Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Concerts you went to where the opening act got booed off the stage

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mark Davis, Jan 19, 2010.

1. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I saw the Beastie Boys open for Treble Funk opening for The Red Hot Chili Peppers at Lincoln Hall at the University of Chicago. Must have been late 80's early 90's This was before the Beastie Boys had become popular. They came out doing their thing and the audience basically went, "what the hell is this," and started booing. I was bummed because I thought they were putting on a cool show, but the audience didn't get it. They left after a few songs.

2. Vic Vega

Vic Vega TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2010
    SW Idaho
    Not sure about the order, but in Boulder in '86 VH was on the 5150 tour. Also playing were BTO, Dio, maybe someone else, and Leslie West came out and played Mississippi Queen with BTO. Loverboy opened or came out after BTO (can't remember). I don't think they made it through the first song. Couldn't really tell over the booing. The singer ran off the stage crying. At least that's the way I remember it. They really did not fit into the lineup.

3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I saw The Who in '82 at Tempe stadium. John Cougar was one of the openers. At one point in the show, someone lobbed a bottle and hit poor John in the head. As far as I can remember, that ended his set. Sounds like John got a fair share of abuse from the crowds in the early 80's.

In '77 or '78, we saw Jethro Tull with UK as the opener. There were some drunks behind us who screamed for UK to get off the stage. They did this for a while, but by the end of the opening set they were cheering for more. I thought UK was almost as good as Tull.

4. tooncaster

tooncaster Tele-Afflicted

May 16, 2010
    Portlandia
    I saw The Stones at Rich Stadium in 1981. Opening acts were George Thoroughgood, who got the crowd in the proper blues rock mood and earned three encores -- and Journey, who barely lasted half an hour before the audience started booing. I was 12 at the time and even then it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

5. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    NC
    I'm a native Charlottean and have heard the story since the early 80's probably. I heard he was not booed off but rather the crowd just did not know what to make of him.

Maybe it's a small, Southern town thing but I've never heard of any act being booed off stage locally. We're a pretty accommodating bunch - there was that time when Talking Heads open for Van Halen... I'm sure that is changing now with our explosion in growth

6. Demo

Demo Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I remember back around 1969 Dion (solo) opened for the Bob Seger System, who were followed by Jethro Tull. The performer was an obvious mismatch, by to accentuate it, Dion started out by launching into this staunch anti-drug message. He wasn't booed OFF STAGE, but he was harassed and happy to conclude his set.

7. NewTelePlayer

NewTelePlayer TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2010
    SoCal
    I attended high school with David Lowery. Didn't really know him all that well, but he was a strange and interesting guy. I like a lot of his work.

8. NewTelePlayer

Jul 9, 2010
    SoCal
    I was at that show. The heat and humidity were brutal. Most of the bands were good to great. Nugent rocked. Styx sucked something fierce. The whole play/presentation was pretentious and laughable. Tommy Shaw should be embarrassed. It really was awful.

9. NewTelePlayer

Jul 9, 2010
    SoCal

10. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2007
    anderson, indiana
    Hank Jr

I went to Hank Jr. at the Indiana State Fair and Sawyer Brown got booed off the stage !! They were just coming out after "Star Search", and had a couple hits already, but everybody just booed and chanted ... Hank.... Hank.... Hank !!!!!!! I kinda felt sorry for them.:oops: They were puttin on a purty good show. That's also the only time I saw a crack pipe. A guy 2 rows behind me was hittin the rock. :mad: Hank Jr. fans are just fanatical !!!! I saw him 3 times... 2 good ones and one that he was so wasted he couldn't hardly do it.:rolleyes: It was aweful. But, I am a Hank fan to this day !!:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

11. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2007
    anderson, indiana
    Also... talking of opening acts outperforming the headliner. I bought tickets to a .38Special show in Indy. I forget who the opening acts was supposed to be, but we were all pumped !! Well, the opening act pulled out and they had to scramble to get a replacement. They came up with a new band called "Bon Jovi" !!!! They literally blew .38 Special away !!!!!! It was right when their first album came out. They were awesome !! We were all like..... What the heck just happened ????:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

12. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2009
    Southern California
    Inglewood, California--The Fabulos Fourm- about 1970; Jerry Lee Lewis opened for the Doors, got booed off--I think he walked off saying "I hope you'all have heart attacks." Also, I recall Jim Morrison tried to say something supportive about Lewis when he came on. It was a decent thing for that bad boy to do.

