Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Concerts you went to where the opening act got booed off the stage

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mark Davis, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

I seen Hank Jr in N.C. mid 80s. He was throwing whole sentences between words of songs in his acoustic set. His band forced thier way back on stage to try and save the show. That audience was alot more forgiving than a Philly crowd would have been. He started out rock'n - don't know what he had behind the amps. 'Cause he fell apart quick.

2. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

I seen Hank Jr in N.C. mid 80s. He was throwing whole sentences between words of songs in his acoustic set. His band forced thier way back on stage to try and save the show. That audience was alot more forgiving than a Philly crowd would have been. He started out rock'n - don't know what he had behind the amps. 'Cause he fell apart quick.

How do I delete this??????

3. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I saw a band called Raggedy Ann get booed when they were third on a bill
    with AC/DC headlining. This was very early in AC/DC's US career.

I dont think they were booed off stage, but there was quite a bit of booing.

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Long John Baldry, opening for Buddy Miles at the Portland Sports Arena in 1971. He looked great, tall and thin, wearing an almost yellow suit. Kids started tossing firecrackers at him from one side of the stage. He was so calm and suave, just walking over to the other side of the stage, saying, "I'll go over here where people have better manners." I'll always remember the unflappable vibe he put out. But, alas, firecrackers started coming from that side, too. At that point, his road manager hustled him and the band off stage. No announcements or talk at all. Just gone, and fast.

5. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    This is the most depressing thread I've ever seen. It's the worst kind of felling to be in one of those crowds, I guess all of those who are booing, throwing stuff, etc are too good to simply tolerate a band huh? It's one thing if the band is terrible and then, when the crowd lets them know, starts to act like jerks I guess. I don't know, I've never booed a band or sports team. Maybe I've never seen the right one(or wrong one, depending).

6. cubicub

cubicub TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw the cars open for the allman bros. @ alpine valley late 70s. The crowd just didn't give them a chance, booing started immediately. To bad this was when getting high was more important to the Bros. than the music, bad show. Also saw Ten Years after reunion tour mid 70s @ the Chicago Amphitheater, after a 50 min set, the band left the stage, lights came on, booing started, roadies came to the front of the stage, each one had alphabet letter on their shirt. What did it say?........... F...k y.u , well wrong thing to do... The place went up for grabs, lucky to get out alive!

7. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2010
    Rialto, CA. USA
    Yep, 1981 at the Los Angeles Coliseum, Pince opened for the Stones on the Tattoo You tour. Prince came out wearing a little black bikini bottom and a satin purple robe and people did not know hat to make of him (mind you that this was before 1999 and Little Red Corvette).

The other two opening bands...yes there were four bands that day...were The J. Giles Band and George Thorogood and the Deleware Destroyers.

8. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

May 5, 2012
    buckley,michigan
    This was nuts! 1969, The Grande Ballroom, Detroit.
    The headliner is The Who doing Tommy for the first time anywhere.
    Tom Wright was the Grande manager and the manager of the Who. So they send these two local kids out on stage with an electric guitar, a drum set and a tape recorder
    [doing backing tracks !]. It was a train wreck. The crowd got very hostile. The poor guys were never seen or heard of again.
    Next out, an unknown Joe Cocker ! He almost stoled the show. Fantastic !

9. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2010
    Rialto, CA. USA
    That is correct, I saw George Straight in 1985 in Riverside, Ca at a country bar (I think it was called the Palomino or Palomino Station...something like that) and he was fairly new at that time but I did reconize some songs. As for Amarillo By Morning, it was indeed writen by Terry Stafford in the early 1970's. My guitar teacher was Mr. Johnny Fortune, who was, Terry's guitar player and play guitar on that recording as well as having some incredible surf music...check him out on Youtube.

10. fendahbendah57

fendahbendah57 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2011
    San Jose
    1980, Providence, Rhode Island I saw Thin Lizzy. Opening band was a band called Code Blue a kind of 3 piece power pop song. They didn't make it past 2 songs. It was embarassing. I can't recall them being bad, I think think the crowd was there to listen to Lizzy and nothing else.

11. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I saw The Who in '82 or '83. The first band was The B-52s. The crowd was booing before they hit the stage and threw cups, shirts and even a shoe, which hit the redhead in the hair. They played 3 songs and while the road crew swept the stage said "we get it, you don't like us". They then played Rock Lobster and left. Total playing time, <20 minutes.

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts came out an hour and a half later. They got a little, but not much, more respect. It's a shame the crowd was so rude. It wasn't like there was anything else going on or that The Who showed up earlier to play a longer set. :rolleyes:

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I used to go see George Strait a lot in the mid-70s. He did not have a record contract with MCA until 1981. I cannot remember if he was singing Amarillo By Morning back then, but maybe. He was doing mostly covers and some Clay Blaker songs, a few of which wound up on his records.

13. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2012
    Oregon
    I haven't seen a band booed off a stage yet, but I have seen some darn rude behavior towards some undeserving talent, and tolerance of some pretty bad examples of a lack of professionalism.

Jimmy Vaughn and the thunderbirds played a whale of a set opening for Clapton at the coliseum in Portland in 80 or 81, but I think it was just a young crowd that didn't know who they were or maybe the questionable watusi pants and white shoes, I don't know. They caught a lot of grief that night. Eric was just phoning it in after that, I remember he was talking to back up singers with his back to the crowd during some solos and at the end said goodnight and disappeared.

Saw a scorpions show that must have been the result of an argument on the bus or something, two guitars playing over each other and stepping on the singer till he just went over and held the mike up to a guitar with a look like he was thinking of using it as a club. Crowd was silent after a few of the tunes, like no one was sure if it was part of the act. Ted Nugent even walked out on stage like he wanted to see what was happening for himself but left without playing. He came out for his set wailing like he had to make up for what we had just seen, but it was his Wango Tango era and I was hoping for earlier stuff and left early.

14. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    The funniest instance of this I have only seen on video. Some type of triple-
    bill arena thing in the 80's.

Styx was on the bill during the "Mr Roboto" era. Their act consisted of starting
    the show setting up the robot theme and Dennis DeYoung explaining how robots
    were taking over the world.

Keep in mind, he was only basically talking, and the band is not playing during
    this.

Well. the crowd only wanted to rock, and booed them mercilessly. Then the
    audience pelted them with fruit and anything else they could get their hands
    on.

15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2012
    houston
    :lol: this is going to open another thread, which band has had the most opening acts booed off the stage?!!!

my vote....The Who!!! dayumm they have had a lots of boo-ees. I saw them in the astrodome somewhere around 1977, I slept a lot since then and Bob Marley opened. It was horrible what the crowd did...Its mob rule at that point in large crowds such as this was. I think in the astrodome at the time there were close to 70,000 people at the show and they wanted The Who. Of course Bob Marley at the time wasnt as famous as he was after he died. Rock will do that to a few.

Rock and Roll will never die!!! and musicians will continue to get booed as long as there are people who listen to them.

16. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2003
    this side of hell
    The first Police Picnic outside Toronto in '82?? Great show but they pulled the plug on Nash the Slash after two tunes. He was a strange performer wrapped his head in bandages to look like the mummy with sun glasses?

Heatwave Mosport Racetrack summer of '80 another great lineup. Rumours flying around about the Clash making surprise appearance. Some band called the Studs (last band after Elvis Costello) came out to a rapidly dwindling crowd. Someone threw a bootle on stage and it hit perfectly on something and exploded in a million pieces showering the band with broken glass. Needless to say, they gave the audience a dirty look and left the stage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.