Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Considering Buying a new Nocaster, need help(please)

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Andoris, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    I tried using the search function with no luck :(

I am seriously considering buying a new 51 Nocaster this weekend(most likely in the NOS format).

But I have a few questions.

-When did they change the neck from a big U to a soft V? And how do they compare?(ie is the V less chunky?)
    -Why do they label the color as Nocaster blonde and not butterscotch blonde?
    -Which would be more accurate to that time period, the Nocaster blonde color or the BSB from the AV 2012-2017 era?
    -Can it really even be called a proper Nocaster if it has 6105 frets, 9.5 radius, quartersawn neck, and soft v neck? I don't think any of the originals had those specs(but I could be wrong!)

I had a 2016 AV 52, didn't like the rolled edges. I've considered a Wildwood Thin Skin 52( a LOT less money), but don't like the roasted maple neck. Even the new Nocasters have a double-A maple neck which I'm not a huge fan of. It seems no one wants to make the traditional "pale" maple neck anymore :(

Any help would be appreciated!

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Can't really answer your first few questions, but you're right that vintage Nocasters won't have those specs. I would think there might have been some with a 9.5" radius or something close to it in the early 50's. That has been pretty well-established on this forum - I recall even seeing a spreadsheet at one time with measurements on a bunch of vintage guitars and the 7.25" was certainly not universal. Maybe someone can post a link for you to check out. Maybe this was more consistent in the Nocaster era? Maybe not.

I would imagine the same fretwire was used pretty universally back then, but not 100%.

It sorta sounds like those might be among the features you're looking for. Having a Nocaster is cool and all, if in fact you want a Nocaster. You should check out the Thin Skins though. Tremendous quality for the price and checks the boxes on those specs above. That's how I wound up with my TS strat.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Without getting into all of your own specs - because they fine, they're yours - here's a few other options to consider -

- buy a used one with the U-neck, and you won't have to worry about the v-neck thing; several on the Reverb/CME site, for example:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...VDb7ACh0RVg0REAQYASABEgKM1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- or you could order one from Ron Kirn or Bob Logan, with exactly the specs you like and probably save some money, even though it's custom built just for you.

http://www.ronkirn.com/

http://logancustomguitars.com/

the color: IMO, when new, no telecaster was "butterscotch" - it takes years of fading/UV degradation of dyes to take the original pale off-white finish to turn to butterscotch. There are many, many photos of butterscotch looking teles where you can see the original finish color under the pickguard, and it's not butterscotch. IME, YMMV, etc.

teleman1 likes this.
  4. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    I've thoroughly researched the Thin Skins(called Wildwood, talked to people on here with the recent ones), and I've found that they are essentially the same as the 2012-2017 AV's which are incredible BUT have over rolled edges/fret bevels for my liking(why I sold my 2016 52). It's a shame too because they are considerably less expensive than the Nocasters. The other issue is they ONLY have a 52 with a roasted maple neck-not something I'm interested in.

5. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    I love the idea of a soft V instead of the huge U, but have not had the opportunity to play one and compare(was hoping for some input on here about the differences). I don't buy used(not a snob thing, just like to bond with my guitar and be the person who puts every knick and wear into it). I would consider a custom built, but they are even more money than a Fender CS, so that's not an option unfortunately :(

6. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
  7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
  8. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The early specs are all over the place. Check out these specs from various serial numbers via Nacho/Musicraft:
    https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=41

Musikraft_BlackGuard_Profiles1_2.jpg

9. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    So the question still remains... of the recent Nocasters, one with the traditional large U shape vs the ones they offer now with a soft V... has anyone compared them? or does anyone have a soft V version and care to give me their opinion of it please

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...I think if you actually look into it, that's not true. For example, the Wildwood version you mention above is something like $US 4200? A Ron Kirn version might be around half of that, if I read correctly...am I missing something in your analysis?

11. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    Nocasters are 4300 plus 13% tax where I live, and Wildwood Thinskins are 2600 plus the same tax. I’d also rather have a Fender.

Both the NC and TS have the radius and frets I want, but not the pale neck as ones roasted and the other AA maple.

NC has no overolled edges, imo better color, so that’s the winner so far for me. But it’s shyty that it’s sooo much more money. The main concern comes down to the NC neck. My 2016 AV 52 was a medium U and was good. I’ve heard a lot about the NC U being massive, But the current NCs are soft Vs. Need to see if that is not too big to make the final call.

12. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    Anyone? Anyone have the soft V and can give me a comparison or their thoughts?

13. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I have a new '51 Time Machine Nocaster Journeyman Relic with the 10/56 V neck that you are asking about. I also had a Wildwood Thin Skin '52 which I sold this year.

Here are my purely subjective thoughts which may address your concerns:

Yes the '52 had over-rolled edges. Probably would not have been an issue if I was a precise, or more skilled player. It was an odd thing because looking at it closely the strings did not appear to be overly close to the edges yet I would push both E strings off at times. I have seen photos of others that look worse than the one I had.

Otherwise I loved the shape of that neck (big hands) and everything else about the guitar. I quickly missed my blackguard and wanted to replace it. I was thinking about getting the Wildwood '55 which was basically the same guitar in white. But knowing the neck was going to be the same I decided to look into custom shop Teles.

I really did not want a CS guitar but did not see any other option to get what I wanted without looking outside of the Fender brand.

So about the 10/56 V. It is only slightly different than the '52 I had. It does not feel like a V. It feels like the '52 U I had with less shoulder on the lower frets. I believe it transitions back into a more rounded shape with more shoulder as you move up the neck. I think for most people they would prefer it over the Nocaster U.

A final note though. I think the actual size has a lot to do with things. If you look at Nocasters neck sizes the vary and some of them are going to be up to an inch thick at the first fret. If that's what somebody wants then the 10/56 is going to be dramatically different. My 52 U was .9" and my Nocaster is .93"...so again they feel very similar but with the 10/56 V feeling slightly less chunky.

Again my totally subjective opinion but I feel like most people would prefer the 10/56 V over the true nocaster shape..especially those that do not have big hands.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  14. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    Thank you so much for your thoughts, I feel exactly like you do about the 52 rolled edges, and about considering he white 55, but then not because of the edges. I too miss my black guard, and I think from what you’re describing, the 10/56 sounds like it’ll work for me. My only reluctance is spending 4300 vs 2600, considering the AVs/Thin Skins are very close in quality to Cs, but then again having everything I want is probably worth the price.

How “flamy” is th neck? I really was hoping for the pale white neck from my 52, but I know the NC ones are AA flame maple and look in pictures slightly darker. Any thoughts/pic? That would be really helpful!

15. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The amount of flame varies greatly. Personally I am not a flame guy. It’s too busy for me, especially when it’s on the fretboard. I love the look of my neck specifically because you don’t see any flame on the fretboard really, just the headstock and the back of the neck. And now I’m kind of in love with the way my neck looks. But it is definitely tinted quite a bit, the NOS might be less so...not sure.

I have a bunch of pics of mine I will post tonight.

16. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    That’s how I feel too(too busy).

Pics would be greats thanks!

17. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    So here is my Nocaster's 10/56 V neck shape:

nocaster 10-56.jpg

18. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    And here is what my '51 Time Machine Journeyman Relic Nocaster neck looks like:

nocaster neck01.jpg nocaster neck02.jpg nocaster neck03.jpg nocaster neck05.jpg

Attached Files:

19. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    From what I see on the Fender site the neck color is much lighter on the NOS version.

20. Andoris

Sep 30, 2015
    Ontario
    That looks great! Thanks for uploading those pics and the neck size.

I'm guessing the blonde is more blonde than say the Wildwood or AV butterscotch blondes?

ladave likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.