Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Convert a Super Reverb into a Vibroverb 1-15?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ringo, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Just curious, I can get a mid 70s Super Reverb reasonably. I've had Super Reverbs and they sound great but top heavy and much bigger than I need or want to haul around, not that I do that a lot.

I've never had a Vibroverb, if I were put a Super Reverb chassis into a 1-15 cab ala Vibroverb, would I need to change the output transformer, since a Super is 2 ohm or would it work ok with a 4 ohm speaker (easier and cheaper than swapping a transformer I'd think? )

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    i've heard that Fender OTs can handle a 100% impedence mismatch, but it is not optimal. I once did a SFSR with a 15" speaker, but had Weber whip up a California 15 at 2 ohms, same price as 4 or 8.

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    You can get a 2 ohm 15" speaker but you might have to have it reconed for a 2 ohm voice coil. That would be optimal but a 4 ohm 15" would work.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    For your time and effort you'd end up with an amp of roughly the same weight but maybe 5" shorter? Weight as compared to CTS speakers/
    Why not go to a 2x10 and truly have a smaller amp, maybe cheaper too?
    Or are you talking about changing the circuit all the way to Vibroverb? I'd change the OT for that.
    I'd agree though that a 4ohm 15 would be ok. Two 8 ohm tens would be ok as well. IMO

I have a SFSR sitting in my basement waiting for a good idea, and two tens seems like the best to my mind and to general internet consensus as well.
    Just my opinion, I'm not hooked on a speaker size, more interested in compact and light weight these days.

A Vibroverb would be a great destination for a SFSR though.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I'm just thinking out loud, 2-10s would be pretty similar to a Vibrolux Reverb but more wattage and louder, it would be a good sound for sure. It wouldn't be a lot lighter but a LOT easier to transport, Super Reverbs are top heavy and bulky IMO.
    I've never had a combo amp with a 15" speaker, although for a while I did use an Eminence Big Ben 15 with a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head and it sounded good.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    If you have one laying around and who doesn't? An output transformer out of a Twin Reverb is 8 ohms with two 6L6s.
    Otherwise one 2-10 option is useing a something like a 5R4 rectifier to drop some voltage then putting a pair of JJ 6V6S in it. The JJs can handle the voltage and with the SR's OT 6v6s are a 4 ohm load.
    As for the 15". You can put a 15 in a Twin Reverb and they are a lot shorter than a Super.

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I put a 66 BFSR in a 2x10 JD Newell cabinet with 2 Weber 10A125 4 ohm speakers. I call it a "Super Vibrolux"
    When I bought the 66 and it had already been cut down to a head and I already had a near mint 65 BFSR.

IMG_20120715_173135.jpg IMG_20120715_165934.jpg

JeffBlue and robrob like this.

8. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    Here's my Super Vibrolux. 6V6 power tubes and a NOS 5R4 rectifier. I had to change the fixed resistor on the bias adjust from 27K to 10K. Using the 6V6's makes the OT impedance match an 4 Ohm load. Back View.JPG Front.JPG Speakers Wired.JPG

t guitar floyd, JeffBlue and robrob like this.

9. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    This is a old thread but I've had this idea for a while. I built a new baffle and run a 4 ohm 15" in my Blackfaced 70' Twin Reverb for years but I would like to have something smaller than the TR and tube rectified. I always loved Blackface tone through a 15". Weber makes several 15's in 2 ohms so it should just be a matter of cutting a new baffle, mounting the speaker and covering it with grill cloth. Real Vibroverbs are collector priced now so I'd feel a lot better about hauling around a $800 Super Reverb with a 15" to gigs than a $9,000 real Vibroverb.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    A 4-ohm speaker will work but you will lose a bit of power and punch.

Honestly, unless you've played a 1x15 Vibroverb and have a specific need for it (as opposed to a Super) the practical sound difference is minimal - and the weight difference is not nearly as noticeable as some would think. I've owned both at the same time in two different time periods.

robrob likes this.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The small OT in the Vibroverb is a big difference, Ime, compared to the larger iron used in the SR, TR, and the Bassman amps of that time. For instance, when Cesar Diaz overhauled SRv's VV amps, he used a TR OT. the larger iron yields a different sonic and slightly more power than does the smaller OT that Fender used in the Bandmaster, V'verbs, Pro, Pro Reverbs and the Vibrolux Reverbs. Nowadays, the smaller iron might be more desirable because most are not looking for more power.
    IMHO, one should consider exactly what they want out of the amp before embarking on such a project because here is a difference in what the different OT's do. Punch and headroom?? LArger iron. Looser and earlier breakup??? Small iron.
    Either way, my personal thought is that the impedance should be a match.

12. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    When I built a Vibroverb out of a '66 BFSR chassis I had sitting around, I went with a VV OT because I wanted to compression and less punch. BUT...I also found out the original SR OT wouldn't clear the Legend 1518 speaker frame in my Mather VV cab. The project turned out great, though the chassis wiring still needs needs a few more repairs.

Anyone need a SR OT from 1966? It and the choke were the only original iron left on the chassis...the PT was from a '69 SR and the reverb trans. was from a Mesa

Wally likes this.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fwiw, that OT difference is one big reason why the '64 Custom Vibroverb....a clone of the Diaz-modded AB763 SRV amps....doesn't sound like a stock AB763 Vibroverb.

14. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    There is a lot of iron separating the two (the nice thing is the chassis is already drilled for either)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wally likes this.

15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I keep flirting with the idea of buying an aftermarket cab, either 2X10 or 1X15 to turn my Bandmaster Reverb into a Vibroclone,. Lux or Verb would be good.

robrob likes this.

16. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I like the heavier iron for the OT for the deeper tone but it wouldn't be too big of a step to put a bandmaster/Vibrolux/Vibroverb 40W OT in a SR if you wanted a more authentic sound. If you going to you might as well pick up a multi-tap tranny too so you can use a wide range of speakers. The reason I wanted to use the 2 ohm Weber speaker was to keep it simple though, just replace the baffle and be done. SRV's modded ones and the custom shop Vibroverbs are closer to 1x15 Supers than original ones sound wise it seems to me anyway.

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You can use a Weber Z-Matcher between the 15" speaker and the OT output. That's what I use with my SR chassis. There's just under 1dB loss (measured).

tombob and robrob like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.