Congratulations, Toronto Raptors - NBA Champs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Jun 13, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good points, all. I got a slow day today, so...

In the Knicks' case (NYK fan here, pray for me) throwing a max at KD, even injured, may be the only way they can land a top-tier FA, given the team's history since...forever.

I think there's a good possibility that KD will just re-sign with GS and rehab with his eyes on winning another chip in 20-21.

I think Klay is gonna stay put. I thought that before the injury, and he might feel he owes GS fans a comeback now.

I'm thinking Houston, but I can see the attraction of playing with 'Bron now that the West looks pretty much wide open next year.

That team is going to look a lot different for sure - like you said, they can't pay everybody. I'm thinking they tread water for a season and wait for Klay and KD to come back.

If either one of the two is going to stay, my money's on Gasol. But if Ujiri moves on, everybody might move on. (sorry, torren61!) I'm thinking Kawhi will go to the Clips if he does to LA, because 'Bron has poisoned the atmosphere around the Lakers.

If the Knicks strike out on the top-line stars, I'd love to see Green come to New York, since he's a Long Island kid.

Lin will probably just move on. While he ain't a star, he's a solid enough bench guy that someone will pick him up.

I think if Ujiri stays, Toronto has a shot to keep Kawhi. But if Washington backs up the Brinks truck for Ujiri and he goes to DC, all bets are off.

And speaking of DC - they better lock up Bradley Beal, because it looks like John Wall might be out for the full season, too. If Ujiri goes there, he's gonna have his work cut out for him.

- D

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

As a Knicks fan I feel for you. I just can't figure out how they can shoot and miss so many times on people. I thought for sure that Zion was going to NY and he ends up in New Orleans? One of the smaller markets? Really, can't the NBA figure out how to weight those ping pong balls so the biggest name coming out of college since, maybe Patrick Ewing ends up in NY?
    I know David Stern is looking at Silver and thinking, "you know with the envelope system you can move those cards around a little bit..." LOL

I still believe that Isaiah T messed the Knicks up so badly they are still paying for it today.

I do have to say as a DFW guy I am glad somewhat for the dysfunction of the Garden. Otherwise we would not have been able to give you a couple of overpaid players, a pair of first round picks (I was not too sure about that, the draft is a crap shoot unless you have a top 5 pick) and a disgruntled point guard who can't shoot for a FREAKISH big man in Kristaps, a serviceable point guard in Trey Burke and a pretty good shooting guard in Tim Hardaway Jr.

I do have to say that having Kristaps and Luca on the same floor has people down here buzzing!

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. The goalie was "lights out" - and for being a rookie, in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals, that's sayin' something!

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I was a Philly fan, too, from the late 60's to 2013, when I retired and my wife and I moved to NC. Now, we only get NC and GA pro sports on TV. :confused:

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

They may have won with KD and Klay, but I don't see a sweep. Toronto is so disciplined and GS defense was not up to par, even with those two; poor Boogie has no lateral movement or leaping, I think that Achilles Heel has done him in. On another subject, I can see Klay coming back from ACL surgery, others have in sports (I did), but Achilles? Not so much. Look at Kobe and Boogie. Not good for KD.

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I belong to the RealGM basketball forums, and I signed up smack in the middle of the Marbury era, if you can call it that. My user name reflected how I felt at the time - it's 'makeitstop.' :)

And as for the draft - it figures that they year we get a top 3 pick, they drop the odds of getting the #1 way down. Just Knicks' fans luck! But I'll be happy if RJ Barrett is available, kid's gonna be special. He was actually viewed as the #1 pick in that draft until Zion started being Zion.

Those were dark days for sure. But the new front office guys seem to have a better handle on what they're doing - they're holding on to their picks and staying away from over-the-hill or damaged players. Of course, that could change if they throw a max at KD.

Believe it or not, I'm hoping they keep DeAndre Jordan around if they can get him relatively cheap. He's a vet presence and we need that, and he's taken Mitchell Robinson under his wing, and that kid showed marked improvement after DJ got there.

Out of everyone who left in that trade, I gotta say I miss Trey Burke the most. That kid is tough, and he's driven. THJr, eh. I wasn't really feeling that deal they gave him - for $17 mil a year you should be able to carry a team, and as good as he was from time to time, he doesn't have the killer instinct his old man had.

They should be rockin' if KP can stay on the floor. As gifted as he is, I think he might be kind of brittle. That's the only thing you're gonna have to watch out for. Good luck to both of us.

- D

7. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Team play wins!

Congrats to the Raptors.

Rustbucket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.