Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Continuing the clip on tuner discussion....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Aug 25, 2017.

1. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    that's funny. 95% of the people for whom I have performed would probably remember the color of my guitar far more than what I played on it. And they will remember the color of my shirt. They'll go home, and in the car they'll say "that guy with the black guitar, and the red shirt, he was OK. But I liked that other guy with the blue guitar and the white shirt... you know, the guy with the red hair..."

And they never noticed that I was playing a real 1968 Fender Telecaster through a real 1955 Fender Deluxe 5E3.

waparker4, rich815 and Toto'sDad like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well, you can but...:D

tery likes this.

3. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's a perfectly good reason.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You know not to many spectators would know what the inner workings of a car going around on a NASCAR track, they just root for the guy they see in the AutoZone commercials!

tery likes this.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have two Korg clip on tuners and have used them a lot, I always keep them with the guitars but I do find them really annoying, and I'm generally not tuning in noisy areas. The ones I have just don't lock onto the low E and A strings very well at all, and they're just not very accurate.

I have Polytune pedal, I love that.

Also, Fender/Gibson whatever are always trying to sell us fancy new stuff they should throw a tuner into the body of some of these electric guitars. The only negative would be a need for a battery, but I'm sure they could figure out a way to do this that would let you still use the passive pickups if the battery was dead/not installed. Those Gibson robo tuners were stupid but just putting a tuner readout on the pickups seems like it would be fine.

I have a Taylor Academy series guitar. They already need a battery for the pickups to work, so Taylor stuck a tuner and little display on the upper bout of the guitar. You hit a button to toggle it on and it mutes the pickups. It works a hell of a lot better than my clip on tuners. If they are doing this in an acoustic guitar I don't see why they wouldn't put it on electric guitars. It would eliminate people tuning at full volume on stage.

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have an Epiphone Masterbilt that has a tuner built into it that seems very accurate, and is super easy to use. Hit the tuner, and it goes quite (at least when you're plugged in), tune, hit the tuner button again, and you're back in business

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    That is what I have and it has proven to be quite accurate. I have a cheaper clip on that won't register the B string at all. I don't really understand why people use them during performances though. Seems unnecessary to me and distracting.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    You know, I was gonna post about how I could understand not wanting to have a clip-on tuner if you were a pro and playing out in front of audiences, how it might seem a little tacky or something. Which would never an issue for me, since I play at home, mostly solo, at most a jam with a friend of mine, so who cares if I have a Snark clipped to my headstock. But I was gonna be understanding about it if you're playing out.

But in the wake of John Abercrombie's death, I've been watching some YouTubes of him, which led me to some YouTube's of Scofield, and I just watched one of Scofield being interviewed at NYU and at the beginning and end of the interview they have a few minutes of him playing his Ibanez and damn if there wasn't a big old clip on tuner hanging off the end of his headstock. Playing in front of an auditorium full of folks in New York City.

So screw it, if Scofield can play with a big old clip on tuner, y'all need to get over yourselves and use it if it helps you stay in tune, or helps you ID a note or chord that you just stumbled onto quickly (which happens to me from time to time), or whatever. Use it if you like it. If you're too cool for a clip on tuner, than you're cooler than John EFFING Scofield and, I'm sorry, but you're not cooler than John EFFING Scofield. You're just not...

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have two Polytune clip ons.
    I LOVE them!
    If anyone ever expresses an opinion on how I, or it looks on my guitar, I'll let y'all know.:rolleyes:
    When I see them on guitars, it instills a little faith in the operator.
    I know they care.
    If yer outa tune, yer a bum!

Wallo Tweed, william tele and tery like this.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't care about how it looks, I prefer pedal tuners because I hate batteries.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

That's showing the nay-sayers!!!

BobbyZ and brookdalebill like this.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Stereo ugly on a banner. Lol

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I too find that most clip-on tuners seem to pick up bass and drums especially. The Polytune one is excellent and more "ambient vibration resistant" than others I've used.

brookdalebill likes this.

14. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    At home I tune by ear......with the band I kind of have to use a tuner , always a pedal. Its kind of nice that they act as a mute as well.....
    I have no problem what tuners on headstocks looks like on other peoples guitar.......but like Bigsbys , it will never happen for me. I hate them......sorry.
    Seriously , I think clip on tuners send out the same vibe as using a music stand for your lyrics/music folder.... looks goofy to me....but not a very big deal.

15. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    So, I think I just lost one of my Snarks. Should I replace it with a new ST-8 or go for the Polytune Clip? The Polytune is about twice the price. Is it twice as good?

16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I use clip on tuners ...SNARK, for the most part they work ok. Pedal tuners are more accurate.
    My big complaint with clip on tuners is that they are almost useless out side ( last Sunday for instance ) and they don't always work or respond fast enough. I need to conserve room on my board so I use the clip on .... I much prefer the pedal type though.

17. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    SF
    Gone thru many clip-on tuners
    For electric guitars on a LOUD stage
    PT-10 mini
    Also more accurate than the other tuners I've tried

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.