13. Earguy

Earguy Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    B-52s opening for The Who got boo'ed off, It's Hard tour...1981? A bad pairing for the time.

Bonnie Bell opening for AC/DC. She was just awful on this particular night. This was on the For Those About To Rock tour.

14. napawino

napawino Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2007
    Great NW
    The Alex Harvey Band opened for Jethro Tull back in the 80's. The booing started just about half way through the 3rd song, and got louder and louder until they quit playing, and the singer started telling us to F off and things of that nature, and then they left.

The Stories opened for Joe Walsh, and got the same treatment. Seattle in the 80's could be pretty brutal on opening acts.

There were many more. But those two, I felt bad for them. It was embarrassing. Especially Alex Harvey. That band could kick ass if you gave them a chance. But it wasn't going to happen with a Tull crowd.

15. eplain

eplain NEW MEMBER!

Jul 13, 2010
    Connecticut
    Are you sure it was Rich Stadium?

Because at the Rolling Stones show at JFK in Philly (1981), Journey was booed off stage after just a few songs because we were all just tired of waiting all those hours. George Thorogood was great but, we all just wanted to see the Stones and didn't want to wait any longer. Steve Perry (Journeys lead singer) left the stage yelling out- "Just remember, YOU made us #1 on the charts". I never saw anything like that.

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I experienced exactly the same with The Faces (w/Rod Stewart and Ron Wood) in Oslo in the early 70's. Only they didn't come back for an encore, but left after the first set. They sounded absolutely terrible that night, but LOUD!

17. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I saw almost the opposite happen when The Pixies opened up for Love and Rockets at the Civic Center in Madison, WI back in 1990. The Pixies got incredible applause and came back for an encore! They deserved it, they were truly mind-blowing. The Love and Rockets set was anti-climactic, and people were shuffling out halfway through.

18. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It was a Stones crowd thing. Prince leaving the stage however is an urban legend. It was 1981 at the LA Coliseum the first of a two day set. Prince was coming off the Dirty Minds album and had started some crossover appeal and his stage show started having some of the Controversy and Revolution era touches. "Am I Black or White, Straight or Gay". He was only playing a five song set and during the third song you could hear some boos. The Black radio stations played up the booing in the aftermath and the racial baggage made the story bigger over the years.

The funny thing is he created The Time and touched on being abandoned by the black audience, not as much as Jimi Hendrix was mind you, in Purple Rain where the club owner is telling him that the audience doesn't understand what he was doing.

19. Telebubba

Telebubba Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2010
    Portland Oregon
    I saw Skynyrd a few years ago and the opening act was a bunch of local Portland kids doing that metal/rap thing, complete with Limp Bizkit style choreography. Poor guys. Whoever booked them should be shot. I mean, seriously? They had to know that Skynyrd demographic would eat them alive.

I saw the Joe Perry Project in Atlanta in the 80's, not exactly booed off the stage, but close. The audience rolled their eyes and proceeded to ignore them and get drunk. I guess they were just hoping if they matched Joe's intoxication level it would sound better. He was pretty awful that night.

20. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Hillsboro, OR
    Y'know, I've been trying for years to remember who I saw UK with. I knew I'd seen them, but never as the headliner. One of those head-scratching mysteries solved at last!

I saw Jethro Tull several times (and could never remember the other opening acts either). Did they ever tour with Gentle Giant? Another one I can't place...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.