Congratulations, Toronto Raptors - NBA Champs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

YEP!! I turned it on with 9 seconds left on the clock and I mostly saw standing around for 10 minutes. So anti climatic.... Literally two plays with ~3 seconds of action..

How do you end a great season and series with such nonsense?

TEX

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Must be a rear admiral deal

3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Welcome to the NBA. The last minute of a game takes as long as the entire rest of the game.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The whole last few seconds was pretty weird. GS trying to call a timeout when they didn't have one was an odd mistake, but I'd chalk it up to reflex in that case.

I think on the last inbounds, they had to review to see whether Kawhi got the ball off in time. Kinda weird. While they were waiting on the ruling, Draymond Green was already congratulating Raps team members on winning the game.

Took the steam out of the celebration for sure.

- D

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But came closer than anyone else. Nobody else fought the Raptor's to a seventh game, it took a miracle 4-bounce shot at the buzzer in game 7 to beat the Sixers. If it had gone to OT, the result may have been the same, but that series was essentially a toss-up where the Raptors looked pretty dominant against Milwaukee and even GS. Not that it matters, everyone but us Philly die-hards have already forgotten it. Just like in about a week everyone other than GS die-hards will have forgotten about all their injuries and will just remember that the Raptors are the champs, and the rightful ones at that.

6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depending on the off-season, either may be back or neither may be back for a loooong time. If the Raptors sign Kawhi and add another free-agent or two, they could be at the beginning of something pretty impressive. If Kawhi goes home to California, it may be another forever or two before Toronto wins again. Similarly, depending on the seriousness of KD's and CT's injures, my guess is neither plays next year, which makes Golden State unlikely to be back and then who knows going forward. If Durant's not there, the Warriors are just another great but aging team who might have another one in them but might not.

We'll see, but you can't take ANYTHING for granted in the NBA anymore.

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

So now all free agents land in L.A. with Lebron and....blah.

8. StrangerNY

Wow, Klay Thompson is going to be out until at least next April with a torn ACL. GS really caught some bad luck this season.

- D

9. StrangerNY

Dunno, man. 'Bron really damaged his rep with the whole Anthony Davis thing. He destroyed the morale of that team by talking about wanting to get AD.

Maybe guys aren't too excited about playing with a guy who will toss them under the bus, even if he is a generational player. They might get another piece, but I don't think a lot of FAs are gonna line up to play in LA.

- D

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

That loss hurt.

Congrats to the Raptors. I will say the Warriors are one of the most gracious teams in defeat. Each Warrior made a point of congratulating each Raptor after the Warriors lost.

KD, it could well be the end of his domination in the league. Most players do not return to their previous form after an injury like his.

With a healthy KD and Clay for the entire series I’m not sure the Warriors would have won. With a healthy Clay I think we may have. It just seemed like we never had a solid flow for long with KD in the line up. I saw the same with KD and Westbrook in OKC. KD is fantastic but he needs to operate on his own, win the game or loose the game on his own. Curry on the other hand makes everybody around him better.

12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Please let me have a couple of days before telling me it could all fall apart. ESPN was already posting rumors about Masai Ujiri being courted by the Wizards moments after the game. :)

StrangerNY likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I think of them as the nation's Toronto teams, Just like The Globe and Mail is Canada's Toronto paper. :p

tvvoodoo and Rustbucket like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Geoff, sounds like you've been without a Championship for too long. But this is what winning looks and feels like. What ifs. Dissections. We had the same thing when the Saints won it all in 2009. People wanted to analyze it. My recommendation is to enjoy the high of it and don't be distracted because this is virtually always the way it is.

And remember, the alternative may be what St. Louis is experiencing in some circles. I've gone to discuss the contest with folks I thought followed hockey (they do when they're winning) and they change the subject. So, at least people are talking about the Raptors.

And remember what pains the people of Oakland are about to go through with the relocation of the Warriors. Toronto, win or lose, wasn't going to have to experience that.

