanez Talman's are a good buy.

Doug 54 likes this.

6. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    A few P-90's are out there too in a HB cover.

7. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    My AR720 was made in 2013. I bought it two months ago in like new condition for $700 which seems like a great value to me. It is my first electric guitar. One of the reasons I bought it is it has four pots and three 3-way switches. With all of those options and my Boss Katana amp I thought I had every tone covered. I was perfectly happy until a month ago when I listened to a YouTube video of a guy playing a strat. I loved the tone and while researching it I learned about the out of phase tones which I also love. Then I bought a 1992 Peavey Predator and I prefer its 3S tones but I prefer the neck and frets of my Ibanez. Also, my fingernails and pick regularly stumble on the strats middle pickup.

Fast forward to the end of the first page of this thread where I explained that last night I bought a new G&L ASAT tele copy for $275. They are normally $500 new and $400 on sale. It was an Ebay Buy it Now bargain. The neck of the ASAT should be better than the Peavey because the Peavey's frets are a little too worn and low.

I'll learn as I go and also from the excellent advice here. Many hear have recommended other humbuckers but I am hanging tough with single coils. Maybe I'll learn the hard way that I am wrong but I just don't think I need humbuckers. Many here have also recommended I just buy a telecaster and mine will arrive on Wednesday. :) Hopefully it will be a one guitar solution but I doubt if that happens very often.

Ira7 and Piggy Stu like this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ahhhhh...

Good man.

You can never go wrong by buying a new guitar...it's what most of us here do best...and we freaking LOVE NGD threads.

You're gonna love it, I'm sure. G&L makes great stuff.

8barlouie likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I TOTALLY respect and applaud your decision to stay with SC for your first Tele.

You did good.

10. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    Thanks, Ira7!

By the way, I'm amazed at how affordable electric guitars are compared to acoustics. Around 1983 I bought a new Lowden acoustic guitar for $1000 and now it is worth about $3000. My 1970's Ramirez classical guitar is worth over $2000. But I'm having a lot more fun playing a 1992 Peavey Predator I got for $140. My amp was $300 but its versatility and programmability make it seem like a much better value than an ipad, for example. Now I live in a dry area where I'd have to constantly humidify my acoustics.

11. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Like you, I too appreciate the clarity and definition of single coils. I hate mud. So if you want single coil tone that sounds great clean or dirty in a humbucking guitar I recommend Tonerider Alnico II Classics. Closest you're going to get without breaking the bank. Good luck!

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Oh man, I wouldn't mess with that! Sweet-looking guit.
    As others have said, maybe try to find yourself a nice used MIM instead. Put a Broadcaster in the bridge, and you're set.

13. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I wouldn't compromise the looks or resale value of my Ibanez LP copy. In fact, it still has the factory protective plastic on the back panel covers. I'll keep the plastic on it until I stop chasing tone and finally decide to keep it or sell it. It looks nice but it has a little too much gold for my taste.

14. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    Those pickups sound great, especially for humbuckers. It wasn't easy finding a video of them played clean instead dirty rock but they sounded good to me both ways. I'll keep them in mind if I keep the Ibanez.

15. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I replaced some muddy humbuckers with them in one of my guitars, which is on loan to a friend. He recorded some songs with it and it sounds really good!

16. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I bought a telecaster and I like it so much I might sell my Ibanez LP copy and my strat copy.

Crobbins likes this.

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I recently purchased the Epi Koa Custom. Then I had the original HB's replaced with Seynour Duncans Phat Cats (P90s that look like humbuckers) and the guitar came to life. While P90 wiring is all over the place, stay with some that are in the 6-7K range and you will be able to play anything with them.
    And while my Custom sounds a world better, nobody is ever going to mistake it for a Tele. I've got a Tele for that.

18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    This..

19. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    This gave me a marketing idea for Seymour Duncan. They could market Tex Mex or Mariachi pups as Senior Duncans.

20. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    There was just another thread by, I think, 3ChordGenius, where he pulled the screws from his humbuckers and got a tone pretty close to a p90. Not exactly a tele bridge, but closer than a humbucker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.