Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Contours/belly cuts rule

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tassytele, Aug 3, 2012.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    please, lets not encourage this madness. :eek:

2. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    Done deal!

1997 B-bender Tele with an arm bevel, I love it.

Attached Files:

3. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    That belly and arm contour is just fantastic. Did you do it with a plan? Or did you just wing it? How deep did you make the cuts?

4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I totally agree, I wish strats were slab bodies also, and really wish strats had tele bodies just routed for strat electronics. I’m not a fan of the upper horn on the strat body either . However I do still love strats, just not as much as teles

5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    sorry for note replying sooner Mangus, I drew a light pencil line for the bevel edges, but didn't start at the line with the grinder. started on the edge of the guitar, and took off laters with the grinder, (maybe a sixteenth of an inch thick at a time) swooping the grinder blade along the line with a smooth regular motion. Get it somewhat close then the sander takes over for the finer stuff. The grinder works pretty fast.

6. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Mine are done. Today I am going to be sanding the sealant from the kit and sand prepping. Probably from 150 to 320( or 400)stain will follow and then. Should I seal it before truoil?

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I love the belly cuts and contours of my Stratocaster as it is my go to guitar when I am playing a 3-4 hour gig.
    When I'm feeling stronger, earlier in the night, a Telecaster with no contours pleases me as it feels like an acoustic like many of us learnt on.
    It's like a lot of things with guitars, whatever makes you happy and feel comfortable.

8. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    I know this is heresy but I really like a belly cut on a tele. Maybe it's because I played a bass that was pretty much a spector for many years. The body was basically u shaped.

9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    My Elite has a belly cut, and I don' even think about it. I just play. I love my Tele. :)

10. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Here are a few pics, the contours ended up smooth but well( I was afraid of going too crazy)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I'm not a fan of the belly cuts, but that's just because I'm a very thin guy. Not much of a belly. The slab body works much better for me. Doesn't rock back and forth while I'm playing.

12. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I like the relief and contour, and I am a small guy. Only Guitar I own now without these is a 335 style guitar.

13. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    I was at band rehearsal with my tele, and we go for about 6 hours every rehearsal. by the end, it was getting pretty uncomfortable. BUT, thats what I like about it...its the tele experience. I want to know what it was like for people that bought it in 1952. But hey, thats why they offer both, and lets be thankful they do! Different strokes :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.