Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Control Plate Help

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mefgames, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

I am looking for a little help in choosing a Tele control plate with controls. I see prices ranging from very little to outrageous. Can anyone provide me with some info on this ? I'm looking for a standard chrome plate with vol/tone/ and a 3 way switch. What's a reasonable price point where you don't get junk and don't break the bank ? Please name names/dealers/suppliers.

Thanks in advance, Mike

2. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

It would probably be cheaper and quicker to go to home depot, buy a tiny bit of metal, and make your own.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister

Sounds like the OP was looking for a pre-wired control plate. I've never used one, but look here for a kit with quality components.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_kitstele.htm

If you figure $15 for the actual control plate plus a few bucks for the pre-wiring work and it seems like around $50 or $55 would be about right for a quality pre-wired control plate.

6. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

I have some of the components for the assembly, but was mainly looking for others choices and experience with this. The ebay $ 5.99' ers prices are too good to be true, and the $ 100.00 assemblies are too rich for me. I am looking for that " good quality at a reasonable price" part. I can find them online all day long, but was looking for input from fellow TDPRI'ers on their experience.

Thanks, Mike

7. Skip Ellis

Skip Ellis Tele-Meister

MOJO - fair prices, good products

8. whodatpat

Wiring is far too easy to waste money or compromise quality on. Get two audio taper CTS or Bourne 250k pots and a Good 3 way switch from Mojo and your about 25 bucks in for good quality. The electronics on the eBay cheapies are pure crap.

9. itsGreg

itsGreg Tele-Holic

+1
    Get yourself a cheap soldering iron, hotter the better if your not used to soldering (40w ideal) and solder it yourself. Soldering is stupidly easy, especially if you use flux(even if your solder is flux/rosin core use extra flux).
    Just remember shiny solder is good solder(if it's dull its a cold solder joint and prone to fail) and don't blow on it to cool it(a great way of getting cold solder joints).
    Trust me you'll never look back.

Sent from my H.A.L 9000 using TDPRI app

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

11. whodatpat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.