P Thought likes this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm not a Lebron hater, but I don't really care for his self-appointed role as elder statesman of the league and de facto GM. I respect his activism and charity work, I respect his skills on the court, but beyond that, just show up and play basketball. Allow yourself to be coached. Be a good teammate. Stop trying to manipulate trades.

I can't put myself in any of their shoes, but I have to assume that if I was a career journeyman NBA player, I'd want to play with him for the chance for a ring. If I was an elite top-tier NBA player that can handle my own, I think I'd rather have nothing to do with him.

ElJay370 and StrangerNY like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't forget that Canada is basically built around Toronto. Everything else accretes onto Ontario and that it is therefore always going to be the functional nucleus of the country. You've got to have a bloody war to incorporate Quebec and Montreal into the same country with it. Heck, as recently as 100 years ago, some of the Maritime Provinces had their own coinage. And everything from Thunder Bay west was (is?) either about agriculture, fishing, natural resource extraction or money laundering.

Toronto is huge next to any other Canadian city. It sure dwarfed us over in Buffalo and Niagara Falls. If we were looking for some hard to find thing we didn't look to NYC, we looked to Toronto. If they'd only had some decent food there (at the time in the late 1960s) moving there would've been extremely tempting. Oh, and they also didn't have babes walking in bikinis on the beach. :^)

black_doug and Rustbucket like this.
  17. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Leonard is a breast! What a truly great player a well deserving of MVP. Fred Van Fleet had a great series to and Pascal is going to be a great player.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd reply to that but I'm too busy hewing wood, drawing water, and laundering money. ;)

g-Paul, kelnet and StrangerNY like this.
  19. StrangerNY

They're gonna go hard at Ujiri - offering him an ownership stake and everything. I hope he stays in Toronto, for what it's worth.

- D

warrent likes this.
  20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Man I loved this series, it was so tough and that each team won on the other's home floor, crazy!

Both teams may look remarkably different next year.

GSW has the following free agents:
    Kevin Durant - if he does sign the one year opt in, he is out till at least the finals next year. And my take is someone (I am looking at you NY and Brooklyn) will make the mistake of giving him a max four year deal where he doesn't play the first year at all.
    Klay Thompson - Torn ACL, FREE AGENT now. He will get a deal to stay in GS, but the chance to be "the man" somewhere else is interesting. But the fact that he is out till next year might garner him resigning in GS as the odds on favorite. I can imagine that the Gold and Purple of LA has some pull as well.
    Boogie Cousins - FREE AGENT now. He will move on I think. I don't really think that his game works with the movement of GS. Look for him to land in Houston, or maybe in LA with Bron if they can't get AD.
    Bogut, Jerekbo, Looney, Cook and Bell are all FREE AGENTS. GSW can't give them all contracts so some of these guys will move on. The sad thing for GSW is the aging of the role players (Iggy and Livingston) and how long they can play at an elite lever.

And the Raptors:
    Kwahi and Marc Gasol both have player options for next year. Both will opt out is my guess although Gasol gets $25M to stay, but I am going to say someone will offer him a mid max deal (again I am looking at you NY and Brooklyn) for a big guy who can shoot. Kwahi has done his duty with Toronto, won a championship so now he can go play wherever. I would not be surprised if he ended up with the Clips as he has been rumored to want to return to LA. Anyway he will get a max deal from someone.
    Danny Green is a FREE AGENT. He will be sought after as a 3 and D guy. Don't be surprised if he ends up on a contender again for next year.
    The rest if their team is either under contract or is a seldom used players (Jeremy Lin) whose contracts are up.
    They may just reload although getting a star to come to Toronto is a tough sell. Their best course is throw everything at Kwahi, give him the keys to the city, the prime minister's title and rename the city to Kwahisville and they might have a shot.

P Thought, warrent and StrangerNY like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.